I am a Tmobile prepaid customer ($40 unlimited talk/text/data with 500MB 4G limit) plan. I just sold my old S2 and bought a new Moto G (2014). I am trying to figure out if I can move to Tmobile $30 plan (100min/unlimited talk and text) plan to save $10/month. The phone is running Android 4.4.4 and I have a GV account setup. I don't call much from my phone and even if I do it is usually from home or work and both places have solid wifi. So, my doubts are:

- Is Tmobile HSPA+ good enough for VOIP?
    - If I do use this setup, anyway I can have Tmobile forward the call to my GV number so that I don't use the 100 minutes when I am in a wifi area?

I believe I can live with 100minutes/month if Tmobile network is good for VOIP and if (somehow) I can pickup calls from people (without having to call them up from my GV number after they hang-up on my Tmobile number)

Thanks
    Sunny
    10-10-2014 02:25 PM
    I have been playing around with using hangouts and have a GV number. So far I am hugely impressed with the quality of the call in Hangouts and their VOIP seems fine. I and others have found it takes a while for the connection to be made especially I have found to longer distances.

I started with my GV number being sent to my cell number and it works fine. But their is a problem in that if it goes to your T-Mo cell I believe it still gets counted against your minutes. Now if you have the hangouts app on your cell and set it up so that hangout answers incoming calls to your GV number then that would be a data call and not use your minutes. The problem arises I understand if you have continued to have your GV number also associated to your cell number as you get hangouts as well as your cell answering the call. I am going to try un-connecting my cell number from GV and this should correct the problem.

This should work for you as well.

I have been asking about this on the T-Mo forum here is a link
    https://productforums.google.com/for...ls/12W8C6pEvRM

If you try this out lets share experience
    10-10-2014 06:30 PM
    i actually use both my Google Voice and T-Mobile number so I have a bit of experience here.

GrooveIP no longer works with Google Voice. They now use https://ring.to/ as their provider for phone numbers and call routing. I personally have not tried it since the switch. Google has merged Google Voice and Hangouts, so with the Hangouts dialer app you can now make IP calls directly through the app instead of using a third party app like GrooveIP. The key is to make sure you do not have it setup to forward but instead tell it to ring your Hangouts app.

My experience has been mixed. Overall the quality has been fine, but it's clear that without the optimization for VoIP (such as VoLTE provides) HSPA/LTE are not the greatest for voice calls. It works but I will occasionally need to have people repeat something because they get cutoff due to packet loss. This isn't exclusive to Hangouts, I've had the same issues with Viber, Fring and Skype (and previously with GrooveIP). The other big issue is that there will be many places where you can make a voice call but are not getting any usable data service. Edge is completely useless for VoIP but can still make a solid voice connection, and slower HSPA connections will not work either. And since you'll want to be using Hangouts directly you won't be able to have it forward to your cell number as well, so you likely just won't get calls in that case.

I would say it's a reasonable way to get a cheap phone plan, but you'll definitely see a decrease in overall quality of service. It's just up to you whether it is worth the savings.
    10-15-2014 09:52 AM
    The problem arises I understand if you have continued to have your GV number also associated to your cell number as you get hangouts as well as your cell answering the call. I am going to try un-connecting my cell number from GV and this should correct the problem.
    You don't need to disconnect your cell number, just disable forwarding to your cell number.
    10-15-2014 09:53 AM