T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and text

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

I suppose this plan wouldn't be half bad for users who use wifi most of the day or simply don't use much data at all. But not having unlimited throttled data is a big deterrent in my book.

Hands down though, the 5 line family plan, $110 a month is the best deal ever.

But that's for your needs and that's why you see not having unlimited throttled data as bad... Some may not need more than 500 MB.

An example of another point of view depending on needs is my own... As for you unlimited throttled data is okay... Whereas for me I personally can't do without unlimited.. Unthrottled data. I need the full thing since I do many data heavy tasks.

So it really depends on the person. My parents could survive on that. They use 150 MB at most.. Between the 2 of them.. A month. That's it.. 150 MB is high for them.. I'd say their average is 100 MB a month between the two of them. I never could do that lol :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

But that's for your needs and that's why you see not having unlimited throttled data as bad... Some may not need more than 500 MB.

An example of another point of view depending on needs is my own... As for you unlimited throttled data is okay... Whereas for me I personally can't do without unlimited.. Unthrottled data. I need the full thing since I do many data heavy tasks.

So it really depends on the person. My parents could survive on that. They use 150 MB at most.. Between the 2 of them.. A month. That's it.. 150 MB is high for them.. I'd say their average is 100 MB a month between the two of them. I never could do that lol :p.

Then they should go to Metro PCS Cheaper and you get a lot more with that money. Metro PCS is $40 with taxes included vs T-mobile starter plan which is $40 + taxes

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Then they should go to Metro PCS Cheaper and you get a lot more with that money. Metro PCS is $40 with taxes included vs T-mobile starter plan which is $40 + taxes

Metro is unlimited throttled. As I said I need unlimited unthrottled... Hence why I am on T-Mobile with the fully unlimited data plan :).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Metro is unlimited throttled. As I said I need unlimited unthrottled... Hence why I am on T-Mobile with the fully unlimited data plan :).

I was referring to your parants... Also for $60 you get Metro PCS unthrottled LTE Data

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I was referring to your parants... Also for $60 you get Metro PCS unthrottled LTE Data

Data speeds on Metro PCS are a lot slower than T-Mo, at least where I live. Coverage on T-Mo is a lot better around here as well

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

One time fee of $10. How is that a ripoff?
You'd probably be better off with your plan though, as it has 2GB more data

$10 for a SIM card is expensive. When I go to England I can buy any SIM card from the local store for a pound. In Dubai SIM card costs $10 and comes with 100 min and 100 mb of data. That's why I call it a rip off. AT&T gives you a free SIM card on go phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Data speeds on Metro PCS are a lot slower than T-Mo, at least where I live. Coverage on T-Mo is a lot better around here as well

Eh if it works on T-Mobile LTE it should be their speed not Metro pcs which T-Mobile is trying to do anyways

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

To be honest if your buying a Plan from any of the 4 Big carriers ( Metro PCS still offers their own plans so i wouldn't include them with T-mobile so they apply to what i am saying) I would think this is a ripoff considering taxes bring it up around $50. If you can pay that $50 might as well go up to $60 after taxes. Honestly if that is to much I would just suggest Virgin Mobile for $35 you get unlimited data, texting and calling with a soft cap of 3GB i believe with taxes included i believe. Also Metro PCS offers unlimited talk, text and unlimited data with a 500MB soft cap for $40 with taxes included with T-mobile service which is the much better deal imo
Well, not everyone has the luxury of "might as well" going up by $10. Like I said, it's all someone may need. They may want to use the extra 10 bucks to put towards their device payment - which this plan is eligible for. Remember that Metro won't give someone the ability to buy a device over time by making monthly payments.

Sure if someone finds Virgin better for them, that's where they should go. But keep in mind that MVNOs often don't support short code texting, have trouble with MMS, and have lower network priority than their network partners. I don't even want to think about what happens when you have secondary priority on Sprint's network! And Virgin's $35 plan only includes 300 minutes, which may not be enough. And they limit video streaming to 600 kbps speeds. It's pretty difficult to take advantage of 4G data on Virgin, even in areas where Sprint has LTE coverage. Virgin actually has a $40 plan with unlimited talk and text. It includes 50 MB of data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh they like Sprint for whatever reason. They pay $119 after taxes so that is about $60 per phone.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, not everyone has the luxury of "might as well" going up by $10. Like I said, it's all someone may need. They may want to use the extra 10 bucks to put towards their device payment - which this plan is eligible for. Remember that Metro won't give someone the ability to buy a device over time by making monthly payments.

Sure if someone finds Virgin better for them, that's where they should go. But keep in mind that MVNOs often don't support short code texting, have trouble with MMS, and have lower network priority than their network partners. I don't even want to think about what happens when you have secondary priority on Sprint's network! And Virgin's $35 plan only includes 300 minutes, which may not be enough. And they limit video streaming to 600 kbps speeds. It's pretty difficult to take advantage of 4G data on Virgin, even in areas where Sprint has LTE coverage. Virgin actually has a $40 plan with unlimited talk and text. It includes 50 MB of data.

Considering Cellphone service is a Luxury imo and not a necessity so imo if you can afford the $50 just spend 10 more to get a soft capped data plan ...other places offer better services for cheaper if that is the issue then but thats my 2 cents

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Eh if it works on T-Mobile LTE it should be their speed not Metro pcs which T-Mobile is trying to do anyways

Another downside is phone availability. Metro has one or two flagships, and those get little support from the dev community.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Considering Cellphone service is a Luxury imo and not a necessity so imo if you can afford the $50 just spend 10 more to get a soft capped data plan ...other places offer better services for cheaper if that is the issue then but thats my 2 cents
That's your opinion, and so you won't go for the $40 plan. But that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. I don't know if cell phone service is a luxury or a necessity - I'd lean towards necessity in this day and age, but even if for the sake of debate we agreed it is a luxury, there is no rule saying that if you want a luxury item, you must spend more than you have to or feel suits you.

FWIW, I do agree that the $50 plan is a better value. For $10 more, you get double the high speed data, unlimited throttled data, international texting and free international data roaming. But value doesn't matter much for someone who's never going to use the extra services.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

That's your opinion, and so you won't go for the $40 plan. But that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. I don't know if cell phone service is a luxury or a necessity - I'd lean towards necessity in this day and age, but even if for the sake of debate we agreed it is a luxury, there is no rule saying that if you want a luxury item, you must spend more than you have to or feel suits you.

FWIW, I do agree that the $50 plan is a better value. For $10 more, you get double the high speed data, unlimited throttled data, international texting and free international data roaming. But value doesn't matter much for someone who's never going to use the extra services.

I am not arguing the fact people don't want to spend the $10 more but if you just want a phone for Phone and texting there is much better options that are cheaper and gives you more value for the buck Like Boost mobile, Virgin mobile, even Aio wireless where you piggyback off AT&T network and is $40 including taxes with The added benefit of company discounts which includes unlimited Text,call and Data with 500MB of 4G highspeed data. I just think the T-mobile plan itself is a ripoff considering the fact it doesn't include taxes so you will be paying about $10 dollars more with taxes compared to Aio wireless or Metro PCS which include the taxes for $40 with unlimited data,Text, and calling with 500mb 4G speeds

I just think it is dumb to get that plan in T-mobile vs the competition

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Another downside is phone availability. Metro has one or two flagships, and those get little support from the dev community.

Also warranty service through the carrier . If you want another phone that metropcs doesn't offer then service would go through the manufacturer. If you have tmobile, their selection is much larger.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

For some having a phone is definitely a necessity. Especially when looking for jobs and other things of that nature.

Regardless some may not want or need the 50. That's why this is just a option everyone.. It's not forcing people to it.. It's simply just another option Incase it fits someone better. Just as I said with my parents.. I'm sure they'd rather pay 40 than 50 when they use 150 MB combined data usage. It's for those people.. That don't need more than 500MB.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

For some having a phone is definitely a necessity. Especially when looking for jobs and other things of that nature.

Regardless some may not want or need the 50. That's why this is just a option everyone.. It's not forcing people to it.. It's simply just another option Incase it fits someone better. Just as I said with my parents.. I'm sure they'd rather pay 40 than 50 when they use 150 MB combined data usage. It's for those people.. That don't need more than 500MB.

Then they should get virgin mobile, boost, metro pcs, or aio wireless which includes taxes and is $40 or less and unlimited data with throttling

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I am not arguing the fact people don't want to spend the $10 more but if you just want a phone for Phone and texting there is much better options that are cheaper and gives you more value for the buck Like Boost mobile, Virgin mobile, even Aio wireless where you piggyback off AT&T network and is $40 including taxes with The added benefit of company discounts which includes unlimited Text,call and Data with 500MB of 4G highspeed data. I just think the T-mobile plan itself is a ripoff considering the fact it doesn't include taxes so you will be paying about $10 dollars more with taxes compared to Aio wireless or Metro PCS which include the taxes for $40 with unlimited data,Text, and calling with 500mb 4G speeds
I believe that comparing this plan to MVNO's is misguided. There are important things this plan offers that hardly any MVNO will - including short code SMS support, full speed data for the allotment, and full network priority. Still, I'll demonstrate that depending on what one needs, T-Mobile's plan can indeed be a better value.

I already commented on Virgin's plans - for one thing, it only includes 300 minutes at the $35 level. And for all levels, video streaming is limited to 600 kbps, a fact that holds true for many of Sprint's MVNOs, including Boost. On Boost, the $50 plan doesn't even have 4G speeds at all; for that you have to pick the $55 plan. Stay 18 months on the plan and your payment will go down to $40 - but that's after 18 months.

So yeah, while these companies technically have better data limits, you can hardly use it in any meaningful way that would actually cause you to use more than 500 MB of mobile data in a month. Frankly, there is only one competition in the MVNO world against T-Mobile's $40 plan, and that's Aio. None of the others you cited actually even offer unlimited minutes and texts with any amount of at anything less than $50 at the start. Aio's access to AT&T's network makes them formidable. But even Aio doesn't offer their customers the opportunity to buy a phone on an installment plan, which this plan from T-Mobile will.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I believe that comparing this plan to MVNO's is misguided. There are important things this plan offers that hardly any MVNO will - including short code SMS support, full speed data for the allotment, and full network priority. Still, I'll demonstrate that depending on what one needs, T-Mobile's plan can indeed be a better value.

I already commented on Virgin's plans - for one thing, it only includes 300 minutes at the $35 level. And for all levels, video streaming is limited to 600 kbps, a fact that holds true for many of Sprint's MVNOs, including Boost. On Boost, the $50 plan doesn't even have 4G speeds at all; for that you have to pick the $55 plan. Stay 18 months on the plan and your payment will go down to $40 - but that's after 18 months.

So yeah, while these companies technically have better data limits, you can hardly use it in any meaningful way that would actually cause you to use more than 500 MB of mobile data in a month. Frankly, there is only one competition in the MVNO world against T-Mobile's $40 plan, and that's Aio. None of the others you cited actually even offer unlimited minutes and texts with any amount of at anything less than $50 at the start. Aio's access to AT&T's network makes them formidable. But even Aio doesn't offer their customers the opportunity to buy a phone on an installment plan, which this plan from T-Mobile will.

The people who are using these plans aren't buying galaxy s5 and thus the prices are would I say fair. AIO wireless from what I heard has decent speed for a mvno with a solid average or 10 mbps down and you get AT&T service quality which is much better then t-mobile ( I get no service in my house but have a cel-fi) in overall coverage

Sent from my SM-N900T

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

Aio is capped at 8 mbps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The people who are using these plans aren't buying galaxy s5 and thus the prices are would I say fair. AIO wireless from what I heard has decent speed for a mvno with a solid average or 10 mbps down and you get AT&T service quality which is much better then t-mobile ( I get no service in my house but have a cel-fi) in overall coverage

Sent from my SM-N900T

And they could go any amount of prepaid. Coverage is depending on area and you can't speak for all. For some metro or others may be bad and T-Moblie is good. All depends on the situation.

No one plan is good for all. Just like this plan may fit others better and sometimes it may not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21