New sidekick

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anybody want this phone? I wish they released more info about it. Like what version of android it'll ship with.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

fugitivealien

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I LOVED the SideKick! I had an original Black & White sidekick back in 2002 and ALL the way through this past year when i finally upgraded to a g2 on T-Mobile. Honestly it's only living on in name alone, and the spiritual successor to the Danger Hiptop platform *IS* Android.

I mean Danger was founded by Andy Rubin which left to found Android which was purchased by Google and we're all now here all talking about it! ;)

SideKick is just a brand and it's okay to slap on an Android in my mind in a backend functionality standpoint but the only thing I really see that it might need to keep to be a "Sidekick" is a swiveling screen.

It would however be nice to see a device that's got a 5 row keyboard, a d-pad or ball instead of the g2's underside of a mouse touchpad thing. I don't like it at all. =(

fugitivealien

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I understood that the Sidekick got marketed to teenagers but from the start it was Andy Rubin's mobile synchronized platform from the beginning. Sergey and Larry from Google used the Sidekick religiously in the early 2000s and I personally am a 30 something career guy and only recently gave mine up. I think part of the stigma of the "teenager" sidekick user was really the fact that it was the only phone that originally had an affordable plan. It was originally just $20 for unlimited data, and texting, the phone plan could have been added as well for just $30 with 200 monthly minutes; or alternatively just $0.20 per minute. You can't even get close to prices like that now for an unlimited data plan. This is part of the reason the Microsoft Kin failed. Who is going to get a completely teenager geared phone at the order of $100 a month for their kid?

Maybe the Sidekick brand will make Android cool for the teens instead of Apple? ;)

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have an original sidekick I bought on release day with t-mobile. LOL I have not made a single phone call or data with the device because it only had single band and no signal here. Every once in a while I find it in the bottom of my toy box.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I have an original sidekick I bought on release day with t-mobile. LOL I have not made a single phone call or data with the device because it only had single band and no signal here. Every once in a while I find it in the bottom of my toy box.

Lol what did you use it for then?

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Lol what did you use it for then?
I was hoping tmo would get better towers. Ultimately I had to go to sprint since at the time there weren't the options for signal repeaters we have today.

The funniest story about it is that I researched the antenna manufacturer for the hiptop (aka sidekick) and spent over $100 getting an antenna package to wire into it. Quite a lump that would have made to the case, but even with that huge space age antenna I couldn't get a tmo signal haha.