Hi guys I have a galaxy s5 still financed with T-Mobile if I buy a sim unlock code will it still work even if still financed? Please i need an answer.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-28-2014 11:10 PM
    It may. We cannot answer with 100% certainty.
    12-29-2014 10:02 AM
    Thank you

12-29-2014 01:36 PM
    Yes it will work, but if the phone is not paid off and working on a different carrier, t-mobile will blacklist it and yes it will not work even if u unlock and go to another carrier
    ...I hope you're not suggesting that simply unlocking the phone and using it on another carrier (while continuing to make payments) would get it blacklisted?
    01-02-2015 11:52 AM
    ...I hope you're not suggesting that simply unlocking the phone and using it on another carrier (while continuing to make payments) would get it blacklisted?
    All depends on how the carrier wants to handle it. As long as it's still being financed and under contract there could be stipulations that come into play even if your still making payments as agreed.
    01-02-2015 11:55 AM
    The legal way to get your device unlocked is to have T-Mobile unlock it. They can tell you the exact conditions on how it will work and following their directions will be the best protection against adopting an expensive brick. Any other method does put you at risk, which varies on your account circumstances.
    Paul627g likes this.
    01-02-2015 12:02 PM
    All depends on how the carrier wants to handle it. As long as it's still being financed and under contract there could be stipulations that come into play even if your still making payments as agreed.
    But are there such stipulations in place at TMO? I don't think so. I think all they care about is the device getting paid off (and not being stolen, etc.)

The legal way to get your device unlocked is to have T-Mobile unlock it. They can tell you the exact conditions on how it will work and following their directions will be the best protection against adopting an expensive brick. Any other method does put you at risk, which varies on your account circumstances.
    That's not the only legal way anymore to get a phone unlocked, although I would agree that it's the safest way (to guard against carrier retribution.)

As of today, Americans can legally unlock their phones again | The Verge
    01-02-2015 12:50 PM
    But are there such stipulations in place at TMO? I don't think so. I think all they care about is the device getting paid off (and not being stolen, etc.)

That's not the only legal way anymore to get a phone unlocked, although I would agree that it's the safest way (to guard against carrier retribution.)

As of today, Americans can legally unlock their phones again | The Verge
    To me personally its not a risk worth taking. Finish the contract /obligations and then get it properly unlocked and do as you please from there.
    01-02-2015 01:03 PM
    Here is the policy.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
    01-02-2015 03:34 PM
    Right. This was a discussion of what they would do if you get the phone unlocked before it has been paid off, and start using it on a different carrier. I think they won't blacklist it, because there's no way for them to tell if the phone's being used on, say AT&T. Unlike CDMA, service is tied to the SIM card, and not the device.
    01-02-2015 07:22 PM
    Right. This was a discussion of what they would do if you get the phone unlocked before it has been paid off, and start using it on a different carrier. I think they won't blacklist it, because there's no way for them to tell if the phone's being used on, say AT&T. Unlike CDMA, service is tied to the SIM card, and not the device.
    You are right. They won't blacklist it unless the user stops paying for the phone. They have no way to know if the phone is being used on another carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier
    raino likes this.
    01-02-2015 08:48 PM
    Yes they do....it's called the IMEI number. They can black list it and they will
    On account of what? Do they blacklist older phones when you transfer SIM cards to newer phones? Do they blacklist your phone if you unlock it, go overseas and pop in a local SIM?

BTW, boogas is a TMO employee.
    01-03-2015 01:49 AM
    So should I just save up to pay it off? Or would it be okay to buy an unlock code?

01-03-2015 06:03 AM
    Yes they do....it's called the IMEI number. They can black list it and they will

They won't. As long as the phone payment continues or is paid off they won't blacklist anything.
    raino and boogas8 like this.
    01-03-2015 01:30 PM
    What I'm saying is, if the phone payments are stopped or the phone never gets completely paid off, they will blacklist the phone. I know someone that happen too. He bought a note 4 for att , got in on a midnight auction for 249 bucks, then had the phone for 3 weeks, the next day , his phone won't work. He calls att and they tell him the phone payments were stopped. He had this mote 4 on his t-mobile account. So yes they can and WILL black list it if NOT completely paid for

We've all understand that and have made that clear that the user must continue to pay. I don't know why you kept arguing it.
    raino likes this.
    01-04-2015 05:56 PM
    So should I just save up to pay it off? Or would it be okay to buy an unlock code?
    If I were in your position, I'd get the phone unlocked but also make sure that I kept making my payments, because if I don't, the phone will not work on any other US carrier. Plus, they would sic Collections on me, and rightfully so. And finally, it just wouldn't be the right thing to bail on the payments.
    01-05-2015 12:42 AM