A friend is tired of the network issues and high price of his att plan so he plans or switch to T-Mobile. He tested T-Mobile out with a prepaid and loves it. The problem is, att won't unlock his LG phone so I guess his best best is to sell it and get one from T-Mobile. The phone is paid in full bill current etc so it stinks att won't unlock it after he overpayed them for it anyways.

He plans to port out of att later today. Would trading in his phone to T-Mobile give him any kind of deal, or would selling it be best? I figure he can get more for selling it
    09-15-2017 11:13 AM
    Why won't they unlock his phone? So far as I know, there is a law in place that requires them to do so (so long as the phone has been paid and is no longer under contract).
    09-15-2017 11:29 AM
    It would help to know what LG he has and what he is looking to get. Best thing to do is probably check with T-Mobile, some of the trade in deals are better than you could get selling an old phone, while others aren't.

Also odd they won't unlock the phone, I think they legally need to. I've never messed with AT&T, not sure their actual policies for that.
    09-15-2017 11:29 AM
    A friend is tired of the network issues and high price of his att plan so he plans or switch to T-Mobile. He tested T-Mobile out with a prepaid and loves it. The problem is, att won't unlock his LG phone so I guess his best best is to sell it and get one from T-Mobile. The phone is paid in full bill current etc so it stinks att won't unlock it after he overpayed them for it anyways.

He plans to port out of att later today. Would trading in his phone to T-Mobile give him any kind of deal, or would selling it be best? I figure he can get more for selling it
    It sounds like he doesn't have the phone paid off or is still in contract. Otherwise they would unlock the phone.
    OhAlfie likes this.
    09-15-2017 11:46 AM
    it's paid off. hes going to call att to see if he can get them to approve it since the online portal automatically rejects it

It's the g4. He just got through with att on the phone. The reason for the decline is he didn't use the phone on att postpaid for at least 60 days.

He's prob going to just give it to his brother that has att prepaid and needs a better phone than what he has
    09-15-2017 12:22 PM
    Why won't they unlock his phone? So far as I know, there is a law in place that requires them to do so (so long as the phone has been paid and is no longer under contract).
    No, there's no law requiring this, but industry guidelines (non-binding, of course.)

And it isn't as simple as a phone being paid off. For example, if it was tied to a prepaid account, there are specific requirements that differ from postpaid requirements.

I would pull up the AT&T requirements (found here,) call them, and calmly explain why I expect this phone to be unlocked within two business days, and that if it isn't, I would be filing an FCC complaint. I wouldn't expect anything to come out of this phone call, so it would just be fulfilling the formality of notifying AT&T (which I don't have to) before filing the complaint. OP, Hopefully AT&T takes the complaint as seriously as TMO does, and somebody would get in touch with your friend and unlock the phone for him--provided he really meets all the terms for his AT&T account type.
    09-15-2017 12:55 PM
    09-15-2017 12:59 PM