how good will network get

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hard to answer question but curious what you think. How good will the T-Mobile network get now that they bought all that spectrum? Do you think they mean business when it comes to expanding rural coverage and eventually match Verizon, or do you think it's more smoke and mirrors for short term growth before a merger/sale etc?

I know they wouldn't spend all that money if they didn't have some kind of plans

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They've made it clear that they want to surpass Verizon in coverage. I'm confident that they mean business. And just having them the past few years, they've met or exceeded all of their goals for network expansion in my area. They expected near parity with Verizon with just their band 2 and 12 coverage by 2018 (I think that's the year they gave), throwing 600mhz in (with new devices to support it) will greatly increase the "throw" from each tower, not to mention building penetration.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hard to answer question but curious what you think. How good will the T-Mobile network get now that they bought all that spectrum? Do you think they mean business when it comes to expanding rural coverage and eventually match Verizon, or do you think it's more smoke and mirrors for short term growth before a merger/sale etc?

I know they wouldn't spend all that money if they didn't have some kind of plans
It's not smoke and mirrors... They've been aggressively building out their network and I don't see them changing that.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I should note that it's expensive per tower. They also have to get approved for the backhaul to each one. So if there isn't existing fiber in an area, that has to be run, which introduces other regulatory issues in each area. Tower placement requires permits, leasing land if the only ideal spots are privately owned, etc. All in all, tmobile has been seriously quick expanding their native footprint. I read somewhere that we can thank AT&T for that, with the infusion of cash when their merger went south a few years ago.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the good news is that the new 600 can greatly improve their coverage without putting up a single extra tower. It should have the farthest reaching range of any band they have, with plenty of bandwidth to push high definition cat videos to all.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I think tmobile means business also. just about everywhere I go they are the best already. a few rural spots maybe not but those seem to be less and less so prob 99% of my travels T-Mobile works best.

never thought I would be saying that at least not this early

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz