T-Mobile might be rolling out aggregation/advanced LTE services as we speak

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I'm fussing around with my Nexus 5X and loaded a new build and when it boots up, I notice something odd about the status bar:

Screenshot_20170117-101032.png

Now, I suspect that this might be T-Mobile rolling out carrier aggregation (I'm in MA), something they talked about in their recent press events. My phone is still restoring at the moment, so I am not able to run a speed test to see if there is a noticeable bump in throughput, but it's something to look out for.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I checked with T-Mobile on Twitter, and they were a bit coy in their answer. So I suspect that its a managed rollout in select markets and nothing officially launched nationwide just yet.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Whoa. I noticed that too yesterday (in Seattle). I had just flashed PureNexus though and figured it was something ROM-specific. Are you running stock?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's popped up again and I just ran a speed test on fast.com. Normally, I get fairly dismal service in my office, but this time I clocked in at 4.1Mbps. That seems a definite improvement.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Dirty Unicorns on it at the moment.

I'll have to play around with it a bit... eyeballing, I was getting around 40Mb/s when it was sucking down apps from Google Play, which is 3 or so times faster than what I usually got at my office. But a while later I ran a speed test and showed 20... but its an office park, so people were probably getting into work and hitting the tower more, so there's not enough there to make a conclusion.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually now thinking this is a result of flashing a new ROM rather than a change in T-Mobile service.