TMO's reaction to Verizon's new UDP: two ONE lines for $100

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it's funny that their cut off is 22G which is less than TMO (don't know what the other carriers are) and they're still charging more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Beginning March 1st, T-Mobile is giving away anyone with two lines on qualifying plans, a free line. Anyone on the One plans whether it's post or prepaid will get the free line, all you have to do is call in. You will get 3 lines for $100.

That's really gonna mess up my chart. haha

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you T-Mobile
df3c95394474aa2160aa9dd16e8be484.jpg

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Beginning March 1st, T-Mobile is giving away anyone with two lines on qualifying plans, a free line.

Aaaand raising the activation SIM card fee to $25, because $20 for a piece of plastic (I'm sorry, three pieces of plastic) wasn't enough. I wonder if there will be a press release announcing this, maybe a garish video with loud music and a guest spot? Uncarrier!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Aaaand raising the activation SIM card fee to $25, because $20 for a piece of plastic (I'm sorry, three pieces of plastic) wasn't enough. I wonder if there will be a press release announcing this, maybe a garish video with loud music and a guest spot? Uncarrier!

I've activated probably 12 accounts through T-Mobile over the past few years and I have never paid for a sim card through T-Mobile. I get them on eBay trough a seller who sells them in 10 packs.

What about the access fees the other carriers charge? It's no different then T-Mobile charging $25 for a sim card. It's a one time fee for T-Mobile but a monthly fee for the other carriers.

We get it, you hate T-Mobile.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What about the access fees the other carriers charge? It's no different then T-Mobile charging $25 for a sim card. It's a one time fee for T-Mobile but a monthly fee for the other carriers.

We get it, you hate T-Mobile.

Here's the thing though: TMO will swear up and down that the SIM card fee is not an activation fee. John Legere even put out a video calling out AT&T and Verizon over activation fees...and then went on to institute the "assisted service fee" (or whatever that in-store fee is called that hits you even if you're just buying a new phone and walking out) and the $20 $25 SIM card fee. Does that not seem hypocritical to you?

Regarding access fees: Verizon's new plan is $85 (80 after auto-pay) for a single line, including the access fee. So TMO, without the access fee you seem to despise, is just $10 cheaper per month. Verizon's plan comes with the Verizon network whereas TMO's comes with the TMO network and the need to turn on HD.

I get that you love T-Mobile, but let's keep things in perspective.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
We just signed up on Sunday with TMO and we have three lines and our monthly bill is $80. That's with their promo two lines unlimited for $100 then their 20 percent off for life promo and then we added in a third line that became active this morning on their third line for free promo that went into effect today. So that's three lines of unlimited service for $80 a month.

We've had ATT and we've had Verizon but this is the first time we've had three lines for $80 a month. TMO service in our area is decent so it works for us. YMMV

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We just signed up on Sunday with TMO and we have three lines and our monthly bill is $80. That's with their promo two lines unlimited for $100 then their 20 percent off for life promo and then we added in a third line that became active this morning on their third line for free promo that went into effect today. So that's three lines of unlimited service for $80 a month.

We've had ATT and we've had Verizon but this is the first time we've had three lines for $80 a month. TMO service in our area is decent so it works for us. YMMV

Is the 20% off thing still going on? I am sure my friend would like to know about it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not sure why the T-Mo folk get hung up on the "access fee". Focus on the final price like with T-Mo.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is the 20% off thing still going on? I am sure my friend would like to know about it.

I think it is but they did mention that it is a limited offer so your friend might want to check on that ASAP. It may only be for new lines ported in but I'm not sure of that.

We got a great deal. $350 for bringing in a Pixel XL plus $150 each for the two ported lines so that is $650 for signing up. We had our own phones so no charge there, and we got the $650 in a MasterCard, 20 percent for life and the free line. I also bought a Gear S3 Frontier which they price matched to BestBuy and that also gets the 20 percent discount as long as we remain on TMO. I attached the free line to a phone line as that saves more money than attaching it to the smartwatch. All in all, we did really well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it is but they did mention that it is a limited offer so your friend might want to check on that ASAP. It may only be for new lines ported in but I'm not sure of that.

We got a great deal. $350 for bringing in a Pixel XL plus $150 each for the two ported lines so that is $650 for signing up. We had our own phones so no charge there, and we got the $650 in a MasterCard, 20 percent for life and the free line. I also bought a Gear S3 Frontier which they price matched to BestBuy and that also gets the 20 percent discount as long as we remain on TMO. I attached the free line to a phone line as that saves more money than attaching it to the smartwatch. All in all, we did really well.
Ah yep I found it goes till the end of March but for new customers.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to point out that on the third line free promo, the line can also be a tablet line with unlimited data. I'm sure it is deprioritized at 28GB like the phone lines but that's still an incredible deal.

Edgardo Soto

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Nice. Last week I cancelled my 4 lines/120 deal and went prepaid for 100 minutes/5GB for $30.

This might get me to go back to postpaid, get two lines for $100, unlimited.

I have that $120 4 lines plan but also included they gave me unlimited till 2019, well is not unlimited as they slow it down after 20 + gigs but no way I'm leaving this plan for no ther plan. And now I can get another line on top of it, damn. You must no need but one or two lines to leave this awesome plan when you get less of everything with the new plan you got. I'm just curious about why you will jump ship from the best plan it was around..Many people would love to have what you refuse to have.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have that $120 4 lines plan but also included they gave me unlimited till 2019, well is not unlimited as they slow it down after 20 + gigs but no way I'm leaving this plan for no ther plan. And now I can get another line on top of it, damn. You must no need but one or two lines to leave this awesome plan when you get less of everything with the new plan you got. I'm just curious about why you will jump ship from the best plan it was around..Many people would love to have what you refuse to have.
Well for one thing, I am only me. I had four lines to use in four phones, four phones that I have. When I cancelled the plan, I actually had five lines and I started wondering if belonged in a mental hospital for having so many lines and wasting $140 when I actually only used one line to make calls/texts on. Each line had 10GB data that I never even used half of on my main line and maybe 2-3GBs on the other lines. I was seriously just wasting money.

Now, I have two unlimited lines, one is still only used to call and text on and I'm paying less money for more data. It just makes more sense now and I will actually use more of the data on each line because I only have two instead of five. I can also get the third free line which can be a tablet plan and I can use that on either one of my two iPads.

Many people don't want what I had because I was throwing away money for five lines I clearly never needed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well for one thing, I am only me. I had four lines to use in four phones, four phones that I have. When I cancelled the plan, I actually had five lines and I started wondering if belonged in a mental hospital for having so many lines and wasting $140 when I actually only used one line to make calls/texts on. Each line had 10GB data that I never even used half of on my main line and maybe 2-3GBs on the other lines. I was seriously just wasting money.

Now, I have two unlimited lines, one is still only used to call and text on and I'm paying less money for more data. It just makes more sense now and I will actually use more of the data on each line because I only have two instead of five. I can also get the third free line which can be a tablet plan and I can use that on either one of my two iPads.

Many people don't want what I had because I was throwing away money for five lines I clearly never needed.

Yeah I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do that. I can't even have more than one phone since I sell my previous ones for profit. I know people say keep a backup but I am not that worried .. If it really ever came down to being without a phone I could go into the carrier store and just buy one / return it later.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do that. I can't even have more than one phone since I sell my previous ones for profit. I know people say keep a backup but I am not that worried .. If it really ever came down to being without a phone I could go into the carrier store and just buy one / return it later.
I've got to cut down on buying phones as well. There was a time when I bought only one a year and the least two years has been 4-5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac