Bring your own phone discount

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Why would there be a discount for bringing your own phone?

Sent using my iPhone 6 Plus via the Uncarrier

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Why would there be a discount for bringing your own phone?

Because AT&T (and perhaps Verizon too) has positioned their BYOD/non-subsidy pricing as a discount on service. Under Next pricing, AT&T charges you $15 less if you BYOD.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Because AT&T (and perhaps Verizon too) has positioned their BYOD/non-subsidy pricing as a discount on service. Under Next pricing, AT&T charges you $15 less if you BYOD.

I see, they offer a "discount."

Sent using my iPhone 6 Plus via the Uncarrier

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile does not do contacts anymore. All of their plan prices are basically BYOD.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile and AT&T have drastically different pricing structures, so comparing them is a bit difficult. T-Mobile only charges per line, with a discrete service plan for each line, and device costs stand entirely apart from that. AT&T charges data as a separate service from the per-line cost, and since they still offer contract plans, the contact subsidy premium is expressed in the line cost. Thus, when you bring your own device (or buy one at full price or on an EIP), you receive a line discount.

T-Mobile's "discount" is invisible because it doesn't offer service on contract, so there's no plan without a discount.