Wi-Fi calling on Tmobile

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how Wi-Fi calling works when you traveling out of the country? I'm going to Jamaica next week and would like to use the resorts Wi-Fi to avoid charges. TMobile reps have told me different things. First I will get charged then I won't. Has anyone used Wi-Fi calling outside the country if so were you still charged the ridiculous rate per minute?

Also have a VPN would that work to put my location in the US?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's complicated, but the simple (most likely) answer is you won't. I use it all the time, BUT my plan has unlimited calls and texts. That's where it might vary: if your plan charges you for calls, then you will get charged.

WiFi calling basically makes the phone work just as if you were in your home region using T-Mobile's network: whatever costs you there, will cost you over WiFi Calling (long distance calls if not included, etc.) BUT if you use WiFi calling to receive calls and to make calls to numbers you don't usually get charged for, then you won't be charged for those calls either.

Now this is where it gets tricky: some hotels are starting to block WiFi calling on their networks, so you might not be able to use it depending on the hotel or network you're trying to use. Same thing with VPN; some countries actively block them (like China), but in order to deter streaming and clogging up their network, so do some hotels.

VPN wouldn't work to make the phone 'think' you're in the US for calls, however, unless you're using WiFi calling for that. VPN would work on apps that, again, aren't actively blocking use of VPN traffic (like Netflix or DirecTV Now).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It will be the below rates. If you use wifi calling you can call back to the States for free but anywhere in Jamaica will be the rates below.

f34169440d5e953ee308b5e02a1d1532.jpg

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe there's some sort of an issue when you use WFC overseas to call Simple Global Countries' (which Jamaica is one of) local numbers. Instead of $0.20, you get charged $2-3/minute. It's counter-intuitive, but in such cases, it's better to roam on the local network to make local calls instead of using WFC--especially if TMO says those roaming calls are $0.20/minute.

So to summarize, here's how I think the OP should be handling calls:

Calls to/from the US: use WFC=free
Calls from Jamaican numbers: use WFC=free. Use local carrier=$0.20/min
Calls to Jamaican numbers: use local carrier=$0.20/min. Use WFC=weird trumped up rate.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem with T-Mobile is finding a company-owned store. If you get something in writing from them, they can't go back on it. If you get something from an independent (they should really tell you to call billing unless they're certain - but they don't), they may be right or they may be wrong, but T-Mobile isn't bound by what they say.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe there's some sort of an issue when you use WFC overseas to call Simple Global Countries' (which Jamaica is one of) local numbers. Instead of $0.20, you get charged $2-3/minute. It's counter-intuitive, but in such cases, it's better to roam on the local network to make local calls instead of using WFC--especially if TMO says those roaming calls are $0.20/minute.

So to summarize, here's how I think the OP should be handling calls:

Calls to/from the US: use WFC=free
Calls from Jamaican numbers: use WFC=free. Use local carrier=$0.20/min
Calls to Jamaican numbers: use local carrier=$0.20/min. Use WFC=weird trumped up rate.

There's no issue other than how we understand how Wi-Fi calling works. Remember, Wi-Fi calling is basically using your phone in your home region: Same costs that would apply as if you were using the phone in the US.

This is where it gets tricky. IN THE US, calling to Jamaica (unless you have the 'Stateside' add-on) costs $3.0 a minute. This is, again, the cost that you'd see as if you placed the call from the US to a number in Jamaica. Thus, this is the cost you'd see when using Wi-Fi calling to call a number in Jamaica. It doesn't matter if you're on a Jamaican Wi-Fi network or a Japanese one or if you use VPN to go through a Russian server... IF Wi-Fi calling is used, the phone (and rates) act as if you were in the US.
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/international-calling?countryName=Jamaica

But when roaming abroad (if you are on a ONE plan or have a grandfathered plan that includes free international data), the rate changes from those 3 bucks a minute to the mostly-standard $0.20 per minute...because you're on an international network, NOT in the US network. That's the cost you see if you use the local carrier while roaming, not while using Wi-Fi calling.
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming?country=Jamaica

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
This is where it gets tricky. IN THE US, calling to Jamaica (unless you have the 'Stateside' add-on) costs $3.0 a minute. This is, again, the cost that you'd see as if you placed the call from the US to a number in Jamaica. Thus, this is the cost you'd see when using Wi-Fi calling to call a number in Jamaica.

TMO says local WFC calls made in Simple Global countries should be billed at $0.20/min: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1680#secondheading

Making a call to a non-U.S. numberWhen outside the U.S.
If you have a T-Mobile ONE™ or Simple Choice rate™ rate plan:

• From any Simple Global country, calls are $0.20/min (same as cellular).

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The problem with T-Mobile is finding a company-owned store. If you get something in writing from them, they can't go back on it. If you get something from an independent (they should really tell you to call billing unless they're certain - but they don't), they may be right or they may be wrong, but T-Mobile isn't bound by what they say.

Not exactly true. IF you look in the Terms/Conditions on most carriers they always have something like this....

The Agreement is the entire agreement between you and us regarding the rights you have with respect to your Service, except as provided by law, and you cannot rely on any other documents or statements by any sales or service representatives or other agents

Basically you have to find it in your plan.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how Wi-Fi calling works when you traveling out of the country? I'm going to Jamaica next week and would like to use the resorts Wi-Fi to avoid charges. TMobile reps have told me different things. First I will get charged then I won't. Has anyone used Wi-Fi calling outside the country if so were you still charged the ridiculous rate per minute?

Also have a VPN would that work to put my location in the US?
It worked wonderfully in Thailand and Japan 🤙 I do have an older simple choice unlimited plan btw there's no charge for using wifi calling to call back home Hawaii. I been using it 3 years in a row from a japan wifi. Simply put
If your in jamaica and have either a older unlimited simple choice plan or and newer One plan? And you are connected to a wifi and have wifi-calling activated?
1: Calls back to the USA, retrieving voice mails are free.
2: if you call a local Jamaican number while your on wifi there? Then youwill be charged the 20 cents /minute

Last edited:

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
2: if you call a local Jamaican number while your on wifi there? Then youwill be charged the 20 cents /minute

This is what is supposed to be happening, but isn't always. Since the rate for this scenario is $0.20/minute regardless of WiFi or cellular network, it's better to use the latter because of consistency in billing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo