T-Mobile 600mhz network is live!

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Great! I'm pretty sure the upcoming Note 8 will support it right out of the box, at least the Tmo variant.

I think the current S8/S8+ can support it as well since it's using the Snapdragon 835. It wasn't certified since there was no such network back then. Probably just need some updates and certification.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think there's time for phones to come out. The deployment seems to be targeting less *populated areas. For most, 600Mhz capability isn't needed yet.
*Edit*

Last edited:

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I think there's time for phones to come out. The deployment seems to be targeting less popular areas. For most, 600Mhz capability isn't needed yet.

It's not that they're targeting less popular areas, they can only deploy the spectrum in areas that are clear with the go ahead from the TV stations that were using the spectrum. Some stations may take some time to transfer frequency for their broadcasts.

thecaddyman

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
do you think 600 expansion will be as widespread as T-Mobile makes it sound like? I know they got nationwide licences so hopefully it won't be a sporadic build here and there.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I read an article on Google Now telling people on T-Mobile not to buy the Note 8 if they are concerned about being able to have the ability to use the 600MHZ network. The Note 8 does not have that band built in.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I read an article on Google Now telling people on T-Mobile not to buy the Note 8 if they are concerned about being able to have the ability to use the 600MHZ network. The Note 8 does not have that band built in.

That is correct.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
do you think 600 expansion will be as widespread as T-Mobile makes it sound like? I know they got nationwide licences so hopefully it won't be a sporadic build here and there.

Good question. Spectrum isn't always purchased to deploy, especially when licenses aren't insanely expensive; sometimes buyers buy just to block competitors out (squatting,) or to trade at some point.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
There's an animated map on T-Mobile site showing they're intended deployment schedule. They're certainly suggesting a nationwide rollout.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I saw that too...idk why my Google now keeps showing me note 8 articles, I keep selecting not interested in it

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

The biggest gating factor is not under T-Mobile's control. In order to deploy anything on 600MHz, they have to first migrate any remaining UHF TV stations off those bands. And I believe there are quite a few stations still operating in there. The FCC establishes exclusion zones within... I think its like 100 or so miles of a TV station operating in that band.

Now, as part of the transition agreements, those stations are supposed to move off. But these things can take time. I think T-Mobile might be assisting a bunch of them to be honest.

Remember that T-Mobile won the 700Mhz spectrum in 2007... and it took a good, what, 6 or 7 years to start rolling that out? It was a more crowded space, granted, but it's still not easy.

That being said, the Note 8 will not nor ever will support 600MHz. But there's an extremely good chance that anyone picking up a Note 8 will have moved on to their next phone by the time they get 600 in their area. If you ARE one of the ones that will see it soon, and you need it (which is a small number by the way), yeah... don't get a Note 8 and wait for a 600 supported phone.

thecaddyman

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to TMobile getting 600 out there widespread. I just cancelled my att backup phone and am running just tmobile since it works very well. very impressed with how reliable TMobile has been for me now

once 600 spectrum is widespread things should be excellent overall. in populated areas they already work the best for me

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The Note, Pixel 2, will not have band 71. The LG V30 and a budget soon to be announced Samsung phone will be the only two phones with band 71 compatibility this year.

thecaddyman

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
yeah for me 600 is just icing on the cake. I'd be just fine without it but from a growth and expansion aspect T-Mobile needs it. rural customers should have an option they never had before after things expand. those 1000+ (or whatever it was) new stores need the network to back things up and 600 will be great for that coverage they currently don't have in the sticks