DC-Maryland-Virginia coverage and speeds?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The only thread I found on this area was a year and a half old, and I assume things have change since then.

Can people please comment on the reliability of the network and the LTE coverage, in the DC metro area. I'm particularly interested in Reston / Herndon, Arlington, and Springfield / Newington in Virginia, and Bethesda up to Germantown in Maryland.

I've looked at the maps, but in the past have found you can't always believe what a carrier tells you.

Any other thoughts on T-Mobile in this area are welcome as well. Many thanks for your help.

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
many parts from Reston to Great Falls(from 264 to north of Rt. 7) still has ZERO T-mobile signal. Yes, you read that right. ZERO signal. :( on my other phone(Verizon Galaxy Note 3), I always get 21mbps or more... even during busy hours.

wolfman7828

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Germantown and Gaithersburg have a good signal. Last time I did a speed test near buffalo wild wings in Gaithersburg I got 20mbs up and down

Posted via Android Central App

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I live in Fall Church and I travel all over the DMV area everyday, and IMO that AT&T has the best signal bar none. I say this because I've been using cell phone since cellular one owns most of antennas in the areas which was bought by cingular and then AT&T. I really haven't find a spot where I loose the signal in DMV yet.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Germantown and Gaithersburg have a good signal. Last time I did a speed test near buffalo wild wings in Gaithersburg I got 20mbs up and down

Posted via Android Central App

Parts of Gaithersburg and Germantown have a good signal. Parts are terrible. There are a number of areas near Clopper and Great Seneca where maintaining a signal at all is tough, and as soon as you go indoors it's gone. I work near the Bethesda Metro, and the signal was great. No complains there, data speeds were plenty fast.

I did end up switching to AT&T after having enough signal issues at my home in Germantown that I couldn't rely on my phone for incoming calls. I had a Moto X and my wife had an iPhone, so Wifi Calling wasn't an option (although it still would have been an issue when walking the dog down the block). I tried one of their repeater setups but even at the window I couldn't get a strong enough signal to rebroadcast.

EDIT: Not sure on this, but I seem to remember one or two dead spots on 270 going from Germantown to Bethesda. They were generally pretty small, but remember there being a couple areas where I made sure if I was streaming music I had everything queued up so it would cache ahead of time, because if I tried to switch songs it would hang. I never did an indepth look into it, though.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

Bigballer, thanks very much for that link. I had forgotten all about Sensorly. That shows pretty weak coverage in several areas I'll be spending a lot of time. So I don't guess I'll switch now. Maybe next time.