What do I miss out on if I buy an unlocked phone or have anew phone unlocked?

I use the WiFi calling quite a bit
    03-05-2018 11:26 AM
    Some unlocked phones support T-Mobile WiFi calling. My Moto G5S Plus does, but my Honor 7X does not. Do lots of research on specific models before making any purchase decisions if this feature is important to you.

You lose out on un-installable carrier bloatware, payment agreements as a backdoor into 2-year contracts, and delayed security and OS updates due to carrier involvement in the process (though this isn't always the case - I've read that unlocked Samsung phones are often slower to receive updates). In other words, you lose almost nothing of value.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-05-2018 12:10 PM
    Because people like to crap on carriers, there might be one important feature that the unlocked model may not have vs. the T-Mobile model.

If you're in a T-Mobile 600 MHz LTE market, the unlocked model might not support that frequency band.

(what phone are you specifically asking about?)
    tube517 likes this.
    03-05-2018 12:55 PM
    Aside from the Band 71 (600MHz) coverage, about the only things of any use are 2 apps you can download from Play and Wifi calling (which is really the carrier's way of keeping you off their towers - you don't get better audio on Wifi). (I switched from a T-Mobile branded V20 and a G5 to a Pixel 2, copied the apps to the Pixel, and haven't noticed any differences except a few apps on the T-Mobile phones not taking up space on the Pixel (and apps I never used - so much never that I can't even remember what they were now).

(And I think the V30 is the only phone currently on the market with Band 71.)
    03-06-2018 11:52 AM

The unlocked S8+ supports WiFi calling. When I installed the T-Mo sim WiFi calling was enabled after a reboot.
    03-09-2018 08:34 AM

if you fly a lot T Mobile provides free wifi on jets equipped with gogo inflight wifi. Most American, Alaska, and Delta jets have gogo inflight. Depending on your plan, you will get either 1 hour of free internet or internet for the full flight. Only T Mobile branded phones provide this benefit. It's why I bought the TMo Note8 vs an unlocked Note8.
    03-19-2018 10:35 PM
    Because people like to crap on carriers, there might be one important feature that the unlocked model may not have vs. the T-Mobile model.

If you're in a T-Mobile 600 MHz LTE market, the unlocked model might not support that frequency band.

(what phone are you specifically asking about?)
    This is true. The unlocked s9 does support this band and supports wifi calling.
    03-19-2018 11:12 PM