Purchasing phone and un-carrier question

nycrazyy

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am thinking of switching over to T-Mobile, but I have a quick question. I saw that you can get a new phone for $0 down, but then you'll be billed for the retail price of the phone in a span of 24 months. Let's say for example ... I want to purchase the new Note 7 that will be releasing next month. Can I put down like $200-300 for that phone at the T-Mobile store so that I can get a lower monthly cost on my bill for the equipment?

Also, I am currently on VZW. I saw that T-Mobile will buy out my VZW contract if I trade in my VZW phone. My question is ... instead of trading in my nice VZW phone I have right now (iPhone 6S Plus) ... can I just trade in an old phone such as my iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 I have laying around the house (they work on VZW).

Thanks in advance guys!

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can think of it as a 0% interest credit card. You don't have to use the $0 down, and you can also pay as much as you want, whenever you want on the device towards the total. Pay it off next month? Sure!, Spread the payments over the 24 months, won't cost you any more to do that.

The ONLY disadvantage [and it's really not even if you think about it] of the 0$ down (even at 0% interest!) is that if you cancel service, they will hit you for whatever the remaining balance on your device is.

The second part of your question, Sure, It doesn't even have to be a phone that's active on your account at the time. They do have limits how old the phone can be that you're trading in, so the 4s and maybe even the 5 may not cut it anymore.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
The ONLY disadvantage [and it's really not even if you think about it] of the 0$ down (even at 0% interest!) is that if you cancel service, they will hit you for whatever the remaining balance on your device is.

Part of the guarantee let's you continue making payments even if you cancel now

Posted via the Android Central App

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm also considering switching to T-Mobile. I currently have the LG G4 on Verizon. I'm sure you've heard about the Bootloop IMG issues that people are having on this phone. It certainly won't affect everyone but still the possibility exists. It's got me worried that it might happen to me and I would be out of a phone. I still have 13 months of payments on this phone too. The thing is, I'm on a Verizon family plan with my wife. If I switched to a 2gb plan on T-Mobile and my wife stayed on Verizon, would we actually be paying more a month than us both being on the same carrier?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm also considering switching to T-Mobile. I currently have the LG G4 on Verizon. I'm sure you've heard about the Bootloop IMG issues that people are having on this phone. It certainly won't affect everyone but still the possibility exists. It's got me worried that it might happen to me and I would be out of a phone. I still have 13 months of payments on this phone too. The thing is, I'm on a Verizon family plan with my wife. If I switched to a 2gb plan on T-Mobile and my wife stayed on Verizon, would we actually be paying more a month than us both being on the same carrier?

That all depends on what type of plan your wife is/would be on at Verizon. Take the Verizon amount and add $50 (plus phone if you get one) and compare that to what you pay now, simple as that. No way for us to help you with the math if you need it, without knowing the Verizon cost.