12-05-2016 02:02 PM
69 123
tools
    A Nexus 5 with Marshmallow will probably work to some degree though the handoffs might be iffy. There's a bit of a hardware requirement with WFC. I got my Nexus 6 from an eBay seller and flashed it myself.
    Flashed it with what? I'm curious.
    I would go buy a Nexus 5 to BYOD to TMO if I could be certain that WFC worked. I've been scouring the internet and haven't yet seen a report of it working. T-Mobile's own support pages for the Nexus 5 says that it is unsupported and the stuff I've read on other forums seems to back this up. If anybody knows of any accounts of a BYOD phone from another carrier (other than a Nexus 6) working for WiFi Calling, I'd sure like to read about it. Thanks!
    11-21-2015 01:20 PM
    Flashed it with the Marshmallow factory image.
    11-21-2015 01:21 PM
    Didn't read the whole thread but I have wifi calling working on both my Nexus 6P and 5X. Just had to flip the switch in phone settings.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-27-2015 02:51 PM
    iPhone 6 as well. Brought over from Verizon and WiFi AND VoLTE work like a charm.
    02-02-2016 09:20 PM
    iPhone 6 as well. Brought over from Verizon and WiFi AND VoLTE work like a charm.
    iPhone is different since it never gets touched by carriers like Android phones do.
    02-02-2016 09:50 PM
    So an iPhone from another carrier will now work for Wi-Fi calling?
    02-08-2016 12:09 AM
    So an iPhone from another carrier will now work for Wi-Fi calling?
    Yes. It has from the start since Apple controls all software on iPhones. The software will see it's a T-Mobile SIM and will allow wifi calling to be utilized.
    02-08-2016 01:35 AM
    i have metro pcs, but i'm using an iPhone 6s plus from sprint but unlock, the wi-fi calling work perfect, but now i have a samsung galaxy s7 i don't know to make that thing work.
    09-30-2016 09:24 PM
    I'm using an AT&T unlocked PRIV with a TMO SIM card, and WIFI calling works well.
    10-18-2016 07:43 PM
    I'm using an AT&T unlocked PRIV with a TMO SIM card, and WIFI calling works well.
    DeviceIDs (veniceatt/venicetmo) notwithstanding, for quite a while BB has been one of the few OEMs (not named Apple) who's afforded the "privilege" of WFC working across non-branded devices.

You might recall that before TMO had all BB10 phones whitelisted for WFC (on specific OS builds,) the way it worked was that in addition to the specific OS builds, you had to have a BB10 phone--model and sub-model--that TMO carried. Seemingly, this is the same requirement they have for Android BB phones. Since AT&T and TMO Privs are both STV100-1, you just need a branded or unlocked -1 and a TMO SIM for WFC to work*

*I haven't seen anyone with an STV100-3 (the global Priv, which includes all TMO bands) report the presence of WFC. I guess there just aren't too many people using a -3 on TMO.
    10-25-2016 09:01 PM
    Wifi calling, HD voice, band 12, VoLTE, etc. All working on my Pixel XL.
    10-26-2016 10:26 AM
    Band 12 on Pixel XL.

HEADS UP: No WiFi calling with BYOD even if your plan includes it...-1479234415017.jpg
    11-15-2016 12:26 PM
    Yep... WFC, VoLTE and band 12 all work on my 6P as well.
    11-18-2016 09:22 AM
    the pixel works with those features because legere and tmo are trying to get people to switch from vzw with that phone.
    12-01-2016 04:12 PM
    They work because they've been baked into the phone from the get go.
    12-01-2016 05:14 PM
    They work because they've been baked into the phone from the get go.
    If that was all it took, WFC for a TMO customer would work on any Android phone that has WFC baked in--Verizon variants of cross-compatible Android phones, for example. But evidently that's not the case.
    12-01-2016 08:50 PM
    If that was all it took, WFC for a TMO customer would work on any Android phone that has WFC baked in--Verizon variants of cross-compatible Android phones, for example. But evidently that's not the case.
    Bake it in correctly then. Nexus phones have worked with T-Mobile's wifi calling going back to the Nexus 5 if memory serves me right. And the 5X and 6P, which aren't carried by then, worked out of the box with it.

That it does on the Pixel had nothing to do with Verizon... It had everything to do with Google wanting their phones to work everywhere.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-01-2016 09:48 PM
    Bake it in correctly then.
    The problem arises when you have an OEM majorly involved in device software development/updates, and carrier-specific variants. Samsung, for example, may not bother with certification for TMO on a phone TMO isn't going to carry, including other carriers' variants of a Samsung phone TMO does carry.

The Nexus examples you gave were carrier-ambivalent, at least in that there was one model for all North American carriers. Same with the Pixel line and many other factory unlocked phones.
    12-02-2016 02:25 PM
    The problem arises when you have an OEM majorly involved in device software development/updates, and carrier-specific variants. Samsung, for example, may not bother with certification for TMO on a phone TMO isn't going to carry, including other carriers' variants of a Samsung phone TMO does carry.

The Nexus examples you gave were carrier-ambivalent, at least in that there was one model for all North American carriers. Same with the Pixel line and many other factory unlocked phones.
    It's hard to comment on what stops it though. Is it certification? Or is it Verizon simply not wanting wifi calling to work on their variant of the S7 edge except for their network and Samsung obliges? Wifi calling worked on my unlocked Moto X Pure Edition and works on my Pixel XL.

We know that Google has it baked in so if the carrier allows it to connect up.. Good to go. Verizon and T-Mobile have zero issues on the Pixel. AT&T is bigger and has more money then T-Mobile yet they purposely have all unlocked phones not work on their wifi calling or even VoLTE / HD voice. That tells me I doubt it's a certification thing as the only stopping point. I think it's them being greedy. I look at it like if T-Mobile can do it.. The richer AT&T should be able to. The key fact is they don't want to though.. As they want you to buy their higher priced for same model phones... Yet on T-Mobile I get HD voice, VoLTE, wifi calling... All without lifting a finger. Pop in SIM and use the phone.
    12-05-2016 02:02 PM
69 123