How do I try out T-Mobile's network?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I want to reduce our phone costs. We have 2 phones currently on Verizon and it running us about $170/mo. It looks like we can get a similar plan (ie same 2 GB data cap) for $100/mo with TMobile. Sounds great, but I want to ensure that there is coverage where we go. To test this out I was thinking about getting a SIM an plugging it into a deactivated (AT&T) iPhone 4 I use for app testing. Can I get a month long plan for this device? If so, can I just run over to t-Mobile and pick up a SIM?

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I try out TMobile's network?

T-Mobile has a $3/day PAYG plan that comes with a nominal amount of data. I'm not sure if you can use this plan with smartphones, but I don't remember seeing any exclusions. As far as using the iPhone 4 for testing, that may not be a good idea because it likely doesn't have the UMTS 1700 band, and IIRC it doesn't have LTE either.

A SIM card will probably cost you $10.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I want to reduce our phone costs. We have 2 phones currently on Verizon and it running us about $170/mo. It looks like we can get a similar plan (ie same 2 GB data cap) for $100/mo with TMobile. Sounds great, but I want to ensure that there is coverage where we go. To test this out I was thinking about getting a SIM an plugging it into a deactivated (AT&T) iPhone 4 I use for app testing. Can I get a month long plan for this device? If so, can I just run over to t-Mobile and pick up a SIM?

Is the iPhone 4 unlocked? It won't work with T-Mobile unless it is. If your Verizon phones are LTE with a SIM card, you can use one of those. All Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked and work with any SIM card. You may not get LTE, but otherwise everything will work, including data.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Thanks guys. I want to ensure that voice and voicemail work These are more important than data. Since the Verizon phone (droid DNA) uses a SIM will I be able to make calls? If not I can try of the Unlock phones I have from the UK/Europe?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Is the iPhone 4 unlocked? It won't work with T-Mobile unless it is. If your Verizon phones are LTE with a SIM card, you can use one of those. All Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked and work with any SIM card. You may not get LTE, but otherwise everything will work, including data.

All verizon 4GLTE phones are unlocked but not all have gsm radios besides b13 lte. Also, my Droid razr maxx although unlocked, specifically blocks tmobile. So it would depend on the device.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Or you can get one of the 30-day pre-paid plans.

I went out and bought a used HTC Sensation 4G off eBay ($150), put a 30-day pre-pay SIM in, and tested that way.

I liked the Sensation well enough to keep it, buy another for my wife, and changed us over to a $70/mo. post-paid plan.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Great. So to summarize i need to get a t-mobile SIM and $3/day plan and I should be good. Correct?

The Droid DNA may not necessarily work on TMO's high speed networks, if at all. It certainly won't work on TMO LTE (if that's available around you.) It may or may not work on 3G/"4G"--if you are in a refarmed UMTS 1900 market, it will; if you are in a UMTS 1700 market, it won't. Then all that's left is 2G, and even that may not be guaranteed if your phone blocks access (see dpham00's post above yours.)

The ideal test would be one done with a phone that has all of TMO's GSM/UMTS/LTE bands, like a Nexus 5, a BlackBerry Z10 or a Q10, and others. If you don't want to buy one for testing (I wouldn't either,) try to borrow one from someone, or figure out a way you could test and return the phone, if needed, within the 14-day window.

All verizon 4GLTE phones are unlocked but not all have gsm radios besides b13 lte. Also, my Droid razr maxx although unlocked, specifically blocks tmobile. So it would depend on the device.

Didn't work even on 2G?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Droid DNA
Didn't work even on 2G?

DNA should get up to 4g speeds on tmobile, but no lte.

Nope no 2g or voice on the Droid razr maxx even with the latest update that enabled global capabilities. My other devices didn't have this issue.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Or you can get one of the 30-day pre-paid plans.

I went out and bought a used HTC Sensation 4G off eBay ($150), put a 30-day pre-pay SIM in, and tested that way.

I liked the Sensation well enough to keep it, buy another for my wife, and changed us over to a $70/mo. post-paid plan.

I'll give the 30 day a try since I want to make sure I have enough time to try before I make the switch. BTW, I assume you like T-Mobile enough to switch permanently?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I'll give the 30 day a try since I want to make sure I have enough time to try before I make the switch. BTW, I assume you like T-Mobile enough to switch permanently?
Definitely.

We were with Sprint. Had been with them for 15 years. Coverage, voice coverage, no less, was getting worse-and-worse. Coupled with the fact that their data plans were really no less expensive, for a couple, than Verizon or "at&t": When T-Mobile came up with their "uncarrier" initiatives, plus the fact their coverage was mostly better in my area, it was an easy choice.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Definitely.

We were with Sprint. Had been with them for 15 years. Coverage, voice coverage, no less, was getting worse-and-worse.

Ugh Sprint. That is what we left to go to Verizon. I was never so happy to change carriers. What is the use of unlimited 4G data when they never built out the 4G (non-LTE) network. The final straw was when I start missing calls in areas that were perfect a few months earlier.

Verizon is very solid in the San Francisco Bay Area and after that Sprint experience I don't want to end up with a fast phone and no coverage again, so I am going to test T-Mobile thoroughly before I commit.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Verizon also has a loyalty plan for 60 a month unlimited talk/text and 2gb data me and my father pay 60 dollars a piece well after taxes 68.23 a piece you can see from previous balance this bill my father went over by 2 gb so i got Verizon to give me a credit of 20 dollars since each gb over is $10 Verizon also gave me and my father a $300 credit off of any phone each so 2 $300 dollar credits $300 per line ive only been a customer since oct 2013
Screenshot_2014-01-16-17-02-02.pngScreenshot_2014-01-16-17-18-22.png

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just go to store and ask to test drive the network, buy phones of your choice, you have 30 days to return everything, total cost $0. That's how I test drove the network on the latest LTE capable phones.
Their plans go like $50 for first line, $30 for second line, any additional lines for $10/MO all with UNLIMITED talk/text/data but by default, only first 500mb is 4G/LTE then throttled down to 3g speeds. Additionally, $10 for 2gb 4G/LTE data, $20 if you want everything unlimited including 4G/LTE data and WiFi hot-spot.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks,

Jerry

Are you in an area where T-Mobile is using 1900 MHz for 3G? If not, that iPhone will just stick on Edge.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just go to store and ask to test drive the network, buy phones of your choice, you have 30 days to return everything, total cost $0. That's how I test drove the network on the latest LTE capable phones.
Their plans go like $50 for first line, $30 for second line, any additional lines for $10/MO all with UNLIMITED talk/text/data but by default, only first 500mb is 4G/LTE then throttled down to 3g speeds. Additionally, $10 for 2gb 4G/LTE data, $20 if you want everything unlimited including 4G/LTE data and WiFi hot-spot.

There probably will be a restocking charge. Verizon I know charges $35 per returned phone.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
There probably will be a restocking charge. Verizon I know charges $35 per returned phone.

Not even a dime, that's how I tested it with 2 lines, almost a year ago. That's how my dad tested it few months back. Got full refund.
If you keep the phone/service, good. But if you return and say "I just feel like returning it" then they may, but tell them the real reason "network/service is not good enough yet"
I Know a lot of people who tested it on Brad new phones for $0

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty much just in California. Almost ever other place is 14 days.

Everyone else is 14 day, TMO is the only one giving 30d. Plus there is no contract that will lock you in after 30 day period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37