How does the T-Mobile JUMP program work?

shin777

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile JUMP Questions.

Here is my situation. My note 2 was getting old so I upgraded to note 3 yesterday. However, according to everyone online, note 4 is coming out in 2 months. So I asked about jump program. I spoke with 2 different representative and these are their answers.

rep 1. Pay $308 up front(50% of note 3 price) and I will be able to jump upgrade to note 4 when it comes out. When I jump upgrade, note 3 trade in value will be transffered to note 4 price so total price will be note 4 price minus note 3 trade-in value at that time. For example, if note 4 is $700 and note 3 trade in value is $250 at that time, it will be 700-250 = $450 divide by 24 monthly fee.

rep 2. Pay $308 up front(50% of note 3 price) and I will be able to jump upgrade to note 4 when it comes out. When I jump upgrade, I have to give note 3 to t-mobile and no trade-in credit will be applied towards note 4. So if note 4 comes out for $700, I have to pay $700 divided by 24 monthly fee.

which one is true? Depending on answer, I might just go back to t-mobile store and return note 3. I will surely be mad if note 4 comes out in 2 months after buying $600 phone. Let me know which is the correct answer.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Jump Questions. Who's right?

Number 2 is correct. You can't do number 1 without the phone being paid off. So route 1 could be done but you'd still have to pay the rest of the balance (basically full price).

Option 2 you can just pay the monthly cost... Once the Note 4 comes out pay extra to get to 50 percent of the phone paid off and then jump.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Last edited:

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Number 2 is correct. You can't so number 1 without the phone being paid off. So route 1 could be done but you'd still have to pay the rest of the balance (basically full price).

Option 2 you can just pay the monthly cost... Once the Note 4 comes out pay extra to get to 50 percent of the phone paid off and then jump.

I second that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

shin777

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

gosh.. this jump program is garbage then. they charge $12 a month for this and if you do the calculation, this is much worse deal than having 2 years contract. Do the math.

2 year contract
no monthly fee
get phone for $300(note calibur)
1 year use and sell one for $300 on ebay and add another $300 to get new note.
2nd year use 2 year contract and get new note calibur phone for $300 and sell the one u use for $300 on ebay
phone is urs

Jump Program
pay $12 monthly fee
No discount on phone but 24 month no interest financing.
they pay you up to half of phone price when switching to new phone but you have to give your phone to them.
phone is financed so you have to keep paying more monthly fee addition to your monthly plan and service bill.

This sux. only positive side about this is being able to finance 24 months no interest but overall price i am paying is just rip off. :(

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Jump isn't a deal: you're paying for the convenience of upgrading your device regularly through the carrier. If you don't want to upgrade regularly it's not worth it, and if you're willing to buy and sell devices through third parties it's not worth it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The old jump program made sense since you only had to pay for 6 months. Since the introduction of the 50 percent requirement, it makes less sense financially speaking.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

AnotherCookie

May 1, 2014
Visit site

The old jump program made sense since you only had to pay for 6 months. Since the introduction of the 50 percent requirement, it makes less sense financially speaking.

Actually with the old JUMP you only wait 6 months for your first JUMP any other JUMP is limited to 2 per year.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Actually with the old JUMP you only wait 6 months for your first JUMP any other JUMP is limited to 2 per year.

Correct, 6 months minimum between jumps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

gosh.. this jump program is garbage then. they charge $12 a month for this and if you do the calculation, this is much worse deal than having 2 years contract. Do the math.

2 year contract
no monthly fee
get phone for $300(note calibur)
1 year use and sell one for $300 on ebay and add another $300 to get new note.
2nd year use 2 year contract and get new note calibur phone for $300 and sell the one u use for $300 on ebay
phone is urs

Jump Program
pay $12 monthly fee
No discount on phone but 24 month no interest financing.
they pay you up to half of phone price when switching to new phone but you have to give your phone to them.
phone is financed so you have to keep paying more monthly fee addition to your monthly plan and service bill.

This sux. only positive side about this is being able to finance 24 months no interest but overall price i am paying is just rip off. :(

As for the jump Yeah you're paying monthly to pay it off. When you hand in the old phone after paying half you don't pay on that one anymore.. You move on to the next.

You can always jump to AT&T or Verizon if you want a contract price :).

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Correct, 6 months minimum between jumps.

Common misconception. It's not six months between jumps. How the old one worked is you could jump twice a year after the first 6 months. So once you jump once you have one more to use within a year. You could use it one month later or 9 months later. Does not have to be in 6 month intervals. Jumps will then reset 1 year from the date of the first Jump upgrade.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site

So here's how it goes from what I've experienced:

Yes, you pay $308 up front for the Note 3, then you also have the monthly payments to pay off the rest. When you go to JUMP you do return the device, but it wipes out the remaining balance on what you owe for the Note 3. Now the thing is, when you use your JUMP upgrades the up-front costs are significantly lower than when you do a non-JUMP upgrade, but the monthly costs are higher. Since you said you had to pay $308 up-front, I'm assuming you're in what T-Mobile calls the "Building Credit" bracket.

That being said here's how it would work to JUMP to a Note 4 (based off of me JUMPing to a LG G3):

Non-Jump Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
Non-Jump Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket): ~$350 down (Half the cost of the device) w/ $14.60 per month for 24 months.
JUMP Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
JUMP Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket) $70 down (10% of device cost) w/ $26.25 per month for 24 months.

Overall, it's whether or not you like having the convenience of being able to upgrade when you want. JUMP is still restricted to 2 JUMPs a year.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
So here's how it goes from what I've experienced:

Yes, you pay $308 up front for the Note 3, then you also have the monthly payments to pay off the rest. When you go to JUMP you do return the device, but it wipes out the remaining balance on what you owe for the Note 3. Now the thing is, when you use your JUMP upgrades the up-front costs are significantly lower than when you do a non-JUMP upgrade, but the monthly costs are higher. Since you said you had to pay $308 up-front, I'm assuming you're in what T-Mobile calls the "Building Credit" bracket.

That being said here's how it would work to JUMP to a Note 4 (based off of me JUMPing to a LG G3):

Non-Jump Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
Non-Jump Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket): ~$350 down (Half the cost of the device) w/ $14.60 per month for 24 months.
JUMP Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
JUMP Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket) $70 down (10% of device cost) w/ $26.25 per month for 24 months.

Overall, it's whether or not you like having the convenience of being able to upgrade when you want. JUMP is still restricted to 2 JUMPs a year.
Your thought process makes sense but is wrong. Jump has nothing to do with how much you have to put down. That is solely based off credit and tenure (assuming you have enough EIP available) . There are three tiers of down-payment. "good credit" is $0 down., "descent credit" $70 down, and "bad or building credit" is $300 down. Jump upgrade or non-Jump upgrade, those are the down payments. The only thing that will change it at that point is tenure. The "descent credit" will automatically get $0 down after 1 year. The "bad or building credit" will automatically get $0 after 3 years.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

This depends on which Jump they have. If you have the original Jump then this statement is true.
If you are talking the newer Jump where half the device has to be paid off then you're wrong. The newer Jump is as many times as you want as long as half the device is paid off.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Common misconception. It's not six months between jumps. How the old one worked is you could jump twice a year after the first 6 months. So once you jump once you have one more to use within a year. You could use it one month later or 9 months later. Does not have to be in 6 month intervals. Jumps will then reset 1 year from the date of the first Jump upgrade.

I believe your last point is incorrect. I was told by two T-Mobile reps that the 2 upgrades/year are based off when you originally signed up, not when you first JUMPed.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I believe your last point is incorrect. I was told by two T-Mobile reps that the 2 upgrades/year are based off when you originally signed up, not when you first JUMPed.
a4aba9er.jpg

I am right. It is 2 Jump upgrades in a 12 month period. Which means it would reset 12 months (1 year) after the first upgrade, like I said.

quay69

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I have the old jump plan and it's 100 percent better than the new jump plan you're allowed two jumps a year and you don't have to have half of your device paid off, if I get a new phone today and the note 4 comes out on Halloween, guess what I can get the new note by trading my current phone in and only paying the taxes of the new phone that's all that's why they stopped offering the original jump plan because it was to good to be true just like they stopped offering the unlimited everything plan for 70 dollars I'm just glad I'm grandfathered in so my plans will always remain the same

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

CFR0628

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that the $10 fee for jump also includes insurance and lookout premium. Other carriers charge 10$ or more JUST for the insurance.

"And only with JUMP!, you’re protected if your device* is lost, damaged, or stolen with the included Premium Handset Protection® and Lookout Mobile Security®. (Deductible may apply; see FAQ below.)"

Posted via Android Central App

NTHAPYWITSSUNGS5

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

I SPOKE ON PHONE WIT T-MOBILE REP, CUZ WHEN I BOUGHT MY WIFE LG G3 HE CONVINCED ME TO PAY THE EXTRA 10$ A MONTH FOR THE JUMP. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WHEN YOU HAVE HALF OF YOUR PHONE BALANCE PAID OFF, YOU COULD JUMP AND GIVE YOUR PHONE AND GET A % OF THE PHONE TOWARDS THE UPGRADED PHONE. SO THE REP EXPLAINS TO ME THAT WHEN YOU JUMP, THEY PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE AND YOU GIVE THEM THE PHONE AND COMPLETELY REFINANCE THE NEXT PHONE. SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I WENT BACK AND FORTH WITH THE REP IN A RESPECTFUL WAY PLEADING MY CASE THAT I SHOULD RECIEVE SOME VALUE FOR THE $400+ I HAVE PAID FOR THE CURRENT LG G3. THE WAY SHE EXPLAINED IT WAS LIKE T-MOBILE WAS DOING ME A FAVOR AND TAKING A LOSS, WHEN THEY ARE JUST GOING TO REFURBISH AND SELL THE FLAGSHIP FOR $500-600. SO THE BEST BET IS, IF YOU WANT THE NOTE 4 LIKE MYSELF, JUST PAY THE PHONE OFF GET IT UNLOCKED AND RESELL IT YOURSELF BECAUSE ALL OF THESE TOP TIER PHONES HOLD THEIR VALUE, A NOTE 3 USED IN PERFECT CONDITION IS RESELLING ON EBAY AND AMAZON FOR $500 AND UP. THATS WHAT I AM GOIN TO DO WITH MY LG G3.

Posted via the Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Caps lock aside, you're correct: Jump isn't a deal, it's a convenience. You'll be far better off financially buying and selling phones yourself off contract, but most people don't want to go to the bother or don't have the money to spend up front.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Caps lock aside, you're correct: Jump isn't a deal, it's a convenience. You'll be far better off financially buying and selling phones yourself off contract, but most people don't want to go to the bother or don't have the money to spend up front.

He isn't right though .... The note 3 on Ebay is going around $400 note $500 and that at $400 is about $300 cheaper then new price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret