Uncarrier 9.0... What do you think?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Did they just announce that they're going to hike the unlimited data price in 2 years? Lol
I don't know.... They definitely left the door open for change to unlimited data in 2 years. Honestly, I feel we may not see unlimited data with any company in a few years. Primarily because the numbers of places and people with WiFi continues to grow.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I feel we may not see unlimited data with any company in a few years. Primarily because the numbers of places and people with WiFi continues to grow.

If that happens, TMO is going to lose a key differentiator, especially if they don't pick up tons of spectrum, build towers, etc. The whole industry might suffer, but The Big Two are still going to be more insulated and are going to frame the argument as "for moments when you need consistency of coverage."

oscari

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually thinking on leaving Big Red and bring my five lines to T-Mobile after this announcement.

If I were you first do a test drive and go to areas where you would use the phones to see if whether tmo works for you or not.

Posted from the bando

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know.... They definitely left the door open for change to unlimited data in 2 years. Honestly, I feel we may not see unlimited data with any company in a few years. Primarily because the numbers of places and people with WiFi continues to grow.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

This is how I feel. Unlimited will go away one of these days .. but for now that is their hook versus the big 2.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So is it two years from activation or two years from today that unlimited data's price may go up? Typical TMO. "Let's put something vague out there, see how everyone reacts and adjust accordingly."

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
"Your price will stay the same and never go up...

Unless you're on our most expensive plan! Then we can up it as much as we want"

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think its great. I'm a very satisfied TMO customer. They basically just told me I can have more data for free for longer. That works for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So is it two years from activation or two years from today that unlimited data's price may go up? Typical TMO. "Let's put something vague out there, see how everyone reacts and adjust accordingly."

It wasn't that vague if you watched it. Starting yesterday .. 2 years unlimited won't go up or change .. after that it may change (or even go away possibly). They "signed a contract" with us .. so it is just as if we signed a contract .. starts the day of till 2 years.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually .. it may be from your activation .. Which is not how he said it at all. Okay now they're confusing me ^_^ lol.

What is your take on the verbiage below?

Attachments

• guarantee.png
    guarantee.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 27

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't that vague if you watched it. Starting yesterday .. 2 years unlimited won't go up or change .. after that it may change (or even go away possibly). They "signed a contract" with us .. so it is just as if we signed a contract .. starts the day of till 2 years.

Thanks. I did not watch, I read their newsroom release about it and that doesn't specify a start date on the two years.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually .. it may be from your activation .. Which is not how he said it at all. Okay now they're confusing me ^_^ lol.

What is your take on the verbiage below?

Lol. That certainly leaves the door open to do something as soon as the first unlimited customers' two years is up. Will they do it? Probably not, the press will be really bad, whoever spoke yesterday their words would contradict this statement (unless he was very careful,) etc etc. And if they don't do it, nobody's going to say "hey you didn't stick to your own terms" either, as the status quo goes in favor of the customer.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol. That certainly leaves the door open to do something as soon as the first unlimited customers' two years is up. Will they do it? Probably not, the press will be really bad, whoever spoke yesterday their words would contradict this statement (unless he was very careful,) etc etc. And if they don't do it, nobody's going to say "hey you didn't stick to your own terms" either, as the status quo goes in favor of the customer.

Yeah I agree it does leave the door open for sure. Very odd.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Well that is a lot better than Sprint, AT&T and Verizon that could raise the price of their unlimited data tomorrow. Fact is John didn't say he was going to raise unlimited data in two year just that he was committed to honor that unlimited price for at least two year. John did committed to honor all the other T-Mobile prices and discounts other than Unlimited forever. That is more than those other three Carriers will do. John Legere just started another price war and kicked AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in the pockets that is going to force them to lower their prices to compete with T-Mobile.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
AT&T still allows its unlimited customers to upgrade with a subsidy.

Verizon still allows its unlimited customers to keep unlimited data if they buy their phones at full price (which is like TMO, except upfront all at once on VZW.)

Customer loyalty drives/measures are nothing new in the industry.

BTW, amongst the Big Four, TMO no longer has the lowest price on unlimited data. Sprint does: ​Sprint attacks T-Mobile with $60 unlimited data plan - CNET

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
What I wanna know is why are u guys so sure unlimited is going anywhere? Either it be a major carrier or regional I think unlimited isn't going anywhere especially since Google is coming to the cellular business.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Well that is a lot better than Sprint, AT&T and Verizon that could raise the price of their unlimited data tomorrow.
Could? Sure. Nixon is dead.

But would? AT&T's been upping the data and lowering the price for more than a year now. First I get more data for the same price. Then I get a lower price for the same data. Then I get more data for the same price. Then I get half the data for a lot less price (but still more data than I started with or ever use). I've got 3 phones and more data than I paid for 2 phones 17 months ago. Every time TMO comes up with something better, AT&T comes up with something better. Every time Sprint comes up with something better, AT&T comes up with something better. Do I need unlimited data? I never come close to using what I have, so no. Wifi is free, it's ubiquitous (all over the place here) and fast. For the few places there's no wifi, I get an email or two. I'll even do a speed test every so often, update an app, etc. But I'm retired and using a huge amount of data would be too much like work. (I could turn Wifi off and use mobile data just for the heck of it, but why?)