Good visual aid to show how much T-Mobile gained with the 600Mhz auction

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Legere was jacked up on Redbull, so his enthusiasm was expected... but I wanted to post a couple of graphics that I got from Spectrum Gateway

The colors on the map represent how much continuous spectrum is available for LTE downlink in AWS-1 or PCS band without carrier aggregation:
Black: 0 MHz
Yellow: 5 MHz
Green: 10 MHz
Red: 15 MHz (peak download speed of about 112 Mbps)
Magenta: 20 MHz (peak download speed of about 150 Mbps)
Together red and magenta colors show where T-Mobile can deploy Wideband LTE.

First.. their current network

current.jpg

Now, what they gained with the new 600Mhz spectrum rights

600.jpg

As with most things, more is better... And T-Mobile got big beefy chunks of spectrum (wider means higher capacity and better bandwidth). And this is just the rights to use the spectrum, not where they will have towers, etc... but it illustrates just how much their network will benefit from the auction win.

By the way, I don't think it is a coincidence that the areas that got the least amount of spectrum are big metro areas. This spectrum is recovered from UHF TV stations, and I think that there might be exclusion zones still in place (like they dealt with during the 700Mhz rollout). But metro areas weren't an issue as is... the big thing here is everywhere else.

Oh, and if you work on an oil platform in the Gulf.... you'll be able to binge watch Netflix now.

gipper69

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
The bad news is that this will require new devices, even after the tower deployment. None of the current generation devices support these frequencies. So, while it is a sign of better things to come, it will cost you.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The bad news is that this will require new devices, even after the tower deployment. None of the current generation devices support these frequencies. So, while it is a sign of better things to come, it will cost you.
Well, like band 12, by the time it rolls out, you'll probably have a phone that supports it. The Fall crop of T-Mobile devices might have support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87