why do people say tmobile is cheaper?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of talk (and advertising) about how tmobile is a better choice than AT&T or Verizon. Coverage and locked bootloaders aside, I don't see how the math adds up to save someone with 2 lines money?

We have 10gb on verizon, 2 lines, with 2 edge payments. Thats $80+15+15+25+25 = $160. No crazy grandfathered plan, just an off the shelf regular plan. I also get a discount on the data, which brings the total to $144 + taxes

On tmobile 2 lines (each with 3gb) is $100 + 2 phone payments ($25 each) or $150 + taxes and fees.

I could easily get my pre-discount verizon price to below $150 if I cut back to 6gb.

I have 0 carrier loyalty. I'd switch tonight if I would save a reasonable amount of money (although I have tried cricket and straight talk on AT&T's network and got a ton of dropped calls). Am I really bad at math, or is verizon actually cheaper for a family that doesnt need more than 10gb of data per month?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm TMo's 2 line plan for 100 bucks is unlimited 4G. And free international data roaming and texting. And free In-flight texting.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Try this plan out:
LIMITED TIME! 2 lines of UNLIMITED 4G LTE data on our network for just $100/mo. Additional lines $40/mo. per line. NOTE: UNLIMITED 4G LTE data must be added to all lines on your plan.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html#tab-navigation

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got Tmobile 2 lines for $100 unlimited talk text and data. Not sure where you saw 3 GB limit

Also T-Mobile has 4 lines 10gb of data for all lines total for $100.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got Tmobile 2 lines for $100 unlimited talk text and data. Not sure where you saw 3 GB limit

Also T-Mobile has 4 lines 10gb of data for all lines total for $100.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Agree, don't know where the OP got his T-Mobile pricing. I just talked a friend into moving plus his wife from Verizon to T-Mobile with the 2 lines for $100 unlimited talk text and data. First thing he said the HD voice calls on T-Mobile is just so much better than the $160 a month Verizon plan he was on. T-Mobile even paid off both their phones with Verizon when they moved.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So if you are bringing a phone you already own to T-Mobile I can see how it would be cheaper. The edge discount verizon gives makes the phone "free" while you'd have to tack on 2 phone payments to that $100 T-Mobile plan if you buy phones from them.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Agree, don't know where the OP got his T-Mobile pricing. I just talked a friend into moving plus his wife from Verizon to T-Mobile with the 2 lines for $100 unlimited talk text and data. First thing he said the HD voice calls on T-Mobile is just so much better than the $160 a month Verizon plan he was on. T-Mobile even paid off both their phones with Verizon when they moved.
The only way they paid off his verizon plan is if he bought 2 phones from T-Mobile, hence that $100 plan is actually $150 assuming 2 $25 phone payments. On Verizon the 160 includes the same 2 phone payments. So he saves $10/m?

And the price is on tmobile.com. I see they are running a promotion now for unlimited vs 3gb. But its right their on their website in black and white.

But my question still stands. 2 lines and you dont need unlimited data, verizon is either $10 more expensive or with a widely available corporate discount is less expensive than tmobile, assuming you are buying a phone from the carrier.

View attachment 175482

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The only way they paid off his verizon plan is if he bought 2 phones from T-Mobile, hence that $100 plan is actually $150 assuming 2 $25 phone payments. On Verizon the 160 includes the same 2 phone payments. So he saves $10/m?

They did buy two new phones since both of them dropped their phones and her glass face was spider-ed but it still worked. His Verizon Droid X was dropped at their wedding and it was a brick. They walked into Verizon which gave them a hard time so he called me and I told him a T-Mobile store was across the street. They went into T-Mobile and he loved the way he was treated and he walked out with a Note 4 and she got a Samsung Avant. When they went back to Verizon they put him in touch with the retention dept at Verizon that suddenly found a better deal he wasn't offered the first time but it was still more expensive than T-Mobile and would require a new two year contract. They are now both on T-Mobile and love the money they are saving with two unlimited phones for $100 a month total. BTW, in addition to my wedding gift I bought them both a case since they are tough on phones.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
for $100 a month total
they gave him the phones for free?

If we aren't including phone payments my verizon bill is currently $94 for 10gb. $64+15+15.

Again...unless you're using more than 10gb a month or bringing a device you already own where are the savings?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mainly data users call it cheaper. Example below.

I am currently at 95+ GB of usage on just my line .. If I did that on Verizon my phone bill would be a mortgage payment ^_^.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

If we aren't including phone payments my verizon bill is currently $94 for 10gb. $64+15+15.

Again...unless you're using more than 10gb a month or bringing a device you already own where are the savings?

No the phones weren't free. Verzion was going to charge them for two new phones since his was dead and hers screen was busted. Now he doesn't have a 2 year service contract with T-Mobile and was able to get out of the last 1.2 years of his Verizon contract for free. Sure they have to pay off their new phones but it was a better deal than what Verizon offered them both times they were in the store. He was with Verizon for 8 years.

Verizon doesn't even offer Bring Your Own Phone plan unless that phone was originally purchased from Verizon. I will never buy a Carrier phone and any phone I buy will be unlocked so I can fire my carrier when they don't provide the service I want. Besides it is always cheaper to buy a unlocked phone on your Visa card than paying it through the carrier over 24 months. My Visa card gives me cash back.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Wait ... $64 for the 10 GB .. so you're comparing a discount?

That isn't a fair comparison. You're asking why do people say it is cheaper but .. you're comparing to a discount you have on Verizon. Not everyone can have the discount you have.

If you have a good discount and don't need tons of data then yes T-Mobile may not be the cheapest. Or if you're on an old legacy plan on Verizon it could be cheaper than current T-Mobile ones.

Comparing has to be Apples to Apples -- Not full price service vs. discounted service through an employer that everyone doesn't have... unless of course if you're comparing your specific situation.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Comparing has to be Apples to Apples -- Not full price service vs. discounted service through an employer that everyone doesn't have.
80+15+15 = $110 is the undiscounted price for verizon. Which if you're not a heavy data user could easily be brought down to $100/m for 8gb I believe, matching tmobile.

I think Almeuit answered my question. If you're a heavy data user tmobile is cheaper. I guess my math is right that tmobile, verizon, at&t are all the same price if unlimited data doesnt matter to you.

I think the marketing has been effective though. Lots of insisting in this thread that tmobile is $100! $100 only! Just $100! While AT&T and Verizon are actually the same price (minus the unlimited data), but list their pricing differently by 'discounting' when you add a phone payment.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Almeuit answered my question. If you're a heavy data user tmobile is cheaper. I guess my math is right that tmobile, verizon, at&t are all the same price if unlimited data doesnt matter to you.

Exactly. It really is people who use more data where it becomes a lot cheaper .. If you use a moderate amount though Verizon is better (in my opinion). You get that coverage + reliability for not much more. The day I don't use a ton (or get wifi where I do use a ton) I could easily see myself on a family plan (4 lines / 10 GB shared). The price difference won't be much to T-Mobile and we will have that coverage.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Well great and unless you're using more than 2GB a month my MetroPCS is only $35 a month for LTE 4G data before the unlimited 3G data. So with T-Mobiles/Metro PCS I pay only $35 a month and that includes all taxes. Granded I have a $5 discount from a family plan but It sure beats your over priced Verizon service at $94 plus tax a month even with your discount. Fact is my wife and I only pay $70 a month for 2GB data at LTE speeds each including taxes and your deal still isn't close $$$ wize for just your one phone.

Again Verizon's "Bringing a device you already own plan" REQUIRES you to have a phone that was originally purchased from Verizon. Verizon won't accept phones that came from Sprint, T-Mobile, USCC or AT&T on their Bring your own phone plan.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well great and unless you're using more than 2GB a month my MetroPCS is only $35 a month for 4G data before the unlimited 3G data. So with T-Mobiles/Metro PCS I pay only $35 a month and that includes all taxes. Granded I have a $5 discount from a family plan but It sure beats your over priced Verizon service at $94 plus tax a month.

To be fair it works better than his Verizon service .. for your area. His area could have way worse coverage for T-Mobile / Metro.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
To be fair it works better than his Verizon service .. for your area. His area could have way worse coverage for T-Mobile / Metro.

I never tried metro, but straight talk and cricket dropped a bunch of work calls in the week i tried each of them!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never tried metro, but straight talk and cricket dropped a bunch of work calls in the week i tried each of them!

Metro basically runs on T-Mobile so .. if you tried T-Mobile it would most likely yield the same results. Cricket runs on AT&Ts network.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I've heard the Verizon vs T-Mobile price debate for years. Any way you figure it, all things equal (no special stuff like employer discounts) T-Mobile always has been cheaper and probably always will be. Oh, once in a blue moon Verizon may come up with a deal that matches or beats T-Mobile be a few dollars but that's really rare and T-Mobile always counters quickly with a better deal. In almost 18 years with T-Mobile I've saved a lotta money.

Plus, T-Mobile has always been smarter about technology. GSM vs CDMA was an easy choice. Verizon went LTE first, but T-Mobile waited for the technology to mature and built a more advanced, faster network.

Plus, T-Mobile is BYOD-friendly. They've had HD calling for about a year already. Some phones have WiFi calling.

Verizon fans always yak about coverage, coverage, coverage and there's certainly something to it. But if you have good coverage with T-Mobile in your area I don't know why anyone would put up with Verizon.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante