Another customer to T-mobile? (from VZW)

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the theoretical compatibility between T-Mobile and the competitors, but the fact that Apple is able to implement WiFi calling at the OS level would imply that it shouldn't be an issue for Google to do the same.

Given that only T-Mobile is crowing about it so far, I have a feeling that Apple is specifically implementing T-Mobile WiFi calling. Otherwise Sprint and Republic would be jumping all over it marketing-wise. Particularly Republic, since they're the only ones that have managed to get the WiFi<->Cell handoffs right.

The Samsung Galaxy Avant actually just launched with Band 12 support.

We said phone, not child's toy. ;) Seriously, the Avant is a very low-end device that someone used to an M8, GS5, or G3 wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the feasibility of Google putting a WiFi calling API into the kernel...

Actually, that would be pretty hard, because it requires extremely low-level SIM access.
Shouldn't be difficult at all. Separation of responsibilities. Very common in certain secure modern software systems.

The kernel has the low-level SIM access. The app, the delivery and installation of which would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API. Then, via the API, the app provides to the kernel the necessary bits from the carrier's end of things, and the kernel provides to the app the SIM info it requires.

Jim

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the feasibility of Google putting a WiFi calling API into the kernel...

Shouldn't be difficult at all. Separation of responsibilities. Very common in certain secure modern software systems.

The kernel has the low-level SIM access. The app, the delivery and installation of which would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API. Then, via the API, the app provides to the kernel the necessary bits from the carrier's end of things, and the kernel provides to the app the SIM info it requires.

Jim

Except that now you've provided an API to get at the SIM card, which the carriers don't want, and understandably so.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Except that now you've provided an API to get at the SIM card, which the carriers don't want, and understandably so.
I guess you missed the parts where "...the delivery and installation of [the app] would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API." It would be only the provider's own app which would be granted the necessary access, for the purpose of facilitating WiFi calling connections.

Jim

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess you missed the parts where "...the delivery and installation of [the app] would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API." It would be only the provider's own app which would be granted the necessary access, for the purpose of facilitating WiFi calling connections.

Jim

I didn't miss a thing. But I think you missed the part where someone from XDA cracks it in 5 minutes.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
And the difference between somebody from XDA cracking that vs. cracking what's already there is...?

Jim

Is that so far it's so low-level and so integrated into the OS that no one's been able to crack it. But if you leave an API open for a program to talk to, that makes it a lot easier.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Is that so far it's so low-level and so integrated into the OS that no one's been able to crack it. But if you leave an API open for a program to talk to, that makes it a lot easier.

All this talk made me realize that the difference between Android and iOS is open source vs closed source. If it was to be integrated into Android it would have to be open sourced. By integrating it into the T-Mobile specific devices you don't need to make it open source so it's much easier to keep locked down.

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I switched from vzw to T-Mobile and so far I love it but my first big test comes today,I'm taking a two hour road trip and I wanna see how good my service will be while on the road.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I switched from vzw to T-Mobile and so far I love it but my first big test comes today,I'm taking a two hour road trip and I wanna see how good my service will be while on the road.

Hope it works well for you. I am still happy with T-Mobile due to the price/unlimited data but you do need to be willing to accept that in some cases (like road trips) you may need to prepare to not have data service.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Given that only T-Mobile is crowing about it so far, I have a feeling that Apple is specifically implementing T-Mobile WiFi calling. Otherwise Sprint and Republic would be jumping all over it marketing-wise. Particularly Republic, since they're the only ones that have managed to get the WiFi<->Cell handoffs right.

We said phone, not child's toy. ;) Seriously, the Avant is a very low-end device that someone used to an M8, GS5, or G3 wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Phone snobs...gotta love them. My son loves his Galaxy Avant.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Regarding T-Mobile having issues in tall buildings....I work in a high rise on Wall Street and was previously a Verizon customer. I was constantly frustrated by the lack of a cell signal at my desk when, one day, I noticed a co-worker right next to me had a full five bar signal. He was on T-Mobile. I am too now. True, some rural areas are spotty, but the same can be said for any carrier. At one time or another, I've used all four of the major carriers and none of them are perfect everywhere, all of the time. (Sprint was the worst)

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
^^^^ Yes, it can be very odd. For many, many years I got the best service from Verizon. After a recent relocation, Verizon is the worst provider at home and at the office. Cell coverage and mobile data is ridiculously good with T-Mobile.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from VZW to TMO about a month ago. I only have issues with TMO in a couple of places. And I agree with building penetration, it sucks. If I had to sum up the difference between the two: VZW has an even coverage and with just enough signal to get you by. TMO signal is either non-existent or really strong. TMO calls are also clearer and it's LTE is way faster than VZW's. On most days, TMO is just fine. It's just when I venture out in the middle of nowhere is when I wish I still had VZW. Also, I must add that I do have a beef with TMO on their coverage map. It show's great LTE coverage at my office, but I can't even get a solid 2G signal to make a call or send/receive a text. But their map shows it being in great LTE coverage. I've contacted them about it but I have yet to hear back about it but I doubt I will.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I gave T-Mobile my home address. The phone agent said, yeah, you have great coverage there. I start service . . . and no not so much. I call back and phone agent is like, no, coverage there is really bad, sorry. WTF!

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I gave T-Mobile my home address. The phone agent said, yeah, you have great coverage there. I start service . . . and no not so much. I call back and phone agent is like, no, coverage there is really bad, sorry. WTF!
Sorry to hear that but that is exactly why there is a test drive program so you can test and see for yourself how the coverage is where you live, work and play.

I will say this their network has improved 110% since last year and they keep improving it all the time..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney