T-Mobile vs Metro PCS

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I am on Metro PCS with a Nexus 5 that is using the T-Mobile cell towers. Since Metro PCS is $10 cheaper a month what is the difference? Granted T-Mobile allows wifi tether and Metro doesn't.

I was in a T-Mobile story yesterday and was told if I was a T-Mobile customer I would have faster data. Then I ran a OOKLA speed test and the guy that told me that T-Mo would be faster picked up a iPhone and had slower data test. Then he got a Samsung S5 and ran the test but didn't show me the results of the speed test then just walked away and I left. However I was in there only to help a friend that needed a new phone not to harass the salesmen. It all went the wrong way when I told the salesmen we would pay cash for the phone and move to Metro PCS after one month on T-Mobile to save $10. I would really like to know what I would get extra if I paid more for T-Mobile over their mvno Metro PCS?

I may move since T-Mobile have better phones than Metro PCS for some reason. My kid needs a new phone since she is still using a Metro CDMA phone that is converting all the towers to T-Mobile GSM.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with sticking with Metro PCS. Any T-Mobile phone should work since it's the same network. You can just go in and buy a phone from them and not get service, too. You shouldn't need to get it with a plan and then cancel the plan.

As long as you're attentive that it supports the correct radio bands, you can also buy unlocked phones from non-carrier retailers, since you're planning to pay full price anyway.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I was there to check out the Samsung Galaxy Avant. Key features is that it is the first 700MHz LTE Band 12 Block A cell phone for T-Mo. A friend has a cell tower repair company and told me his crews are converting 3 towers a week in South Florida and adding the new 700MHz bands to T-Mobile.
Band 12 is definitely a nice bonus, but I doubt they'll start shutting down existing 3G and 4G bands for a couple of years. They're still selling a ton of devices without Band 12 support, and if they start cutting service for supported devices there's going to be hell to pay from customers and regulators alike.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The only case in which you would have "faster data" with T-Mobile over MetroPCS is if you were in a congested area. T-Mobile postpaid customers get higher priority than MetroPCS prepaid customers.

Other than that, there are the extra perks like Music Freedom and international roaming.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
zorak950

Well in my case we are on T-Mo mvno via Metro PCS. The phone I am replacing is the last CDMA phone in the family that uses Metro's CDMA towers. They are converting all the Metro towers from CDMA to T-Mo GSM equipment and will shut down the old Metro CDMA by 2015 just like they did in a few cities here. They may add Sprint CDMA for the few people that don't replace their old Metro CDMA phone but Metro is almost giving away free phones to speed up the move. I just don't like any of the Metro phones except for the S5 that is too expensive.

We get good voice on both GSM and CDMA phones but the T-Mo data over GSM phones is pretty weak where I live. It is like swiss cheese in coverages for data with the current towers before the 700MHz upgrade. This new longer distance 700MHz band is a major priority but so far only like three or phones have the new 700MHz band 12 block A radio. (Sansung Avant, Note 4 and some ZTE phone). The Moto X does but not the version of Moto X they are selling now.

droid976

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Metro PCS is a subsidiary of T Mobile! The unlimited Data plan on Metro is $20 less than T Mo....ut uses the same towers, so why would T Mo shoot its self in the foot by offering lessor service?
I bought the new Moto X 2nd Gen came w/ a T Mo sim but I went to Metro PCS and got their sim and activation since the phone was unlocked it took ok......

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Metro PCS is a subsidiary of T Mobile! The unlimited Data plan on Metro is $20 less than T Mo....ut uses the same towers, so why would T Mo shoot its self in the foot by offering lessor service?

The same reason AT&T and Sprint do it with their lower tier month-to-month (generally known as "prepaid") services. To create a "value" plan that gives you less for less money. Or to put it another way, to create a slightly more "premium" tier of service at a higher "full" price. AT&T does it through throttling. It makes sense. T-Mobile is the main brand, Metro is a "value" brand, equivalent to AT&T's Cricket service.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought the new Moto X 2nd Gen came w/ a T Mo sim but I went to Metro PCS and got their sim and activation since the phone was unlocked it took ok......

They're not shooting themselves in the foot... Metro is better money wise sure but with the main T-Mobile brand you get all the extras such as unlimited data and texting when going international, Jump, installment plans for phones, unlimited music streaming, etc.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
They're not shooting themselves in the foot... Metro is better money wise sure but with the main T-Mobile brand you get all the extras such as unlimited data and texting when going international, Jump, installment plans for phones, unlimited music streaming, etc.
You get unlimited data with metro pcs as well. You just get prioritized with t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac