T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and text

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

And they could go any amount of prepaid. Coverage is depending on area and you can't speak for all. For some metro or others may be bad and T-Moblie is good. All depends on the situation.

No one plan is good for all. Just like this plan may fit others better and sometimes it may not.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Then metro pcs is good choice which uses or will be using t-mobile service and for cheaper. Metro pcs is $40 including taxes so I really don't see how this plan has any "Value" to anybody since metro pics should be using the same service and cheaper

Sent from my SM-N900T

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

The people who are using these plans aren't buying galaxy s5 and thus the prices are would I say fair. AIO wireless from what I heard has decent speed for a mvno with a solid average or 10 mbps down and you get AT&T service quality which is much better then t-mobile ( I get no service in my house but have a cel-fi) in overall coverage
As raino said, Aio is capped at 8 mbps.

No one said their prices aren't fair. But why can't someone want an S5 on one of these plans? Okay, forget the S5. What about the Nexus 5? Or an S4? Or an iPhone 5c? Or a Lumia 521? T-Mobile has all these phones on installment too. Why is the supposition that everyone has or (more importantly) wants to spend a good amount of money at once buying their phone? Why can't someone want that option?

The question is whether for some, the T-Mobile plan can constitute a better value and choice than the alternatives you cite. The answer is clearly yes.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

As raino said, Aio is capped at 8 mbps.

No one said their prices aren't fair. But why can't someone want an S5 on one of these plans? Okay, forget the S5. What about the Nexus 5? Or an S4? Or an iPhone 5c? Or a Lumia 521? T-Mobile has all these phones on installment too. Why is the supposition that everyone has or (more importantly) wants to spend a good amount of money at once buying their phone? Why can't someone want that option?

The question is whether for some, the T-Mobile plan can constitute a better value and choice than the alternatives you cite. The answer is clearly yes.

Then if your paying for the eip you can afford the 10 more for the $50 dollar plan which has its value

Let's just put this in perspective. $40 for the plan and around $27 for the phone plus $10 in taxes which makes it $74 or so each month and maybe more where you live. $74 vs $40 a month + say anywhere between free and $600 on metro pcs or AIO which is $40 and that's it

Sent from my SM-N900T

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Let's just put this in perspective. $40 for the plan and around $27 for the phone plus $10 in taxes which makes it $74 or so each month and maybe more where you live. $74 vs $40 a month + say anywhere between free and $600 on metro pcs or AIO which is $40 and that's it

The EIP is a redistribution of the cost of the phone. Using your numbers, assuming you don't Jump and spread the cost out over two years,

74x24=1776
(40x24)+600=1560, $216 or $9 per month cheaper.

The EIP is a good option for not having to pay upfront, though.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Then if your paying for the eip you can afford the 10 more for the $50 dollar plan which has its value

Metro PCS is giving out free phones off contract? Or is that Aio? Please tell me where I can get one.

Yeah, let's put it into perspective. Here is the perspective: The whole point of an eip is that someone can't afford to (or doesn't want to) pay the full price of the phone, whatever the particular phone it is they want. You conveniently - and I hope not willingly - ignore the budget phones I mention which T-Mobile also has on EIP. There is absolutely no reason to assume that anyone who can afford a $20-$30 monthly payment can therefore also afford a one-time $400-$700 one-time payment. Or even if they can afford to, there is absolutely no reason to assume that they want to, or have to, or should. That's their decision, not yours.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

8ehezemy.jpg

Cheap phone with LTE or free one (there is one with "4G" there as well)

Sent from my SM-N900T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SM-N900T

Aio you need a phone. You add a phone for all other comparisons yet not for Aio. Convenient..

Man you switched to T-Mobile but definitely seem to absolutely love AT&T. Very confused why you didn't stay with em.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

I like that the plan can be used to escape a different carrier, and that if you don't want to byop you can buy a decent phone with T-Mobile. I like what tmo are doing in the world of wireless.

Also I have to say, after a year of Boost Mobile, there are definite advantages to having carrier priority. On BM the speeds were even slower than Virgin's, which were way slower than Sprint's.

With Aio everything is better. The only small complaint is that it takes a few beats for my calls to begin ringing the number. That's scary in a life or death situation. Which brings me to the point that if your cell is the only phone you have it is a necessity.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

azesasav.jpg
7a3erynu.jpg
zepeja6u.jpg

First phone is a Nokia lumia 521 which is on Amazon for around $70 no contract anything for metro pcs and t-mobile variants

2nd is some LG cheap phone and 3rd is the nexus 5

When you get down to it the per month cost is cheaper with metro pcs or AIO wireless (buy the Nokia 520 for $60-70)

Sent from my SM-N900T

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Cheap phone with LTE or free one (there is one with "4G" there as well)
Almost there but not quite. As a matter of fact, you can't activate those phones at the $40 level! And it's not available to someone wanting to activate a new line - it MUST be a number ported from another carrier.

free phone.PNG

A free phone off contract would mean that (1) it can be activated on any plan, and (2) that it can be activated for a new line. Besides for which, you have to pay taxes on the phone's full price, so not really free. I wouldn't quibble about taxes, but you seem to be intent on insisting that taxes must be taken into account - so what's good for the goose...

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I like that the plan can be used to escape a different carrier, and that if you don't want to byop you can buy a decent phone with T-Mobile. I like what tmo are doing in the world of wireless.

Also I have to say, after a year of Boost Mobile, there are definite advantages to having carrier priority. On BM the speeds were even slower than Virgin's, which were way slower than Sprint's.

With Aio everything is better. The only small complaint is that it takes a few beats for my calls to begin ringing the number. That's scary in a life or death situation. Which brings me to the point that if your cell is the only phone you have it is a necessity.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

I like t-mobile but I don't see any value in the new $40 plan

Sent from my SM-N900T

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/azesasav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/7a3erynu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/zepeja6u.jpg

First phone is a Nokia lumia 521 which is on Amazon for around $70 no contract anything for metro pcs and t-mobile variants

When you get down to it the per month cost is cheaper with metro pcs or AIO wireless (buy the Nokia 520 for $60-70)

Sent from my SM-N900T

Again, the network isn't as good. I had MetroPCS prior to T-Mo and it was extremely spotty (even after the T-Mo sale). Speeds were atrocious to say the least...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Almost there but not quite. As a matter of fact, you can't activate those phones at the $40 level! And it's not available to someone wanting to activate a new line - it MUST be a number ported from another carrier.

View attachment 112039

A free phone off contract would mean that (1) it can be activated on any plan, and (2) that it can be activated for a new line. Besides for which, you have to pay taxes on the phone's full price, so not really free. I wouldn't quibble about taxes, but you seem to be intent on insisting that taxes must be taken into account - so what's good for the goose...

I pay about $14 a month of taxes on my T-Mobile plan...

Sent from my SM-N900T

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Again, the network isn't as good. I had MetroPCS prior to T-Mo and it was extremely spotty (even after the T-Mo sale). Speeds were atrocious to say the least...

I've also seen people with t-mobile speeds on metro pcs. Also if we're looking at these plans speeds aren't a factor

Sent from my SM-N900T

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/azesasav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/7a3erynu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/zepeja6u.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T

By the way, T-Mo does have a $40 unlimited text/talk and 500MB of high speeds data plan. There's also a $30 100 minutes/unlimited text/5GB of high speed data.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I've also seen people with t-mobile speeds on metro pcs. Also if we're looking at these plans speeds aren't a factor

Sent from my SM-N900T

Maybe not to someone who doesn't use internet. I absolutely take into account my data speeds.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

By the way, T-Mo does have a $40 unlimited text/talk and 500MB of high speeds data plan. There's also a $30 100 minutes/unlimited text/5GB of high speed data.

That 40 dollar plan is the one I'm talking about specifically I just don't see a value in it because A) your not a huge data user and probably a basic smartphone will be good enough and B) with taxes and a eip that 40 becomes at least $50+ a month where you get a hard data cap compared to metro pcs or AIO where it is $40 and a soft cap at 500mb and then throttled.

I would just go with the 30 dollar prepaid option before the $40 plan with t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I like t-mobile but I don't see any value in the new $40 plan

I largely agree with you, but there's value in that it's:

-EIP eligible (which can be a rip-off IMO because of the markups)
-Uncapped speeds

If EIP is not something one's interested in, or doesn't necessarily need >8 mbps, Aio IMO is a better option.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Maybe not to someone who doesn't use internet. I absolutely take into account my data speeds.

The your not even in the market for this plan :p... I wanted the speed and personally chose this after looking at all and love it for what I pay for. This plan is for minor usage and texting and phone calls and then price is a factor you get more bang for your dollar with metro or AIO

Sent from my SM-N900T