I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I crazy to be thinking about switching from VZW toT-Mobile?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an ***** or thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile?

I do understand but here no company offers true unlimited data basically they cut ur speed to a crawl making it useless after max 10gb... I just find it crazy that the provider does not go after him for using his phone as a hot spot.
True tho most stuff I do is on WiFi but even than I never get close to 1T of use I'm lucky to even hit 150gb lol

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

The Verizon Unlimited plan is Unlimited as is AT&Ts after being sued 100 million for throttling. And if you use 150gb a month on wifi I'm sure you can imagine how he can use more. It's probably his only source of entertainment.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an ***** or thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile?

The Verizon Unlimited plan is Unlimited as is AT&Ts after being sued 100 million for throttling. And if you use 150gb a month on wifi I'm sure you can imagine how he can use more. It's probably his only source of entertainment.
I can see that... But that is a lot of data use like lots lol
I would do same if it was possible here use one for all but unfortunately the providers know better and keep an eye plus don't offer anything that can be abused.
Welcome to Canada and over paid plans and data limits

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an id**t for thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile

Verizon has the unlimited unthrottled, no network optimization 4GLTE hotspot addon for the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan.

TMobile doesn't officially support unlimited hotspot, though depending on the device and variant, it could work. But keep in mind that it would be a cat and mouse game. And obviously the hotspot is subject to the same network optimization /de prioritization as discussed above,which Verizon's isn't. But of course Verizon is more expensive. Still, factoring in over 1tb on average, imo I would rather just stick with Verizon.

Agreed. Between it being truly 100% unlimited, the coverage is much better. Keep the Verizon plan OP! If you leave it you'll never get it back

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can see that... But that is a lot of data use like lots lol
I would do same if it was possible here use one for all but unfortunately the providers know better and keep an eye plus don't offer anything that can be abused.
Welcome to Canada and over paid plans and data limits

Canada is definitely different. In America the unlimited plans are actually unlimited (for Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile) -- there isn't a 10 GB max limit or anything like that.

So you're paying for phone data and home wifi data. His phone becomes the home wifi saving him the extra bill. How much data do you think you use on wifi?

I pay for unlimited on my phone and have Comcast at home. I would rather have a wired connection due to what I do at home.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Att unlimited data no longer has the 5gb hard cap for throttling but they do practice network optimization, meaning unlimited data users using over 3/5gb can be de prioritized when a tower is under heavy load. In contrast, Verizon unlimited data has no such de prioritization.

"As a result of our network management process, customers on a 3G/4G or 4G LTE smartphone with an unlimited data plan who have exceeded 3GB (3G/4G) or 5GB (4G LTE) of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion. All such customers can still use unlimited data without incurring overage charges, and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle."
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p%3Fsource%3Dizduel1160000000u&token=_DSBL8LZ

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Att unlimited data no longer has the 5gb hard cap for throttling but they do practice network optimization, meaning unlimited data users using over 3/5gb can be de prioritized when a tower is under heavy load. In contrast, Verizon unlimited data has no such de prioritization.

"As a result of our network management process, customers on a 3G/4G or 4G LTE smartphone with an unlimited data plan who have exceeded 3GB (3G/4G) or 5GB (4G LTE) of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion. All such customers can still use unlimited data without incurring overage charges, and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle."
Data Usage Information & FAQs from AT&T

That's the main reason why Unlimited Data on Verizon is superior to other carrier's, provided cost is the same.

If you are saving a lot of money, feel free to try TMO, but Unlimited Data on Verizon is better than on other carriers....probably why VZW pushes harder than AT&T to get people off.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

If WiFi isn't an option then id stick with Verizon and not fool with what's already proven to work for you. Once the UL plan is gone, its gone for good. I had a UL plan on Verizon which I used pretty heavily until I was able to get home WiFi. Now I haven't needed it for the past couple of years and use less than 2GB/month of data on my phone. I'm thinking of going prepaid, no contract and cut my bill in half.
Furthermore T-Mobile is crap outside of towns and cities. Ever travel? Verizon rules the rural areas. Just something else to consider.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
(I originally asked this question in the VZW forum, but then it just
occurred to me that the more appropriate forum to ask is right
here in the T-Mobile forum) :)

I used 1,150GB per month on average. (on VZW unlimited data plan)
That's one thousand one hundred fifty GB per month.

Am I a total [language removed] for thinking about swtiching to T-Mobile?

I never even considered this until this month. T-Mobile had been
stuck on 2G EDGE service in my city like forever. Until they
finally went straight to 4G during the first month of July. I tried
my friend's T-Mobile phone and it got more than 20mbps inside
my home.(almost 15mpbs inside my office building)

Please be as brutal as possible in your replies. I want to hear
the truth.
With T-mobile in Hawaii I Ave way over 100MB download in my home. And I once tried to go over the 1 terabyte line which I did no slow down. Coupled with 2 for $100.00 unlimited data, talk text, 7GB Hotspot, VOLTE, free roaming data in over 100± foreign countries, 2 original jump upgrade twice a year for 130.00 month. I'm in it until they change the pricing

Forgot to add I usually use about 40-80GB a month. I have seen network deprioritizing in action but the speeds are still up there in the 70-90MB download range during the day. I cannot even tell it is slowed unless I do a speed test. Once my monthly is reset it's back to 120-140 MB download.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With T-mobile in Hawaii I Ave way over 100MB download in my home. And I once tried to go over the 1 terabyte line which I did no slow down. Coupled with 2 for $100.00 unlimited data, talk text, 7GB Hotspot, VOLTE, free roaming data in over 100± foreign countries, 2 original jump upgrade twice a year for 130.00 month. I'm in it until they change the pricing

Forgot to add I usually use about 40-80GB a month. I have seen network deprioritizing in action but the speeds are still up there in the 70-90MB download range during the day. I cannot even tell it is slowed unless I do a speed test. Once my monthly is reset it's back to 120-140 MB download.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

These results aren't typical for most being de-prioritized. Most get a lot less but still usable. Just really depends where you live and how dense it is with population.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I think you'd be crazy. However, if the temptation is too great at least test T-Mobile for a month before you let the golden goose go.

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
These results aren't typical for most being de-prioritized. Most get a lot less but still usable. Just really depends where you live and how dense it is with population.

Definitely not typical... I've experienced it in Phoenix, AZ at work and it SUCKS... then again I could be paying per GB at the big 2...

Sonartech08

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Since you asked for us to be as brutal as possible, I signed up for an account to respond. Use like this is why we've lost Unlimited Data to begin with. When you start cutting into the home Internet market to save a buck, we all lose. With that being said, no don't change from Verizon until they make you. It's unlikely you'll be able to switch and get the same ability for very long. I didn't see anyone ask 'WHY' you're considering changing? It seems like you're looking a gift horse in the mouth even considering it. It's well known that Verizon will end date their Unlimited plans and force us to change. They just haven't figured out how legally but rest assured, Big Red will eventually one day force a change.

For the record, I buy my phones outright so I can keep my Verizon Unlimited plan. I have thought about T Mobile but you get what you pay for. Since I travel a lot, T Mobile isn't an option due to coverage. I'm also concerned T Mobile may get swallowed up and bought someday soon in a merger. I can't help but to think all these crazy, astounding deals they give will hurt them in the end. It might be a last ditch effort to become too big to fail like AT&T and Verizon but I can't see how it's sustainable from a business perspective. Then again, Southwest Airlines are very successful with a similar mindset.

Good luck! (and thanks for screwing up unlimited for the rest of us!)

Sonar :mad:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's well known that Verizon will end date their Unlimited plans and force us to change. They just haven't figured out how legally but rest assured, Big Red will eventually one day force a change.

They actually could do it right now. There is no "legal" issue with it. If you're not in a contract they do not guarantee you on your plans and can force you to change or leave. If you are in a contract w/ unlimited data (via a loop hole) then yes they must uphold the contract.

They simply do not do it since they do not want bad press by forcing users off the plan.

droidpacman

Banned
May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an id**t for thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile

Verizon has the unlimited unthrottled, no network optimization 4GLTE hotspot addon for the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan.

TMobile doesn't officially support unlimited hotspot, though depending on the device and variant, it could work. But keep in mind that it would be a cat and mouse game. And obviously the hotspot is subject to the same network optimization /de prioritization as discussed above,which Verizon's isn't. But of course Verizon is more expensive. Still, factoring in over 1tb on average, imo I would rather just stick with Verizon.

All company have data prioritization, it's done by the computers controlling the network. With that being said, tmobile does in fact offer unlimited data on tethering. On the 2 for 100 plan that expired on the 14th , I get 7gb of high speed , then throttled to 128kbps, yes the download speed is slower, but I can still use as much as I want

Posted via the "None-Ya" app

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

All company have data prioritization, it's done by the computers controlling the network. With that being said, tmobile does in fact offer unlimited data on tethering. On the 2 for 100 plan that expired on the 14th , I get 7gb of high speed , then throttled to 128kbps, yes the download speed is slower, but I can still use as much as I want

I think what he meant is that unlimited customers on Verizon are not specifically de-prioritized like they are on T-Mobile after 21GB.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes but your version of unlimited tether versus his is very drastic. I would rather have his where speed never slows. I have hit the 7 GB on my tether and you go down to 0.1 Mbps -- It is basically useless.

droidpacman

Banned
May 26, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I see what u guys mean, but yes all companies practice de prioritization, they have to , that way they can maintain fair usage for all subscribers

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I see what u guys mean, but yes all companies practice de prioritization, they have to , that way they can maintain fair usage for all subscribers

All companies practice network management to maintain the integrity of their network. The difference is that Verizon's 4GLTE network treat all the users the same regardless of plan. TMobile, att, and Sprint de prioritize customers on certain 4GLTE plans over others on other 4GLTE plans in high load situations.