04-13-2015 12:06 AM
27 12
tools
    Hi,

I'm trying to get the S6 after a week it comes out after everyone/thing is calm. However, I never done this before. So before hand I'd like to know if it's possible to buy them outright with no plan.
    04-04-2015 11:08 PM
    Yes, you can buy phones from T-Mobile without a plan. They do charge you more for not being a customer. Usually its anywhere from $50-$150 more.

Sent using my HTC One M9 via the Uncarrier
    AndyVeeee likes this.
    04-04-2015 11:20 PM
    Yes, I did this with my note 3. You do pay more if you do this, mainly due to sales tax, which doesn't apply if you buy in installments.
    AndyVeeee likes this.
    04-05-2015 04:47 AM
    Ahhhhh! Thank you!

I learned the sales tax would be 7-9% so 45.50-58$, actually.
    04-05-2015 07:46 AM
    Yes, I did this with my note 3. You do pay more if you do this, mainly due to sales tax, which doesn't apply if you buy in installments.
    Actually that is incorrect. Everyone pays the sales tax. Those who choose to pay monthly pay the sales tax up front. For most phones there are 2 different prices. One for customers and one for non-customers.

04-05-2015 08:43 AM
    Right... Well thanks anyways :P
    04-05-2015 10:08 AM
    Yes, you can buy phones from T-Mobile without a plan. They do charge you more for not being a customer. Usually its anywhere from $50-$150 more.
    Wait...you're saying non-customers' price for phones is $50-150 more than the full retail price that's listed on TMO's website?

And what's the best channel for a non-customer to buy a phone?
    04-05-2015 08:11 PM
    Wait...you're saying non-customers' price for phones is $50-150 more than the full retail price that's listed on TMO's website?

And what's the best channel for a non-customer to buy a phone?
    Usually the price of phones for non-customers is higher, with the exception of iPhones. It doesn't matter which channel you use, if you're not a customer they will find out when you attempt to purchase the device. Best way to get the lower price is to be a customer.

04-05-2015 08:15 PM
    Usually the price of phones for non-customers is higher, with the exception of iPhones.
    Huh. I didn't know that TMO even sold phones to non-customers, much less at a higher price. I imagine there's no publicly accessible documentation on this?

It doesn't matter which channel you use, if you're not a customer they will find out when you attempt to purchase the device.
    Right, but what's the most hassle-free way to do it? Can one do it online? I imagine stores wouldn't want to do this as they wouldn't be earning any commission...
    04-05-2015 08:22 PM
    Huh. I didn't know that TMO even sold phones to non-customers, much less at a higher price. I imagine there's no publicly accessible documentation on this?

Right, but what's the most hassle-free way to do it? Can one do it online? I imagine stores wouldn't want to do this as they wouldn't be earning any commission...
    If you go into store can look at the phone tags. The best way would be to purchase in store.

raino likes this.
    04-05-2015 08:28 PM
    Just checked tmobile and att website. Tmobile is selling the S6 for $680 and att for $685. Same price so tmobile does not charge non customers more. That said tmobile will not unlock it for you on day one but att will.
    04-05-2015 08:33 PM
    That said tmobile will not unlock it for you on day one but att will.
    This sounds like a grey area (which is why I'm not surprised to see at least one carrier exploit it.) As per the February 11 rules, there are clear requirements and courses of action for prepaid and postpaid customers. But if you're buying the phone from TMO and no service plan, what are you?

AT&T is YMMV too. The BlackBerry Passport launched recently (post-February 11,) and full-retail paying customers were being told to wait 90 days to get the code, which is an obvious violation. I think it can be chalked up to not knowing the new rules, though.
    04-05-2015 08:57 PM
    This sounds like a grey area (which is why I'm not surprised to see at least one carrier exploit it.) As per the February 11 rules, there are clear requirements and courses of action for prepaid and postpaid customers. But if you're buying the phone from TMO and no service plan, what are you?

AT&T is YMMV too. The BlackBerry Passport launched recently (post-February 11,) and full-retail paying customers were being told to wait 90 days to get the code, which is an obvious violation. I think it can be chalked up to not knowing the new rules, though.
    Att has a 60 day requirement on the account and not device. Tmobile has a 60 day waiting period on the device no matter how old your account is. You do not have to be an att customer to get a device unlocked.
    04-05-2015 09:00 PM
    Att has a 60 day requirement on the account and not device. Tmobile has a 60 day waiting period on the device no matter how old your account is.
    For fully paid off devices, both--especially TMO's requirement--sound like a violation of the CTIA postpaid device unlocking requirements, which say:

Post-paid devices will qualify for unlocking as soon as the device is paid off or the service contract ends
    If you're a non-customer buying just a phone, obviously TMO is not going to EIP it for you. But which category of unlocking rules do you fall under--the more customer-friendly postpaid, or carrier-friendly prepaid? I'm guessing it's the latter, unfortunately.
    04-05-2015 09:22 PM
    For fully paid off devices, both--especially TMO's requirement--sound like a violation of the CTIA postpaid device unlocking requirements, which say:

If you're a non-customer buying just a phone, obviously TMO is not going to EIP it for you. But which category of unlocking rules do you fall under--the more customer-friendly postpaid, or carrier-friendly prepaid? I'm guessing it's the latter, unfortunately.
    Tmobiles rules are ridiculous and could lead to a lawsuit. A fully paid phone should be unlocked ASAP. End of
    raino likes this.
    04-05-2015 09:25 PM
    Tmobiles rules are ridiculous and could lead to a lawsuit. A fully paid phone should be unlocked ASAP.
    I fully agree, but here's the problem: these are an industry trade group's guidelines, not a law or even the FCC's requirements.
    04-05-2015 09:29 PM
    Actually that is incorrect. Everyone pays the sales tax. Those who choose to pay monthly pay the sales tax up front. For most phones there are 2 different prices. One for customers and one for non-customers.

This is correct. There is no getting around paying the sales tax.

You can pay for the phone outright upon checkout on the T-Mobile site.

I bought three phones but did the zero down on checkout and then paid for them before I was billed for the phones on the first bill. Two months after paying in full, all phones show that they can be unlocked.
    04-06-2015 02:19 AM
    It does cost more if you just buy it, you can "buy it" with a prepaid plan and save a few bucks though.
    04-06-2015 07:20 AM
    That said tmobile will not unlock it for you on day one but att will.
    I have had a different experience with this. I bought my Note 4 (pre-order) online .. and paid it off in full 1 month later. I called and they sent me an unlock code within a few hours.
    04-06-2015 01:00 PM
    I have had a different experience with this. I bought my Note 4 (pre-order) online .. and paid it off in full 1 month later. I called and they sent me an unlock code within a few hours.
    As per tmobile official policy

"The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line."

So even If one buys a phone at full price today one has to have the phone active for at least 40 days.
    04-06-2015 01:06 PM
    You aren't really contradicting him. He said 'day one.'
    04-06-2015 01:08 PM
    Was this recently or long time ago? They now have 45 days of service rule.
    04-06-2015 01:37 PM
    As per tmobile official policy

"The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line."

So even If one buys a phone at full price today one has to have the phone active for at least 40 days.
    I had it less than 40 days. It varies by rep -- some will do stuff not exactly to the letter .. some will. Definitely not new in the carrier scene.
    04-06-2015 02:02 PM
    You aren't really contradicting him. He said 'day one.'
    Well he would have to elaborate .. day one of service .. or day one of the device?
    04-06-2015 02:02 PM
    I called today 4/7/15. This is the rules on my note 4 not paid. 4 to 5 days for the unlocked code by email. only good for 30days and they will lock it again. Unless I paid off everything $560 no 30days policy.

Note 4 strong Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2015 12:22 AM
27 12