Unusable signal in congested areas.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This has happened on 3 occasions. Once at EDC in Las Vegas, my texts would fail to send and i would generally fail to receive anything. Verizon customers nearby were unaffected. AT&T text were slightly delayed. I was inside T-Mobile's network. I understand the area I was in was heavily congested, so the towers could've been overwhelmed.

The good news is that now T-Mo rolls out mobile towers for EDC! Text away!!!!

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Really? I wonder how EDC Vegas 2016 will be. It's not the service, it's just overwhelmed by the 120,000 people all trying to use their phones. I always time stamp messages during EDC due to delivery and sending delays. I also reboot often in there but mostly I make sure everyone has our schedule and also a meeting spot circled on a map where I am at between sets whenever possible

Apexeon

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Following up on this, I continue to have problems at any place where there's more than, say... a 100 people around me.

However, I found that if I set my phone from "Automatic" to "2g", disable data, disable roaming data I can text and make phone calls as normal. I tested this in a heavily congested area and it worked then too.

I'm wondering if this isn't related to T-Mobile throttling certain users in congested areas based on usage. What I don't understand is why this affects my calls and text, which aren't made via data.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X 1st gen doesn't support T-Mobile Band 12 so it will have many more signal problem areas that a phone that supports Band 12 on T-Mobile. San Francisco is a Band 12 area where T-Mobile took out some Band 2 and Band 4 units to add Band 12 cell units. Las Vegas is a non-Band 12 area but T-Mobile has just agreed to buy Band 12 spectrum in Las Vegas so after FCC approval it will have Band 12 a few months after.

Rootmetric just awarded T-Mobile tied with Verizon and AT&T for 1st place in Las Vegas even without Band 12. {{ $root.meta.title }}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech