Grandfathered Pricing and plans in a post Tmobile/Sprint World?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Considering a merger has yet to be announced and, even if it was, FCC approval would hardly be guaranteed, I am curious how it may affect grandfathered pricing and plans.

I had Tmobile back in 2014 and loved them as a company. When the Nexus 6 was impossible to get from Google, Tmobile shipped one immediately and I had one the day after release. Their plans, pricing, customer service, and generous promotions made me want to stay long-term. However, their coverage was poor in many local areas, so I left and went back to Verizon.

A few months later, Sprint ran some promotions of their own, so I decided to try them. Coverage was decent and pricing was much cheaper than Verizon.

My grandfathered Sprint plan would definitely make me think twice about leaving them, so I guess you could say I am a happy camper.

I know Tmobile also has many happy campers, and, they have also seemed to be very friendly when it comes to allowing current customers to keep grandfathered plans.

If a merger goes through, I'll give Legere the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing spectrum, joint assets, and expanding the network to challenge AT&T and Verizon.

On one hand, the thought of keeping my current Sprint plan, grandfathered pricing, while getting better coverage, has me excited.

I also have to assume that many current TMobile customers would also support a merger, if they knew coverage would increase while pricing stayed the same.

However, I know plans and pricing are never guaranteed, and I am sure Tmobile could quickly raise prices and/or find ways to encourage people to change plans if it proved beneficial to their bottom line.

I couldn't fault them. Tmobile is a for profit business, and, while I'm not a current customer, I am a shareholder. Tmobile's stock has been extremely strong in the past 1-2 years and I'd like it to continue, even if it meant the cost of my own cellular service would go up.

Is anyone else excited to see how a merger could lead to increased coverage, while also concerned that it could lead to higher pricing?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It'll definitely help with spectrum. Combining both companies would increase coverage and speed for all.

Will price increase? Only time will tell. T-Mobile has slowly been going up in price with their latest plans so I don't doubt it would continue when they have more coverage and speed to compete with.

At the end of the day they're a business. I know everyone likes to believe the hype of them loving customers no matter what but.. they exist to make money. Do they have pretty consumer friendly tactics? For sure... But.. they still are there for the $ at the end of the day.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
We'll see what happens? Like you I am very happy with the plan I have currently. Also, the speeds and coverage here where I live is just splendid as it is. With that said... I am very excited about the possibilities of what the combined spectrum holdings of both companies would be like? IMO, It would be great for both coverage and speeds in terms of overall quality and performance. It could be a network of great possibilities? And am most excited of the possibility of having John Legere running this operation. However, as I said if it doesn't come to fruition? I'm perfectly happy as it is currently. It's a win, win situation IMO.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Do they have pretty consumer friendly tactics? For sure...

Not so much lately.

--

FWIW, they did promise 'if you like your plan, you can keep your plan' unless you have unlimited. But it's not like they haven't kicked grandfathered customers off their plans in the Legere era.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not so much lately.

--

FWIW, they did promise 'if you like your plan, you can keep your plan' unless you have unlimited. But it's not like they haven't kicked grandfathered customers off their plans in the Legere era.

I can't really think of non-consumer friendly tactics. I see Verizon forcing people off plans -- I don't see T-Mobile doing things of that nature.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't really think of non-consumer friendly tactics.

-New(er) plans limiting tethering to 3G and eliminating free HS buckets.
-New(er) plans making turning Binge On off a paid add-on.
-Promo plans and even single lines not getting 'Netflix on Us.' Not to mention the whole $20 SD vs. $9.99 SD/$11.99 HD.
-AW3 $10 data plan being limited to 3G, whereas others including Verizon were offering LTE at that price point (TMO pointed people towards a $20 plan if they wanted LTE.) When they got caught, Legere quickly changed this...but just for the AW3. You Android folks are still getting shafted with non-LTE speeds at the $10 price point.
-Activation fee SIM starter kit price increases.

I see Verizon forcing people off plans -- I don't see T-Mobile doing things of that nature.

Look up Select Choice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Look up Select Choice.

Are they forcing them off plans as in to new ones? Or literally saying get off the network? Verizon is forcing them off the network I should say. They changed their tune recently to say they can get a capped plan but before the uproar they went with get off the network. I can't recall anytime T-Mobile telling people they have to move off the network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary