T-Mobile vs Verizon

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I am on Verizon currently and am looking to switch to either T-Mobile to save money. I'm spending $200 a month on Verizon for 4 phones and a Wi-Fi hotspot with 12gb shared data. For $130 through 2015 on T-Mobile, I'll get 10gb for the phones and 3gb for the hotspot. After 2015, it will be the same except 12gb data for phones and $170 a month. Should I switch? How is the coverage and speed vs Verizon?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on your region. I'm in California (San Diego, North County) and Verizon has much better coverage than T-Mo, I'm afraid (I have T-Mo on my personal line, Verizon on my work phone). More than once have I had to use my (cringes) iPhone to search for something or make a call because my Note 3 has no service, especially inside big stores or at my office's warehouse. But when you do have a signal, I've streamed HD video on T-Mo without a hiccup.

BTW, your phone includes hotspot data on T-Mo, no need to get a sepparate device (unless that's your thing, of course...but IMHO that's just a waste of money if you have your phone available as data for these is usually more expensive).

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
For the hotspot, it would be for my computer for work (I'm a lawyer but not in a firm) because I travel a lot for work. I would use my phone, except on Verizon I'll under the impression that you don't receive calls which is a deal breaker if you're using your phone as a hotspot. Do you know how it works on T-Mobile and if I'm wrong about that? Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't know about getting calls while using data, but you certainly lose data when making calls with Verizon. With T-Mo, on the other hand, you don't. You can have both.

If still on the fence why not try out T-Mobile's Test Drive? You get a phone for a week to test out the service. Sure, it's an iPhone, but at least you'll know if it's the right service for you when you're on the go (at home you can get one of those new WiFi extenders or use WiFi calling if you're in range of one).

As for the data, I'm certain that in T-Mobile your phone's 4G allowance is for both the phone or to use the phone as a hotspot. After that quota you don't get cut off or have to pay extra, you just get a much slower speed for the rest of the billing period.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree with what others have said about the test drive. Around populated areas such as cities, t-mobile is better IMO. But in a more rural area Verizon is probably better.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For the hotspot, it would be for my computer for work (I'm a lawyer but not in a firm) because I travel a lot for work. I would use my phone, except on Verizon I'll under the impression that you don't receive calls which is a deal breaker if you're using your phone as a hotspot. Do you know how it works on T-Mobile and if I'm wrong about that? Thanks.

It depends on the device, but most if not all 4GLTE Androids support svlte (simultaneous voice and data while connected to 4GLTE). There are a few Androids that support svdo (simultaneous voice and data over 3g too but those are limited to a handful of older devices.

I have used my note 3 as a hotspot and phone calls work fine even while on hotspot while connected to 4GLTE.

Screen shot for reference from my note 3 this morning :
ygybu3ez.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, well, that's what I thought but when I tried it with my Verizon phone it didn't work. I guess iPhones don't have that capability then hehe. I would try it with my Note 3 but as we know, the SIM cards are not the same size, so no can do.

It depends on the device, but most if not all 4GLTE Androids support svlte (simultaneous voice and data while connected to 4GLTE). There are a few Androids that support svdo (simultaneous voice and data over 3g too but those are limited to a handful of older devices.

I have used my note 3 as a hotspot and phone calls work fine even while on hotspot while connected to 4GLTE.

Screen shot for reference from my note 3 this morning :
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/18/ygybu3ez.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, well, that's what I thought but when I tried it with my Verizon phone it didn't work. I guess iPhones don't have that capability then hehe. I would try it with my Note 3 but as we know, the SIM cards are not the same size, so no can do.

Correct. Verizon iPhones cannot do voice and data (that will change though once VoLTE is up and running ... Once that happens then yes it will work).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hence why I specified Verizon 4GLTE Androids. The Verizon iPhones currently released on current software (as of today at least) on do not support simultaneous voice and data.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
We made the Verizon to T-Mobile jump about 3-4 months ago and I couldn't be happier. I'm saving a ton of money (the same scenario you gave, actually) and the service has been excellent. We're in suburban Portland, OR - so in a metropolitan area. It's all good here. Even going to the beach this summer we got pretty good reception in a non-T-Mobile area. Not looking back...

crawlspeed

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I went from Verizon to Tmobile and have mixed feeling about the switch. The price is MUCH better, saving almost 100 dollars a month for our 3 phones. The coverage is not even close as far as traveling goes. We are in Dallas, but have taken our phones on a few long road trips both south, north and west and it seems to be the same story anytime your on a highway between cities...its a bit of a exaggeration maybe... but it feels like anytime I am not within a few miles of a major metropolitan area I have either voice only or nothing. The non city coverage is basically non existent. This was with our nexus 4's which were not LTE compatible, I just got a G3 so I am hoping possibly that adding the LTE in will help with coverage, but I guess we will see.

With verizon, I can't remember a time I didn't have a signal, even in rural Illinois while visiting family.

Customer service has been good with both companies, but I really prefer the changes Tmobile is making with its uncarrier stuff, which is the main reason I like giving them my support and money.

But like I said, if you travel a lot as you said, then coverage should be a concern.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
ONLY The IPHONE 6 On Verizon can CALL and use data at the same time! ALL LTE Android Devices can use DATA while making phone calls

I believe this will only work if the iPhone is in a VoLTE market. Android phones on Verizon have purposely built around this to ensure data when on a call even when not in a VoLTE area.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You might be right, but up until now, IPHONE's on Verizon have always had 1 radio antenna, used by both LTE and CDMA... I think the 6 finally has 2, so you can talk and surf at the same time

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what others have said about the test drive. Around populated areas such as cities, t-mobile is better IMO. But in a more rural area Verizon is probably better.
Even in most areas outside of cities connection is fine if you don't want LTE as a must have. I was on a train to Bridgeport from Penn Station in nyc and while I didn't have LTE all the way I had service about 95% of the time to get OK speeds and solid connection for calling

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995