Setting up Google Voice and T-Mobile

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking for help from users of Google voice on how to set it up best.

I am a Canadian in the US currently for the winter and have several mobile numbers ( I understand you must use a number that they can confirm)

Questions:

Is it best to get a brand new number?

If I use my T Mobile prepaid number is their any chance it will get charged for minutes.

If I opt for a new number probably my preference they need a US number to confirm. Does that number continue to be used by Voice?
IE: when you get a call to the google voice number does it use the number from T-Mobile and get forwarded to the voice number? If so I wonder if T-Mobile detect this and can stop it or charge against your prepaid minutes.
I only have the $30 plan with 100 minutes so important.

Any other helpful info from users would be welcome

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You can use your GV number with any of the various wifi apps and make free calls as long as you are on wifi. I am in the US and have been doing this to make free and receive free calls from my friend in Dubai.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So anyone have any suggestions on which app is best for wifi calling.

I see several Talkatone and Grooveip

Is the sound quality fairly good?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had moderate results with GrooVe IP. However, these apps will stop working I think April of 2014. Google is changing how apps can use the Google Voice service. Hopefully by that time Google will VOIP to Hangouts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had moderate results with GrooVe IP.
It seems to have worked well enough for me, tho I've never used it extensively/seriously. Only played with it on my tablet. I've got unlimited minutes on my handset and reduced roaming charges in over 100 countries, so I don't have much incentive to use it.

One reason my wife and I have done nothing more than play with our GV numbers has been...

However, these apps will stop working I think April of 2014. Google is changing how apps can use the Google Voice service. Hopefully by that time Google will VOIP to Hangouts.
Ah, there we go ;) I didn't know when that was coming, but I knew it had to be only a matter of time. Google's paying for the provisioning, termination and transit for that traffic. Not-to-mention the cost to develop and support the service. When you use something like GrooveIP with it, there's no way for them to monetize it. Unless they started charging for the service, a move they keep pushing back, year-by-year.

Now imagine how you'd feel if you'd ported your own mobile number to Google Voice, only to have them change the rules of the game on you, after the fact. I think I'd be more than a little annoyed.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I use Spare Phone. I have had better luck with that than groove IP and talkatone. However it's been months since I used those so they may have improved. Who knows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk