T-Mobile: Bye bye to Corporate discounts (update : new accounts only)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
From the updated article:

Companies participating in the Advantage Program will either provide their employees with a $25 reward card or a monthly service discount.

So basically, discounts may still be available, including monthly discounts, but your employer will need to cut you a check directly if they want to participate.

To me, this seems like the more fair route. As someone who works for a small nonprofit, I have always found corporate discounts on mobile plans to be unfair. Larger employers get to provide their employees a discount without actually paying anything out of pocket simply because of their pooling power. If all employers are actually required to provide the discount out of their budgets that their employees are getting, that's a more level playing field.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
From the updated article:

So basically, discounts may still be available, including monthly discounts, but your employer will need to cut you a check directly if they want to participate.

To me, this seems like the more fair route. As someone who works for a small nonprofit, I have always found corporate discounts on mobile plans to be unfair. Larger employers get to provide their employees a discount without actually paying anything out of pocket simply because of their pooling power. If all employers are actually required to provide the discount out of their budgets that their employees are getting, that's a more level playing field.

Per the article :

" Monthly Discount is being discontinued for every company/organization except military and government"

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sucks I'll lose mine.. But I do work for the government so I can just apply that one once my current one is taken.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Per the article :

" Monthly Discount is being discontinued for every company/organization except military and government"

Right, the current discount plans are being discontinued. But the part I quoted says that COMPANIES will be able to still give monthly discounts, they'll just have to do it directly instead of on T-Mobile's bill. So T-Mobile will no longer be footing the bill for the discounts, but employers will have to do so directly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, the current discount plans are being discontinued. But the part I quoted says that COMPANIES will be able to still give monthly discounts, they'll just have to do it directly instead of on T-Mobile's bill. So T-Mobile will no longer be footing the bill for the discounts, but employers will have to do so directly.

Sure a company can provide a discount out of their pockets. But I am guess most companies aren't going to pay for the discount for personal phones not used for work out of their pocket. I know my company certainly won't

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Sure a company can provide a discount out of their pockets. But I am guess most companies aren't going to pay for the discount for personal phones not used for work out of their pocket. I know my company certainly won't.
Yes, and this is exactly the point. Having group discounts gives more power to the big guys - both big employers and big cell phone companies. Instead of artificially lowering prices for people fortunate enough to work for a big company, T-Mobile lowered prices for everyone, and left it up to the employers whether or not they really wanted to help their employees with their cell phone bills.

T-Mobile's previous moves have already caused a good amount of price competition in the market, tagging even Verizon along. Now, having done that, T-Mobile is showing the industry a way to lower prices for the vast customer base and protect their own revenue by taking specialized discounts away from group agreements. I expect other companies to follow suit.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They can justify it all they want, they are in effect causing a number of people to have pay more than what they currently pay.

Is this better for those people? My guess is that they would most like likely say no

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
They can justify it all they want, they are in effect causing a number of people to have pay more than what they currently pay.

Is this better for those people? My guess is that they would most like likely say no

You don't understand. They're not the ones doing the justifying. I am. I am doing the justifying as someone who has never liked the fact that I was subsidizing the discounted rates for people with fare better means than myself. And you can color it what you want, but as far as I'm concerned, if I'm paying more for the same service from the same company than someone with a discount (and I don't have the same offer available to me), I am subsidizing that discount.

I have nothing against people having something as a compensation for their work - including discounted products and services. But the bill for the compensation should go to the employer, not the rest of us. When Starbucks employees get a discount on their coffee, Starbucks takes the hit.

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Now I will say goodbye to T-mobile. Not sure what provider I will switch to as Sprint is not an option. I get 25% discounts with AT&T and Verizon but I will have to see if I can get decent pricing on 6 or so gb of data....

wolfman7828

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I was getting a 10% discount and losing that I'll still be paying less than the competition in my area. So if the service drops off I'll move on, but until then nothing last forever.

Posted via Android Central App

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was getting a 10% discount and losing that I'll still be paying less than the competition in my area. So if the service drops off I'll move on, but until then nothing last forever.

Posted via Android Central App

Now that tmobile's smallest data portion is 1 gb, to equally put it with sprint with 5 lines

it's 5 lines with tmobile for 110 a month or
225 a month with sprint for 5 lines with their framily

Neither have contract subsidies.

Pay half and get stateside international texting, international data roaming and texting? Fo shooo

Plus sprint started eliminating their employee discounts too. For their framily, the discount is only if you ugprade your 1 gb allowance to unlimited. So your discount is only on that 20 dollars or whatever.

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand. They're not the ones doing the justifying. I am. I am doing the justifying as someone who has never liked the fact that I was subsidizing the discounted rates for people with fare better means than myself. And you can color it what you want, but as far as I'm concerned, if I'm paying more for the same service from the same company than someone with a discount (and I don't have the same offer available to me), I am subsidizing that discount.

I have nothing against people having something as a compensation for their work - including discounted products and services. But the bill for the compensation should go to the employer, not the rest of us. When Starbucks employees get a discount on their coffee, Starbucks takes the hit.

This makes you sound very selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh, really? And taking a discount that isn't actually paid for by the employer and therefore subsidized by all of us is what, selfless?

It just sounds to me that you are aggravated because someone else gets a bigger discount than you so you would rather not have any discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, really? And taking a discount that isn't actually paid for by the employer and therefore subsidized by all of us is what, selfless?

So are you upset that government people still get a discount? Or just the random other people that had one?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. They are doing it so they rack in more money..

Up unlimited cost.. Remove discounts.. Helps a ton to make up for paying ETF fees.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
So are you upset that government people still get a discount? Or just the random other people that had one?

I absolutely don't believe government employees should have a discount either. If municipalities or other entities want a discount for their employees, they too should cut a check.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, TMO just screwed over corp accts

T-Mobile removes employer discounts from Simple Choice plans | Android Central
T-Mobile Advantage Monthly Discount is disappearing - Full Details On Upcoming Changes (UPDATE: Legere announcement) | TmoNewsTmoNews
T-Mobile's latest UnCarrier move: removing employer discounts

If you're considering TMO as your carrier, and thought you were going to get a corp discount, nope. Do more shopping around. Is TMO making itself look more attractive to Softbank, by doing this? :mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle