T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Very impressive number, Verizon and ATT added around 500k each, so T-Mobile's 2.5 million is huge. Though T-mobile has EBITDA margin of 20% whereas Verizon has 52%.

T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014 | Android Central

This honestly doesn't surprise me. They have been aggresively advertising and done some good things with their network. They still lack one big thing, coverage. I honestly don't like their "We now cover 96% of the U.S." because they don't. There are whole states they have no coverage in. For instance my home state. The only way they function in these areas is because they are using AT&T towers, which makes data almost useless and you can only basically talk and txt. So they really don't cover 96% of the country and it is misleading.

As a whole I love what they are doing, because they ARE pushing the big dogs, but to attack Verizon's maps (which yes are not completely accurate when it comes to showing competitors), when you are at the same time misleading everyone else with your "We now cover 96% of the US" commercials is silly. Verizon's map still dwarfs T-Mobiles, especially the 4GLTE maps. I know all companies have things misleading. In fact all of them pay penalties regularly just to keep doing so.

But again, I love what they are doing, because they are putting pressure on the big dogs to make changes. I will never complain about that. I am also interested to see what they do with the spectrum they bought from Verizon, and what areas this will affect.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I honestly don't like their "We now cover 96% of the U.S." because they don't. There are whole states they have no coverage in.[...]

Verizon's map still dwarfs T-Mobiles, especially the 4GLTE maps.
Not to nitpick, but a couple of points: first, T-Mobile don't say that they cover 96% of the US as in land mass. But that they cover 96% of *Americans*. The US population isn't distributed evenly through its vast landmass, and a great majority live in cities and metro areas where T-Mobile usually has great coverage. Add to that its patchwork of 2G rural coverage and it is true that T-Mobile technically covers 96% of Americans.

Verizon's LTE coverage does "dwarf" T-Mobile's, but the dishonest part is that Verizon discounts a ton of T-Mobile markets that have speeds comparable to or better than Verizon's LTE speeds, through T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. Since LTE is about speed, Verizon's claim gives a distorted view of the market.

Everyone advertises their perceived strengths. I'm glad T-Mobile is going after Verizon's LTE claims and their coverage maps. It is clearly working not only in gaining them customers but in retaining them as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean that Sprint must be losing customers?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sprint lost about 500k customers, and was in the red.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Let's not confuse LTE and HSPA+ here. They are not the same. Verizon map claims are for 4G LTE only. Technically HSPA+ is not even 4G.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

Verizon's LTE maps are more accurate than people would think. I mean in my state Verizon now has nearly the whole state LTE while AT&T has just started to cover the bigger cities.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Test...-Mobiles-HSPA-faster-than-Sprints-LTE_id44209

Again I like what T-Mobile is doing.

But there claims is the US.

They say they cover "96% of Americans coast to coast."

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

Attachments

• 1399032699852.jpg
    1399032699852.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 44

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's not confuse LTE and HSPA+ here. They are not the same. Verizon map claims are for 4G LTE only. Technically HSPA+ is not even 4G.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

Verizon's LTE maps are more accurate than people would think. I mean in my state Verizon now has nearly the whole state LTE while AT&T has just started to cover the bigger cities.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Test...-Mobiles-HSPA-faster-than-Sprints-LTE_id44209

Their coverage doesn't mention LTE or anything. They mean a connection... Calls.. Texts.. Edge data. Yes edge is useless but they are saying it as you can get a connection.

I have yet to find a place I couldn't make a call.. But data yes that's an issue out of major cities.

Verizon claims 4g LTE for their coverage... Two different things. So of course T-Mobile's claim doesn't match.. They don't say their 4g LTE covers 96 percent...

Also.. T-Mobile said they will have 50 percent of their edge to LTE by the end of the year... So we will see if they can keep that claim.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also another note I'm not saying it's good they claim that as most are going to think they'll be okay everywhere and not realize this connection only thing... But that's what they are doing.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

You say their claim is the US, then quote them saying "96% of Americans coast to coast. They cover both coasts, and their cumulative coverage area is where 96% of Americans live. Again, our population is getting more and more concentrated in the cities. It doesn't mean T-Mobile is catching up to Verizon in terms of land mass coverage, but in terms of population, it's not bad. Let's not also forget that 4% of Americans is about 13-14 million people, which is a lot; spread that over a vast amount of landmass, and T-Mobile doesn't have to cover 96% of the American landmass to cover 96% of Americans.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Their coverage doesn't mention LTE or anything. They mean a connection... Calls.. Texts.. Edge data. Yes edge is useless but they are saying it as you can get a connection.

I have yet to find a place I couldn't make a call.. But data yes that's an issue out of major cities.

Verizon claims 4g LTE for their coverage... Two different things. So of course T-Mobile's claim doesn't match.. They don't say their 4g LTE covers 96 percent...

Also.. T-Mobile said they will have 50 percent of their edge to LTE by the end of the year... So we will see if they can keep that claim.

Oh I know they are only claiming calls and Txt in the areas that they are piggy backing off AT&T. I made reference to the LTE because someone brought up Verizon's map advertising, which is purely LTE comparison. I wasn't saying it was included I their 96%.

They still don't cover 96% of Americans however, they just have more areas to use the phones in calling and texting. I called to get service just to test them out, because according to the map they do have roaming in my state, but they telesalesman (and I give him props for this) said he didn't feel comfortable selling me service because my state and many of the surrounding States are mostly roaming.

Again they are doing good things, as proven by their customer gains, and I like the buttons they are pressing and pushing the big dogs. I just think the 96% things, especially when the commercial says "better change your maps Verizon" because it is misleading. Verizon maps are LTE coverage, not calling, and Verizon has very more pure Verizon coverage than T-Mobile by far. Again my state has 75% Verizon customer base, because Verizon had nearly the entire state covered in LTE even, while the only other company to exist at all is prepaid companies and AT&T.

When I look at companies (because I have had all of them), I look at pure coverage, not roaming etc.

Also like I stated before, it will be interesting to see how much spectrum, where it is and how they use it when it comes from T-Mobiles recent spectrum purchase from Verizon. Personally I would like to see more competition in my state, because there is really only one choice.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also another note I'm not saying it's good they claim that as most are going to think they'll be okay everywhere and not realize this connection only thing... But that's what they are doing.

Ya it's all about marketing, every company does it in some shape or form. T-Mobile is pushing the envelope which is good. AT&T isn't really, Sprint definitely not and Verizon just continues to thrive off the fact no one can match their coverage, especially LTE. AT&T got the Altel buyout in my state, and has completely dropped the ball on capitalizing on it as they continue to lose customers. Altel was really really good competition to Verizon in my state, and in general, hence Verizon buying them out lol.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess my beef overall is when you say you cover 96% of Americans, it should mean you cover them, not that including roaming, because at that point the towers you are roaming on technically are covering them. Other than that, like I said I love their aggressiveness and direction.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess my beef overall is when you say you cover 96% of Americans, it should mean you cover them, not that including roaming, because at that point the towers you are roaming on technically are covering them. Other than that, like I said I love their aggressiveness and direction.

True but they are going to spin marketing to their advantage. No one competes with Verizon in coverage.. They are great in that.

T-Mobile is good for those who don't travel much (like me) but for others.. Verizon. If I had good wifi at work (where I use most of my data) I would be on Verizon... But since I use tons of mobile data... I need the unlimited of T-Mobile for now.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
True but they are going to spin marketing to their advantage. No one competes with Verizon in coverage.. They are great in that.

T-Mobile is good for those who don't travel much (like me) but for others.. Verizon. If I had good wifi at work (where I use most of my data) I would be on Verizon... But since I use tons of mobile data... I need the unlimited of T-Mobile for now.

Agreed. Every company spins something or other to their advantage. No company is immune from that. I am not trying to start a flame war here either (not saying there is one, just good convo atm), because I do think T-Mobile is doing a lot of good things, a lot.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Every company spins something or other to their advantage. No company is immune from that. I am not trying to start a flame war here either (not saying there is one, just good convo atm), because I do think T-Mobile is doing a lot of good things, a lot.

Oh no worries I didn't think you were trying to start one. As you said just good discussion :).

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

In Hawaii from what I see on Ave.
My co-workers Verizon lte speeds
Is anywhere from 8-15MB DL. I never did see his LTE hit 20MB in 2 years since it went live. At work anyways.
On T-Mobile I used to have Hspa+ at work (now LTE) I
would Ave 12-18MB DL.
What are you basing your 4G argument on? Speed?
Also, HSPA+ can do simultaneous voice and data. At this point LTE doesn't?
To me HSPA+ is still technically more advanced than LTE.

So is LTE at this point a true 4G
Technology?

My point is ... What is real definition of 4G? For all intent and purposes?

Here is a Verizon LTE speed test video in Hawaii. If you watch this video
You will see why I feel "4G" lte is just
An advertising pitch.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmIZT2bDgVc

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
LTE does voice and data at the same time. There wasn't really an argument just saying HSPA+ is advanced 3G. HSPA+ is not more advanced than LTE, otherwise why would everyone be rolling it out? It wasn't HSPA+ that allowed voice and data at the same time, it was the GSM networks (T-Mobile and AT&T) vs. CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) that was the difference. Now with LTE (and the use of SIM cards) Verizon's LTE network can do voice and data.

As far as the speed thing, I hate getting into that because that can have so many variables (location, subscribers, population, coverage, etc, etc) because there are times I have pulled down 50mps in some areas and much much lower in others. Also my speeds can vary depending on the time of day also.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In Hawaii from what I see on Ave.
My co-workers Verizon lte speeds
Is anywhere from 8-15MB DL. I never did see his LTE hit 20MB in 2 years since it went live. At work anyways.
On T-Mobile I used to have Hspa+ at work (now LTE) I
would Ave 12-18MB DL.
What are you basing your 4G argument on? Speed?
Also, HSPA+ can do simultaneous voice and data. At this point LTE doesn't?
To me HSPA+ is still technically more advanced than LTE.

So is LTE at this point a true 4G
Technology?

My point is ... What is real definition of 4G? For all intent and purposes?

Here is a Verizon LTE speed test video in Hawaii. If you watch this video
You will see why I feel "4G" lte is just
An advertising pitch.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmIZT2bDgVc

Supposedly volte should be available by end of month. Even now, voice can be used simultaneously with LTE data, just not volte.

For me 4g is any speed substantially faster than 3g.

Keep in mind dc- hspa+ can hit 42mbps,whereas 5x5 700MHz lte such as what Tmobile bought from Verizon maxes at 37.5mbps.

As for real speeds it varies depending on so many variables. You will find fast 4GLTE speed tests and slow 4GLTE speed tests. Same with hspa+ or any other technology.

This is near a few large shopping centers and large movie theater. I can get higher speeds at non peak times on Verizon

u8ydegem.jpg

This is at my work on 4GLTE , which is among multiple high rises. I do not have 20x20mhz here either. My co-worker has tmobile and their 4g(per the indicator) at this spot is slow, probably around 2mbps or less.
ynu8ujyj.jpg

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly volte should be available by end of month. Even now, voice can be used simultaneously with LTE data, just not volte.

For me 4g is any speed substantially faster than 3g.

Keep in mind dc- hspa+ can hit 42mbps,whereas 5x5 700MHz lte such as what Tmobile bought from Verizon maxes at 37.5mbps.

As for real speeds it varies depending on so many variables. You will find fast 4GLTE speed tests and slow 4GLTE speed tests. Same with hspa+ or any other technology.

This is near a few large shopping centers and large movie theater. I can get higher speeds at non peak times on Verizon

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/06/u8ydegem.jpg

This is at my work on 4GLTE , which is among multiple high rises. I do not have 20x20mhz here either. My co-worker has tmobile and their 4g(per the indicator) at this spot is slow, probably around 2mbps or less.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/06/ynu8ujyj.jpg

Point taken...
However,
My opinion was based on someone saying hpsa+isn't true 4G?
Like you, I assume when we use the term 4G, it is based mostly on the higher speed we get over again what we call 3G.
How can one say hspa+ isn't true 4G? HSPA+ in certain places I know not only here but other cities is faster than some 4G LTE networks. Here's another, what if your still on sprint's 4G Wimax?
How can we designate it 4G? It is slow compared to Hspa+or LTE?
I do know voice over LTE is right around the corner. But as of yet it is not implemented. From what I have read, Verizon's voice over lte was supposed to go live the end of last year when they started to refarm the 850mhz cdma spectrum.
I also hope that when Volte goes live? Companies like Verizon and AT&T won't kill grandfathered unlimited plans?
Anyway, though it is an exciting time to be apart of this wireless revolution.

Last edited:

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
HPSA+ is technically not 4G. That was my point. It is advanced 3G. I didn't day it wasn't faster than 3G. Again speeds as dpham00 printed out can vary depending on a variety of reasons. When I had Sprint, I was in an area that was "4G" and my speeds were 2mps max, while friends of mine on AT&T and Verizon had faster speeds run on 3G.

There are so many variants to speed. Time of day, traffic, tower locations (or signal stength) that can affect speeds.

But no, HSPA+ is not true 4G, it's called that, but look it up, AT&T pays out a large every year just to keep calling it that. It's a marketing thing, just like disgust before in this thread. I mean Verizon pays out fines over the LTE maps because to keep them up as advertising, because they don't update them everytime one of the other carriers updates their LTE maps. Even WiMax was not "true" 4G. When 4G first came out it was advertised that way by all the companies, but it was more a just an amp'd up 3G. Faster yes, but not true 4G.