04-18-2016 02:18 PM
81 123 ...
tools
    So last night about 8:30pm CST I walked out of the T-Mobile store with 5 new phones, activated, porting initiated. About 12:30am I received a welcome to T-Mobile text with the correct number on all 5 phones. Woke up this morning about 7am, all phones showed correct numbers but couldn't receive calls. Talked to T-Mobile and they said wait 24 hours and it should resolve itself.

About 8:30am I received more text messages and was finally able to make/receive calls.

However, as of about 4pm right now I'm not able to send/receive text messages from anyone other than T-Mobile customers.

I've been with Sprint over 15 years so this is my first experience being in porting limbo.

Does all this seem like the normal porting issues?
    12-06-2015 04:57 PM
    So last night about 8:30pm CST I walked out of the T-Mobile store with 5 new phones, activated, porting initiated. About 12:30am I received a welcome to T-Mobile text with the correct number on all 5 phones. Woke up this morning about 7am, all phones showed correct numbers but couldn't receive calls. Talked to T-Mobile and they said wait 24 hours and it should resolve itself.

About 8:30am I received more text messages and was finally able to make/receive calls.

However, as of about 4pm right now I'm not able to send/receive text messages from anyone other than T-Mobile customers.

I've been with Sprint over 15 years so this is my first experience being in porting limbo.

Does all this seem like the normal porting issues?
    Normal? Just depends. I have been on all carriers. I have had a few take a few hours and others take 5 minutes. If it passes 24 hours I would worry -- till then I would just wait.
    Laura Knotek and anon(782252) like this.
    12-06-2015 09:14 PM
    Normal? Just depends. I have been on all carriers. I have had a few take a few hours and others take 5 minutes. If it passes 24 hours I would worry -- till then I would just wait.
    Thanks. I called about 45 minutes ago and talked to a tech who checked everything and said it just seems to be the port process. He had another department re-push the signal and he would follow up tomorrow. Hopefully it resolves itself.
    12-06-2015 09:39 PM
    Thanks. I called about 45 minutes ago and talked to a tech who checked everything and said it just seems to be the port process. He had another department re-push the signal and he would follow up tomorrow. Hopefully it resolves itself.
    It most likely is caused by it being done on a weekend. It gets wonky on a non-business day. I would expect everything to fully "catch up" by Monday since that is the first business day.
    12-06-2015 10:00 PM
    Yeah it'll catch up.
    12-06-2015 11:16 PM
    Just be ready for a near heart attack. I also ported from sprint after being with them 15 years and I did mine on the 1st.

Yesterday, I got one text message from chase bank at like 9am saying that I wouldn't receive text alerts. Didn't think much about it at the time. Went in to take my shower, got out and at 11:57 am EST I had like 12 more from 2 more banks, PayPal, etc all saying the same thing. My heart started to flutter, I got light headed, thinking oh crap, this is it, someone hacked my accounts (yes, I use lastpass with strong passwords) and my financial apocalypse is upon me.

Nope, turns out sprint is vindictive and tells everyone that when you port your number away from them that it's no longer a valid number and to deactivate it.

Doesn't make sense to me. If I cancelled and didn't port it, then yes cancel the texts services. But if I actually take it with me, don't go around telling everyone it's bad.

But I'm okay. No hacking occurred, no heart attack, and I didn't pass out. Whew! If I thought it would make a lick of difference, I'd call sprint and tell them how much of a mistake they made and how they have it backwards. But I know better. But I do know they will never get my business again. They lost the guy at my main bank as he thought it was asinine as well. And my parents and their 4 lines are moving to Magenta this week too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Crashdamage likes this.
    12-07-2015 09:29 AM
    I'm also a 15 year sprint customer that ported on December 1. My port went fantastic. Completed the process at 9PM, woke up the next morning all the phones worked perfectly. And just like you, a couple days later came a barrage of SMS cancellation notices. That's fine with me, I'll re-sign up as needed.
    12-07-2015 11:15 AM
    Interesting on the SMS cancellations. I have no problem ripping Sprint apart on the phone if they do that. They had their chance to keep me. I talked with them several times about what T-Mobile was offering and the best offer they came back with was a one time $120 credit. Really? T-Mobile is offering me $1,000 plus paying off 2 phones plus giving me 6gb/line with no overages vs sharing 8gb and its $5/month cheaper and all you offer is $120 credit? Come on.

On a good note, I woke up this morning and all 5 lines seem to have text working to and from other carriers.
    Almeuit likes this.
    12-07-2015 11:54 AM
    Interesting on the SMS cancellations. I have no problem ripping Sprint apart on the phone if they do that. They had their chance to keep me. I talked with them several times about what T-Mobile was offering and the best offer they came back with was a one time $120 credit. Really? T-Mobile is offering me $1,000 plus paying off 2 phones plus giving me 6gb/line with no overages vs sharing 8gb and its $5/month cheaper and all you offer is $120 credit? Come on.

On a good note, I woke up this morning and all 5 lines seem to have text working to and from other carriers.
    Glad it caught up! .
    anon(782252) likes this.
    12-07-2015 12:41 PM
    I would assume these are more issues with the carrier you are porting from than T-mobile. I did ours on a Saturday and it took about an hour total after the computers were up and running to port from Verizon and have all phones working properly.
    12-07-2015 01:39 PM
    Glad it caught up! .
    Me too. Not a big deal if it was just me but dealing with 5 lines, not all in the same house, got to be a bit of a headache.
    12-07-2015 01:50 PM
    I'm already impressed with T-Mobile customer service. Tech told me last night he would call me in 24 hours to follow up and he called within about 5 minutes of that. I don't remember a Sprint tech or rep doing that in the last several years.
    12-07-2015 09:38 PM
    I'm a happy camper so far with my new service. They seem to care about you when you call in, a lot faster speeds and actual HD voice... Who knew!? Lol.

12-08-2015 12:46 AM
    Tourband - if my guess is right sometime today will be your big ol send off from sprint and the text after text from everyone saying you will no longer be getting texts.

Let me know when you get them and if you do call sprint. I'm still considering calling them.

12-09-2015 06:09 AM
    Tourband - if my guess is right sometime today will be your big ol send off from sprint and the text after text from everyone saying you will no longer be getting texts.

Let me know when you get them and if you do call sprint. I'm still considering calling them.

I'll definitely report back if it happens. Nothing so far but it's still before noon.
    12-09-2015 12:20 PM

Well, it finally happened this morning. Got about 15 text messages at the same time saying I would no longer be receiving text updates.

That's really poor behavior by Sprint and I will certainly be letting them know how I feel about their choice to do that.
    12-10-2015 04:37 PM
    Congrats! Welcome to the family.

12-10-2015 04:58 PM
    Congrats! Welcome to the family.

Thanks! Lol

So first time in my cell phone history (15+ years) that I've switched carriers. Is this typical behavior or strictly a Sprint thing?
    12-10-2015 07:51 PM
    Thanks! Lol

So first time in my cell phone history (15+ years) that I've switched carriers. Is this typical behavior or strictly a Sprint thing?
    I would say a Sprint thing. It didn't happen when I left them. I have been on all 4 of the major carriers and never experienced that.
    12-11-2015 04:28 PM
    I would say a Sprint thing. It didn't happen when I left them. I have been on all 4 of the major carriers and never experienced that.
    I guess I can't say I'm surprised with how disinterested they were with keeping a 15+ year customer with 5 lines.

Oh well, might be time to play change carriers every 2 years game. I already change electric companies every 3 to 12 months, what's another service.
    12-12-2015 05:50 PM
    It just seems so backwards with their thinking about what to do with notification of your number. You took it with you, so it should be sensical NOT to turn it off.

Oh well they probably did me a favor. It's my first time switching providers in 15 years as well.

12-13-2015 08:23 PM
    It just seems so backwards with their thinking about what to do with notification of your number. You took it with you, so it should be sensical NOT to turn it off.

Oh well they probably did me a favor. It's my first time switching providers in 15 years as well.

Yep, they know you ported it and it's still active. I guess they are just being vindictive.

Other than that minor inconvenience, everything is pretty good so far.

Only hiccup I'm having is with MyTmobile account. It won't allow me to change account permissions for my other lines (not all in the same house so I need other lines to have full access as well). I called last Saturday to report the issue, she filed a ticket for me and said it could take up to 72 hours. So I waited until Wednesday, still not fixed. Called again Wednesday and apparently she filed the ticket with the wrong department so nothing has been fixed. Now another please give us 72 hours. I guess we will see.
    12-17-2015 11:44 PM
    I have been a T-Mobile customer for almost 2 years now and haven't had any troubles. I actually ported from ATT(4 months) to Straight talk(2 years) to Walmart Family Mobile (tested before paying for the deposit for tmobile) to T-Mobile.
    12-18-2015 02:32 PM
    Well at this rate, T-Mobile might just irritate me enough with their customer service that I'll leave them in a couple months.

I've had an open ticket for a an account issue for 8 days now with no resolution. I'm on my 3rd CS rep telling me to please allow 72 hours to look into this issue. Umm, you've had 72 hours 2 different times so far and I'm still having the same issue.
    And I guess T-Mobile on Twitter is only interested in helping out with anything if you are on another carrier and interested in their service. Since I became a customer, T-Mobile has yet to respond to a single question directed at them.
    Pretty sad first 15 days as far as customer service goes.
    12-20-2015 03:33 PM
    I haven't tried to give my other one full access, as I would rather him not have it. But I know I had to claim primary ownership or something the first time. I did a lot via mobile Web and app but find that I actually have to get on the computer to do a few things.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you can change what time it shows on the website when calls were made and texts sent? It shows PST for everything and I'm in Indiana. I can't find a setting and my e911 address is correct. One lady did tell me it's because tmobile is PST and no way to change it, but that seems strange to me.

12-20-2015 03:50 PM
81 123 ...