Visual Voicemail data- can I transfer it to another phone?

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been using a Nexus 4, and now have a Nexus 5.

I use T-Mobiles Visual Voicemail. I have several important voicemails stored on the Nexus 4. I'd love to transfer the data to my Nexus 5 so I can listen to it on that phone as well.

Several backup apps I've looked at don't save the voicemails that are stored on the phone. I know I can send the text of the message, but sometimes it's not clear. I know also I can save the audio as an AMR file, but that still doesn't get it into T-Mobile Visual Voicemail on the new phone. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for anyone's help.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hit menu and do "save to". You can save the files anywhere on your phone then email them, put them on a SD card, or anything else.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hit menu and do "save to". You can save the files anywhere on your phone then email them, put them on a SD card, or anything else.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

While I can save the VM that way, it doesn't save it in a format that the new phone can read in the TM VVM app. But I did find a way.

I just did it successfully with the app Helium. I installed it on both phones. It backed up VMM to a folder called Carbon, then I dragged that folder to my PC desktop and from there to the new phone, then used the app to restore it and all my VM are just were I want them!

I use TM, and this is the first app that has been able to accomplish this with TM's VVM.

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
While I can save the VM that way, it doesn't save it in a format that the new phone can read in the TM VVM app. But I did find a way.

I just did it successfully with the app Helium. I installed it on both phones. It backed up VMM to a folder called Carbon, then I dragged that folder to my PC desktop and from there to the new phone, then used the app to restore it and all my VM are just were I want them!

I use TM, and this is the first app that has been able to accomplish this with TM's VVM.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but was doing some searching & came across this thread.

I found an old post of dcrandon's in the HTC EVO LTE forum & now I'm in the process of upgrading from my Evolte to an M8 & am trying to perform the same operation. I installed Helium but didn't see any options to backup VVM.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while, but to the best of my recollection, you don't do a backup specific to VVM. You do a general backup, and the VVM data is saved in the folder Carbon.

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while, but to the best of my recollection, you don't do a backup specific to VVM. You do a general backup, and the VVM data is saved in the folder Carbon.

Ok great, I'll try that...

[edit] Hmm, all I see in this version are options to either select all or each app individually. Selecting HTC sense & the backup fails. I did select all & there is another program as well causing it to crash I assume. Ah well.

Last edited:

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Playing around a little more & it looks like it doesn't matter as this new vvm doesn't have an archive folder like the older version. It only allows you to save messages to individual AMR files, so if I copy them over they'll be on the phone. Unfortunately, they don't show up nicely in vvm with the date & caller info.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember the folder they were in, but I remember looking around and finding them and then putting them in the same folder on the new phone.

I also seem to remember having to go back to a previous version of VVM to get it done, as when i did it, VVM wasn't compatible yet with the N5 and I had to side load it.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Playing around a little more & it looks like it doesn't matter as this new vvm doesn't have an archive folder like the older version. It only allows you to save messages to individual AMR files, so if I copy them over they'll be on the phone. Unfortunately, they don't show up nicely in vvm with the date & caller info.

Dredge up my old post.....OK, here's how you transfer the VVM calls. I just did it from my Nexus5 to my new Nexus 6.

Use the app Helium. Follow the directions on how to install it. Install it on both phones. Use Helium to back up the VVM from your old phone. It will be backed up to a folder called Carbon. Plug your phone into your computer and drag the VVM stuff from the folder Carbon to your desktop. Unplug that phone and plug you new phone into your computer. Drag the VVM stuff from your desktop into the folder Carbon on your new phone. Use Helium on your new phone to do a restore of your VVM stuff. It will appear within the VVM app as usual. Yeah!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair