Google Music Added to Music Freedom

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
All access or everything?

Mhm.... I can download up to 20,000 songs at 320 kbps (max on google music) at one time which can lead to 6 tbs (300 mb each song, 0.3*20,000 @320 kbps = 120 GBish, doubt that'll ever happen though)

But about time. Google music is the only streaming music source I use.

Does anyone know if it music freedom works if I tether too? I.e. tether to my laptop and use google music or spotify etc.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All access or everything?

Mhm.... I can download up to 20,000 songs at 320 kbps (max on google music) at one time which can lead to 6 tbs (300 mb each song, 0.3*20,000= 6 tb, doubt that'll ever happen though)

But about time. Google music is the only streaming music source I use.

Does anyone know if it music freedom works if I tether too? I.e. tether to my laptop and use google music or spotify etc.

To my knowledge that will still count against your data -- Otherwise someone could tether 5 friends to stream Google off of one T-Mobile account .. So I highly doubt that would work.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
On facebook someone asked and a tmobile rep responded:

Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud.

So I'll take that means only all access :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud.

Probably.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Nah I would think any song you uploaded to Google music. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference if your paying for all access or not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Nah I would think any song you uploaded to Google music. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference if your paying for all access or not

What about music stored on a cloud?

However, if you already have music physically stored on your device, then listening to those songs doesn't count against your data usage.

Music Freedom streaming FAQs | T-Mobile Support

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What about music stored on a cloud?

However, if you already have music physically stored on your device, then listening to those songs doesn't count against your data usage.

Music Freedom streaming FAQs | T-Mobile Support
You can "upload" music to Google play through the manager app. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference between a song you uploaded, bought on Google play or if your using Google play all access. Well in theory anyways but with carrier iq with their phones who knows... Maybe snooping and thus unethical imo

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can "upload" music to Google play through the manager app. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference between a song you uploaded, bought on Google play or if your using Google play all access. Well in theory anyways but with carrier iq with their phones who knows... Maybe snooping and thus unethical imo

maybe that's why it took so long to whitelist it?

waiting for an official response from tmobile or legere

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
maybe that's why it took so long to whitelist it?

waiting for an official response from tmobile or legere
Yeah I'm just assuming it won't since I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference since it is Google play. I can be wrong. If I had a phone I would try it out before I left since I still have a plan and now it's downgraded to the $50 dollar plan with 1gb of data

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They actually could. I am sure on the back end the "All Access" music is hosted on a different server versus the user-uploaded stuff .. That way they don't have it all mixed together.

Therefore they all come through the same apps but on the back end use different ports / URLs which could determine where the music is coming from.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I heavily emphasized the part that matters. To me this implies a private cloud, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.

What we need to know is if T-Mo just looks for certain package names that stream the data, or if they go a little deeper to check things.

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I tested this last night. I streamed about 4 mins of a DJ set I uploaded to GPM, and it used about 36MBs. I had just rebooted the phone and checked my data usage before and after using the USSD code #932#. I am looking for clarification on this as well, but it does seem that Google Play "free" usage is restricted to the All Access subscription service only, at least in my short test.

Judging from the overwhelming praise on T-Mobile's twitter feed and various comments in blog posts about adding GPM to Music Freedom, I think there are going to be a lot of really pissed off users when they hit their data caps streaming from their cloud-stored GPM songs.

Anyone else tested this?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It does not count. I played 3 songs from all access and it did not use no data. Now I can cancel Slacker radio with its dumb live and instrumental tracks.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile always said that Music Freedom wasn't for streaming personal music. I don't know why so many people convinced themselves otherwise, but if they're pissed off, that's their problem.

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
It does not count. I played 3 songs from all access and it did not use no data. Now I can cancel Slacker radio with its dumb live and instrumental tracks.

Yeah, it doesn't use data from All Access (the paid service), but does use data when streaming personally uploaded music stored in Google Play.