I travel around a bit, and T-mobile looks to get much better signal than my current provider.

I'll be getting a nexus 7 soon, so just need a phone for the odd call (I don't talk often, but I need the option for emergencies... Otherwise I'd go data and VoIP) and to act as a WiFi Hotspot.

I plan on rarely using the phone, other than as a hotspot. I've used an optimus V, rooted and running kitkat for the last few years so even the bottom of the barrel will be an upgrade.

My biggest priorities, as you'd expect, are a good radio setup (good signal, roaming, dual-band), decent battery life and removable battery. Durability is a plus. I'm a klutz, and have dropped my OpV hundreds upon hundreds of times. It's still ticking along, but Virgin Mobile's 3G and small coverage area is just holding me back.

Other than battery life and radios, it would be nice to have a IR 'blaster' and SD card slot.

I have no qualms buying a used phone off Ebay, but I have less than $100 to spend. I'd prefer $60-80, since I'll barely be using it.

I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Avant, the LG Optimus F3/F3Q, the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro (It's an AT&T phone, but appears all the proper bands are there: 2G-GSM 850/900/1800/1900 3G-HSDPA 850/1900/2100 4G-LTE band 4(1700/2100), 17(700) ) and several others... I can't seem to make up my mind.
    Which would you prefer?

All I ever use my phone/tablet for is browsing, email, taking notes, editing documents, and gaming (time wasters, like Clash. Nothing 3D).
    06-07-2015 04:17 PM
    I travel around a bit, and T-mobile looks to get much better signal than my current provider.

I'll be getting a nexus 7 soon, so just need a phone for the odd call (I don't talk often, but I need the option for emergencies... Otherwise I'd go data and VoIP) and to act as a WiFi Hotspot.

I plan on rarely using the phone, other than as a hotspot. I've used an optimus V, rooted and running kitkat for the last few years so even the bottom of the barrel will be an upgrade.

My biggest priorities, as you'd expect, are a good radio setup (good signal, roaming, dual-band), decent battery life and removable battery. Durability is a plus. I'm a klutz, and have dropped my OpV hundreds upon hundreds of times. It's still ticking along, but Virgin Mobile's 3G and small coverage area is just holding me back.

Other than battery life and radios, it would be nice to have a IR 'blaster' and SD card slot.

I have no qualms buying a used phone off Ebay, but I have less than $100 to spend. I'd prefer $60-80, since I'll barely be using it.

I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Avant, the LG Optimus F3/F3Q, the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro (It's an AT&T phone, but appears all the proper bands are there: 2G-GSM 850/900/1800/1900 3G-HSDPA 850/1900/2100 4G-LTE band 4(1700/2100), 17(700) ) and several others... I can't seem to make up my mind.
    Which would you prefer?

All I ever use my phone/tablet for is browsing, email, taking notes, editing documents, and gaming (time wasters, like Clash. Nothing 3D).
    Welcome to Android Central!

Give the Moto E a look and see if that fits what you need. You can also check out the BLU phones on Amazon, they are pretty budget friendly and have some pretty nice options.

Amazon.com: BLU
    06-11-2015 08:02 AM
    If you want to go cheap, the galaxy avant is a descent budget phone. I have one and it's band 12 capable.
    06-12-2015 08:51 PM
    STAY AWAY from the BLU phones. They are junk

Posted via the "None-Ya" app
    07-01-2015 08:15 PM
    I actually went with the optimus f6. Carbon kitkat is smooth as butter.
    07-04-2015 02:09 PM