T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and text

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

When you get down to it the per month cost is cheaper with metro pcs or AIO wireless (buy the Nokia 520 for $60-70)
Actually on Amazon the Lumia 521 (as opposed to the 520 - which is AT&T)for Metro is about $85. Again and again, you assume that someone with the ability or willingness to make a small monthly payment (in case of the 521 it's $5.25) also has the ability or willingness to make a much bigger one-time payment. That simply isn't true, and despite your seeming insistence, the inability or unwillingness to do so isn't "dumb."

pay about $14 a month of taxes on my T-Mobile plan...
No one said that you didn't. But if you are going to count the taxes, you have to count the taxes Metro charges when you get your "free" phone too.

No one has ever said that certain MVNO plans can't be better value for certain individuals than the $40 T-Mobile plan, but you refuse to accept that for some others, the reverse may also be true. Everyone's situation is different, and neither you nor I get to tell them what their best decision is.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

I largely agree with you, but there's value in that it's:

-EIP eligible (which can be a rip-off IMO because of the markups)
-Uncapped speeds

If EIP is not something one's interested in, or doesn't necessarily need >8 mbps, Aio IMO is a better option.

Your not getting this plan caring about speed since you don't need much data. This plan is 500mb only and then no data at all. I would suggest getting MetroPCS or AIO wireless since it has unlimited phone, text and 500mb of 4g data and then throttled for $40

Sent from my SM-N900T

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Your not getting this plan caring about speed since you don't need much data.
Don't need much data is NOT synonymous to "don't need/want data speed." I may only use mobile data for very limited amounts of time, but when I use it, I may want things to be fast.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Actually on Amazon the Lumia 521 (as opposed to the 520 - which is AT&T)for Metro is about $85. Again and again, you assume that someone with the ability or willingness to make a small monthly payment (in case of the 521 it's $5.25) also has the ability or willingness to make a much bigger one-time payment. That simply isn't true, and despite your seeming insistence, the inability or unwillingness to do so isn't "dumb."

No one said that you didn't. But if you are going to count the taxes, you have to count the taxes Metro charges when you get your "free" phone too.

No one has ever said that certain MVNO plans can't be better value for certain individuals than the $40 T-Mobile plan, but you refuse to accept that for some others, the reverse may also be true. Everyone's situation is different, and neither you nor I get to tell them what their best decision is.

Smartphones are a luxury not a necessity (you can simply buy a dumb phone with a pre paid card if you "need" a phone). You save more money long term with AIO wireless and metro then you will with t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Smartphones are a luxury not a necessity (you can simply buy a dumb phone with a pre paid card if you "need" a phone). You save more money long term with AIO wireless and metro then you will with t-mobile
Again, "luxury" doesn't mean "infinitely affordable." People make choices on what luxuries to afford every single day. And whether something is a luxury has no bearing on this debate. In the long run you may be right, but have you ever heard the expression "in the long run, we're all dead?" The long run isn't the only thing that matters. Value isn't only decided by the long term total costs. Immediacy (as in how immediately can you get a phone even if you don't have the full retail saved up) can also be part of the value proposition.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Again, "luxury" doesn't mean "infinitely affordable." People make choices on what luxuries to afford every single day. And whether something is a luxury has no bearing on this debate. In the long run you may be right, but have you ever heard the expression "in the long run, we're all dead?" The long run isn't the only thing that matters. Value isn't only decided by the long term total costs. Immediacy (as in how immediately can you get a phone even if you don't have the full retail saved up) can also be part of the value proposition.

Then months 2 bill will be cheaper then T-mobile? Out of pocket costs might be Bigger then T-mobile but by the 2nd months bill AIO or Metro PCS is cheaper .... $40 dollars and thats it . Aio you can get an Android phone for $49.99 and the Nokia Lumia 620 as well. Also can find an iphone 4 on Ebay that is an AT&T phone and should be fine as long as IMEI number is clean.

Also the Nokia lumia 520 gophone for AT&T should also work on Aio which is $59.99 on amazon

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Then months 2 bill will be cheaper then T-mobile? Out of pocket costs might be Bigger then T-mobile but by the 2nd months bill AIO or Metro PCS is cheaper .... $40 dollars and thats it . Aio you can get an Android phone for $49.99 and the Nokia Lumia 620 as well. Also can find an iphone 4 on Ebay that is an AT&T phone and should be fine as long as IMEI number is clean.

Also the Nokia lumia 520 gophone for AT&T should also work on Aio which is $59.99 on amazon
Again, having to pay full price - whatever the full price is - may not be palatable to someone, and your insistence that it must be is irrelevant. Secondly, just like there is no reason to assume that someone on a budget conscious plan will have the most expensive phone (e.g. the GS5), there is also no reason to assume that they will be happy with the cheapest thing out there. Someone looking for an inexpensive plan may not always want the cheapest phone - one reason being cheap phones don't last as long as better models. T-Mobile offers a larger selection of phones, AND payment plans than either AIO or Metro. Someone may went want a decent phone with a cheap plan or a cheap phone with an expensive plan or a cheap plan with an expensive phone. It's called choice, and choice is also a value proposition.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Generally speaking, the ones on prepaid plans are NOT the ones buying $600 phones. The numbers are increasing (thanks in part to the $30 plan,) but they're nowhere near what you'd find in Europe, Asia, etc.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Again, having to pay full price - whatever the full price is - may not be palatable to someone, and your insistence that it must be is irrelevant. Secondly, just like there is no reason to assume that someone on a budget conscious plan will have the most expensive phone (e.g. the GS5), there is also no reason to assume that they will be happy with the cheapest thing out there. Someone looking for an inexpensive plan may not always want the cheapest phone - one reason being cheap phones don't last as long as better models. T-Mobile offers a larger selection of phones, AND payment plans than either AIO or Metro. Someone may went want a decent phone with a cheap plan or a cheap phone with an expensive plan or a cheap plan with an expensive phone. It's called choice, and choice is also a value proposition.

The cheap or expensive phone it doesn't matter aio and metro wins I'm price and value. People who want the latest phones I bet use more than 500mb of data a month. Most people who want to use this plan are not looking for the gs5 and looking for a phone that take pics, Facebook, and call & text. This plan doesn't actually cater to the cost conscious since getting metro pcs is cheaper per month +only 85 for the Nokia lumia 521 or only 59.99 for the Nokia lumia 520 if you want to use aio. The only $40 per month will save you $10+ a month which by 6-8 months will even out buying that phone

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

The cheap or expensive phone it doesn't matter aio and metro wins I'm price and value.
Not if part of someone's definition of value includes the ability to pay for a phone over time AND a broader selection of phones to do it on. Value is subjective, which is why you can't force everyone else to accept your description of it.

People who want the latest phones I bet use more than 500mb of data a month.
You can bet anything you want. I know plenty of people who have top of the line smartphones (including the iPhone 5S and HTC One) who are on wifi all day (work or home or Starbucks) and don't actually use 500 MB of data. But they call a lot.

Most people who want to use this plan are not looking for the gs5 and looking for a phone that take pics, Facebook, and call & text.
Lol, you assume that a phone's only data use is on mobile data, when that is not the case for many, many people. Again, Wifi.

This plan caters to people who want first priority access to a national network, unlimited talk and text, access to the ability to buy a phone by making monthly payments, and/or don't need much mobile data. It caters to people who are on AT&T and Verizon's $45 single line plans which have less data allotment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary