Cellmapper is a Good App to Map your T-Mobile Towers in your area.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I love this Cellmapper App that I have used to map T-Mobiles towers in my area. Tower info goes on a Google Map that people all over the country add to. There was no data in my area before I started mapping it. It is a great way to see if you have the new T-Mobile 700Mhz towers in your area. I found 700Mhz towers in my area so now I know that I need to replace my Nexus 5 that doesn't support TMO's 700Mhz Band 12 Block A spectrum.

After you added data from all sides it can even show you which tower covers your home and where you drive. It is simple to use. Just download it to your Android, Blackberry or Windows phone. Note: Apple doesn't allow Cellmapper as a App to access this type of signal data it needs.

To start contributing tower data, simply go into the Settings screen and enable "Live Upload." Then Re-Boot your phone and then open the Cellmapper App that will run in the background. Once this is enabled, simple press the home button and CellMapper will run in the background and send data as you move. You can always close CellMapper by using the menu and selecting exit on the main screen. It is pretty pointless to turn on Cellmapper when you aren't driving in your car so turn it off at home to since it but it does seem to keep Wake Lock on burning your battery. It even runs when you screen is off and doesn't transmit a lot of data to crush your data plan. The hardest part is remembering to turn on and turn off Cellmapper when you are driving and stop.

You can see your map on your phone but you get a lot more data information going to cellmappers on-line map and putting in your country and 260 for T-Mobile USA as the service provider. With the PC I can click on the tower and the a pop up on the left of the screen shows the multiple cells in that tower. Seems that each TMO tower will have two, three or even four separate cell transmitters in each tower since they are directional.

Check out what it looks like here in South Florida where I have been mapping T-Moble's network. T-Mobile USA (United States of America) - Coverage and Tower Map

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like sensorly.com to me.

Thanks never heard of Sensorly before. Downloaded it ran three tests. Maybe since I was in my front yard I didn't get enough data points from different angles to find a cell tower near me. When on the PC to sensorly.com and no matter what city I typed in like Atlanta, Miami, Fort Lauderdale...etc it only showed me one cell tower for that city. It showed zero info about that cell tower in regards to what Spectrum Band or Band # it was transmitting over. Other than signal strength in shades of color over the map it looks a lot like the maps on OpenSignal and RootMetrics maps.

Cellmapper from my link above shows thousands of Towers location across the nation, Direction, Signal strength received in DbM, Physical Cell Id, first and last time someone uploaded data on that tower and Tower signal reception patterns. It is very interesting to me how these towers are configured for service in my area since just being close to a tower does nothing unless it is pointed in your direction area. At least on a PC I can go to the map on Cellmapper.com and click on a tower to see if I have 700Mhz in my area.

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I installed that and ran it for an hour, thought my phone was going to explode. Don't think I've ever felt my phone get so hot...

BlueAlchemy17

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of Cellmapper, will have to check it out. But I use Open Signal. It also has a mapping function, and speed testing, and comparison maps.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of Cellmapper, will have to check it out. But I use Open Signal. It also has a mapping function, and speed testing, and comparison maps.

I use Open Signal but it is much different than Cellmapper. Cellmapper when your are driving around collects data on towers (location, band, cell area) from your phone then estimates where that tower is located. Then those tower shows up on their map with the Band x spectrum it is transmitting over. If you drive on both sides of the tower even weeks latter it will correct the exact location of that tower plus show the pattern that cell unit is covering. Towers have anywhere from two to five cell units pointed in different map directions for coverage.

I turn Cellmapper off when I not driving a new section of road and I had no issues with my phone getting hot. Next week I am driving up to Orlando and will map T-Mobile towers up and back on different routes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar