Nokia working with T-Mobile on LTE carrier aggregation

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why they're wasting their time with HSDPA/HSDPA+ in their 2G refarm, just go the full length to LTE already.

With that said, I'm more than happy all this does is require a simple software update: 1700, 1900, 2100, with future 700/600 mhz. I wonder if my nexus 5 is capable of those 3 former frequencies.Tmobile's on fire these days.

I'm wondering at what point is tmobile going to start refarming their 3g to lte?

Mmm, what's the difference between LTE and LTE-A (advanced)?

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why they're wasting their time with HSDPA/HSDPA+ in their 2G refarm, just go the full length to LTE already.

With that said, I'm more than happy all this does is require a simple software update: 1700, 1900, 2100, with future 700/600 mhz. I wonder if my nexus 5 is capable of those 3 former frequencies.Tmobile's on fire these days.

I'm wondering at what point is tmobile going to start refarming their 3g to lte?

Theoretical output.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Nexus 5 is capable of 1700/2100 and 1900mhz. It is also capable of band 17 - 700MHz lower blocks b and c, but not band 12 (700MHz lower blocks a, b, and c). TMobile will be operating on band 12 only which the nexus 5 doesn't support. Only very recent phones like the note 4 support band 12.

Lte-a is an improvement to lte and brings stuff like carrier aggregation and 8x8 mimo. The nexus 5 SoC is capable of carrier aggregation, but only 2-10mhz carriers. Theoretical peak speed on the n5 is cat4 - 150mbps, on either a single 20mhz carrier or 2-10mhz carriers. The Note 4 is cat 6 capable of 300mbps. Keep in mind that these are theoretical, the carrier may or may not support it.

My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has the same SoC as the n5:

7yry4u4e.jpg

You can read more about lte-a here if desired:

http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/97-lte-advanced

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Looking into it, what tmobile is doing is actually pretty amazing. By this time next year, we should have all stations being LTE and/or HSDPA +, no more 2g edge or 3g.

very, very impressive.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Looking into it, what tmobile is doing is actually pretty amazing. By this time next year, we should have all stations being LTE and/or HSDPA +, no more 2g edge or 3g.

very, very impressive.
HSDPA is 3G.......being in faux 4G naming...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Because there is few phones without LTE still being sold

Which hasn't been the case for the last 18 months or so.

Hey, everyone like to through the BS android 18 month upgrade window around when it comes to software, but when it comes to hardware, nawww.

Online the only phones I see without LTE are the extremely old phones such as the Galaxy s2 and whatnot.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Which hasn't been the case for the last 18 months or so.

Hey, everyone like to through the BS android 18 month upgrade window around when it comes to software, but when it comes to hardware, nawww.

Online the only phones I see without LTE are the extremely old phones such as the Galaxy s2 and whatnot.
My father would rather avoid smartphones and prefer flip phones don't do voice over LTE

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Only very recent phones like the note 4,ip6 support band 12.

With all respect the iPhone 6/6+ does support AT&T's band 12 but not T-Mobiles "A Bock" that was UHF TV channel 51 that the FCC is clearing out for cell phones.The FCC has ordered all TV Channel 51 to move their channel or go out of business.

T-Mobile has made several smaller regional 700 MHz acquisitions since then, all associated with "A-block" spectrum it needs to build out its network. The company's already deploying the 700 MHz network, but there's a hitch: Very few phones support it. T-Mobile said it's expecting handsets to support the LTE band associated with that spectrum to roll out in the fourth quarter. A few Android phones already do. But it looks like the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus won't. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to miss out on some T-Mobile network improvements | iMore

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With all respect the iPhone 6/6+ does support AT&T's band 12 but not T-Mobiles "A Bock" that was UHF TV channel 51 that the FCC is clearing out for cell phones.The FCC has ordered all TV Channel 51 to move their channel or go out of business.
Correct, ip6 doesn't support b12.that was already discussed in posts 5 and 6. The att ip6 doesn't have b12 support either. It does support b17 which is a b12 subset though.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz