T-Mobile Coverage in Chicago Land Area

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So given the awesome news at @CESlive 2014 today by T-Mobile T-Mobile details its plan to pay your ETF from another carrier | Android Central, I'm a very interested candidate in this latest promotion by T Mo.

Next question.. I'm coming from Sprint's horrible service in Chicago land suburbs (Plainfield, Illinois) area and wanted to get some feedback on carrier service as in signal quality, reliability, etc here in Chicago from other T Mo customers...

Thanks!

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The deal sounds too good to be true and if you look and compare what you get with Verizon and AT&T you will learn its not a great deal. I am always looking for a deal but in the end for what I pay I am sticking with Verizon. The biggest downfall with T Mobile is their coverage and data speeds, if you research this you will find hundreds of complaints.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The deal sounds too good to be true and if you look and compare what you get with Verizon and AT&T you will learn its not a great deal. I am always looking for a deal but in the end for what I pay I am sticking with Verizon. The biggest downfall with T Mobile is their coverage and data speeds, if you research this you will find hundreds of complaints.

True in some respects. You will always find complaints. I think anything at this point is a step up from Sprint. Sprint is going nowhere even remotely fast compared to its competitors.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I used to have T-Mobile in Chicago. Was great for the most part. Every carrier has issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Coverage is an issue but only if you travel. If you're like me and stay in the same city... And get coverage all over that city... Tmobile is great.

As you can see my data speeds are very good and i'd bet on par with your Verizon. Either way they aren't slow and you can do anything on this connection.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1389271837824.jpg
    1389271837824.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 1389271847333.jpg
    1389271847333.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 67

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also this was last month's usage... Just to show you that it works if the coverage in your city is good :).

Attachments

• 1389271929863.jpg
    1389271929863.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Coverage is an issue but only if you travel. If you're like me and stay in the same city... And get coverage all over that city... Tmobile is great.

As you can see my data speeds are very good and i'd bet on par with your Verizon. Either way they aren't slow and you can do anything on this connection.

This is true if coverage is good in the area you stay in TMO is good but I'd you travel and frequent high rise buildings then I would use another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is true if coverage is good in the area you stay in TMO is good but I'd you travel and frequent high rise buildings then I would use another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. I was just mainly showing you it isn't all bad... Telling someone to Google a company to see complaints is pointless now a days especially with carriers because carriers are so area dependent that you can find complaints about any carrier by doing a Google search.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I stay in Chicago and used every carrier and I can honestly say besides the couple of dead spots I have no complaints about T-Mobile. Good speeds at a good price. I avg about 15-20mb on hspa+.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

Saumya Shah

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So given the awesome news at @CESlive 2014 today by T-Mobile T-Mobile details its plan to pay your ETF from another carrier | Android Central, I'm a very interested candidate in this latest promotion by T Mo.

Next question.. I'm coming from Sprint's horrible service in Chicago land suburbs (Plainfield, Illinois) area and wanted to get some feedback on carrier service as in signal quality, reliability, etc here in Chicago from other T Mo customers...

Thanks!

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

I switched to T mobile as well about two months now. I live in Chicago as well. So far no complain. Loving it compared to sprint. I get up to 10-14mbps data speed anywhere around with decent signals and voice quality in Chicago so far and yes sometimes during busy hours the data drops on 3G still 6+ mbps which is better than sprint anytime. But still overall much better than sprint without a doubt. I use nexus 4 and my gf uses iPhone 5s on t mobile and we love it.

Last edited:

Okris27

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I was like you with sprint and switched to t-mobile recently. Night and day difference. T-mobile far better data speeds and signal in Chicagoland. Won't go back to sprint.

Posted via Android Central App on my Sony Z1s

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you make the switch to T-mo? How's it working out for you in Chicago? My Galaxy s3 with unlimited VZW data has been very unimpressive lately. The metra ride from Park Ridge into the city has shown how spotty VZW can be even in a metro area. Tmo pricing, uncarrier initiatives, etc. look enticing. Thoughts on the move to Tmo? Thanks.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you make the switch to T-mo? How's it working out for you in Chicago? My Galaxy s3 with unlimited VZW data has been very unimpressive lately. The metra ride from Park Ridge into the city has shown how spotty VZW can be even in a metro area. Tmo pricing, uncarrier initiatives, etc. look enticing. Thoughts on the move to Tmo? Thanks.

I live in Bloomingdale, not too far from you. Tmobile's been great for me. It deeps to 2g if I go real west, like Elburn, but as long as I stay in the "real" suburbs I haven't had any problems.

I say give them a try with their new iphone promo. they just released volte, but I cant use it since I have a nexus 5

oscari

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I live in Northwest Indiana and I have LTE and the signal is rather good I'd say. In my area I have better signal than my Verizon buddies.

Posted via Android Central App

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm actually interested in hearing how T-Mo is in the Chi-land area as well. I must say Sprint in the near west 'burbs is getting better but their building penetration is still bad. Whenever I'm in a mall, store, restaurant or office building it's a crap shoot on whether I get a data signal or not.

dhawk123

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Around the River Forest/Elmwood Park area I've noticed 40-60mbps now on T-mobile. Also have tested out the VoLTE on a Galaxy Note 3. Sounds pretty good.

How is VoLTE?

Sad that we have VoLTE but not wideband lte. I'd rather take wideband over volte. I came from Sprint. My bill went from 300 (5 lines + hotspot) to 150ish with a better network so I'm extremely happy!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm jealous!

I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm jealous!

I'm just east of you in Oak Park and my speeds are much lower, 20 - 25 mbps. Though this is acceptable, my son who is on VZW is in the 60 - 80mbps range. Wish TMo would upgrade the towers in my area.

I'm in OP and there must be a tower cluster somewhere off Lake Street. Whenever I'm there Sprint's network is fast same thing with Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20