I have an old VZW Note 3 would that work on tmobile? If not (and I suspect not) then what would be the least costly way to test one of their phones for 10 days? I'd like to test for a month to be fair but then I'm stuck with their phone. I think they have a huge restocking fee. Just wondered if any way to give it a test then if good buy one of their good phones.
    11-27-2018 10:02 PM
    I think they have a try before you buy policy....go ask in store
    11-27-2018 10:28 PM
    Ask for the tourist plan. They sell you a sim kit with minutes texts and data that lasts 14 days I believe
    11-30-2018 11:37 PM
    I think they have a try before you buy policy....go ask in store
    Used to no more.
    12-01-2018 12:15 PM
    Ask for the tourist plan. They sell you a sim kit with minutes texts and data that lasts 14 days I believe
    I have since found VZW note 3 can't get lte on tmobile so I have no device to "tour" on.
    12-01-2018 12:15 PM
    Personally I bought a prepaid SIM from Walmart 2 years ago to test, $30 for a plan and I used my current Verizon phone.

Since that won't work with your current phone, I would suggest talking with T-mobile. Find out what there terms are if you aren't happy with their service.
    12-01-2018 01:10 PM
    I did. Repeatedly. They didn't recommend it. Only solution was buy and return phone by mail. I have read horror stories about folks returning phones only to be billed for them in full. I asked if I could return to the store and the answer was an emphatic NO!
    12-02-2018 12:42 PM
    What's your budget? If you're a Costco member, how about getting a Moto G6 (currently $239 on Costco.com), which should work fine on T-Mobile. If it doesn't work out, you can return the phone to Costco within 90 days, without a restocking fee. Or you can keep the phone as a backup, if you'd prefer to get a flagship somewhere else.

They also have the LG K30 for $169, although the specs are far inferior to the G6.
    12-05-2018 04:25 PM
    Not a Costco member. I don't shop enough to make it worthwhile. I'd prefer a used tmobile LG V20 for about the same price but then I couldn't return it so your idea is better. Thr thing is tmobile locks every phone on their network and if not a tmobile phone they won't unlock it when you leave! Crazy I know but there are threads about it. I bet Costco wouldn't be happy with a locked phone back.
    12-05-2018 05:46 PM
    Wait, are you saying that if you bring an unlocked, non-T-Mobile branded phone to T-Mobile, they lock it to their network once you insert their SIM? That doesn't seem right to me. It certainly shouldn't happen if it were, let's say, a Pixel phone.
    12-05-2018 07:15 PM
    yes they do. Apple store warned me about it and there are threads in reddit and apple confirming it.
    12-07-2018 12:37 PM
    Hmm, I see all of the threads about iPhones, but couldn't find anything about other phones. I wonder if it's something that happens (either intentionally or unintentionally) with iPhones only?
    12-07-2018 01:19 PM
    Did a little more digging -- it looks like it might be due to Apple's Reseller Flex Policy: https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146043. Lots of threads about that in the Apple support forums.
    12-07-2018 01:24 PM
    Did a little more digging -- it looks like it might be due to Apple's Reseller Flex Policy: https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146043. Lots of threads about that in the Apple support forums.
    Well that's the question. I wouldn't want to get the answer the hard way so I wonder if it is only Apples that get locked. I doubt it but anything is possible.

The issue that disturbs me is it clearly says in tmobile policies they will ONLY unlock tmobile phones so if they DO lock your unlocked Android phone puchased elsewhere
    you're screwed.
    12-11-2018 01:14 PM
    Well if I ever leave T-Mobile and take my Pixel 2 XL anywhere else, I'll let you know how it goes!
    12-12-2018 12:18 AM
    Well if I ever leave T-Mobile and take my Pixel 2 XL anywhere else, I'll let you know how it goes!
    If you bought it from them there will be no problem. They have an app that tells you if your phone is currently locked.
    12-26-2018 02:54 PM
    If you bought it from them there will be no problem. They have an app that tells you if your phone is currently locked.
    Pixel phones aren't locked.
    12-28-2018 02:22 PM
    Currently I have all three carriers (T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T) I swap Sims regularly on my unlock S9, Note9, MotoX4, PH-1 Essential, iPhone XR and iPhone XS with no problem. I only buy unlocked phones. They have never been locked after inserting T-Mobile SIM.
    recDNA likes this.
    01-21-2019 01:35 PM
    I'm shocked the iPhone never locked. Many have reported it. Even Apple Store Rep warned me about it Did you first use the iPhone with VZW?
    01-21-2019 01:47 PM
    I'm shocked the iPhone never locked. Many have reported it. Even Apple Store Rep warned me about it Did you first use the iPhone with VZW?
    The 10R was used with TMobile first but my old 6splus was used with Verizon first. My SE was also used with TMobile first and currently is on AT&T. BTW I have been with TMobile for almost 14 years even when I leased the X, 7+ and 8+ simple phone call unlocked it for me even though it was only on their Network less than 10 days.
    01-21-2019 02:15 PM
    Not a Costco member. I don't shop enough to make it worthwhile. I'd prefer a used tmobile LG V20 for about the same price but then I couldn't return it so your idea is better. Thr thing is tmobile locks every phone on their network and if not a tmobile phone they won't unlock it when you leave! Crazy I know but there are threads about it. I bet Costco wouldn't be happy with a locked phone back.
    How about another phone from tmobile, pay it off, then sell it unlocked, if you don't want to return? The Samsung J3 is $175 at tmobile. Not the best phone I'm sure, but it's a Samsung.

I understand about not wanting to return by mail, Samsung had similar problems and even claimed other problems when received. That's why I never bought directly from Samsung.

Do you know anyone else who has tmobile? I switched when my dad and coworker had it and their Samsung phones worked. Verizon getting rid of unlimited data was the reason I was looking.
    recDNA likes this.
    02-04-2019 05:40 PM
    I like looked into it and my v20 vs995 is incompatible.

Selling a phone loses money and is a hassle I'd rather avoid.

I've given up on the idea unless Tmobile makes it easier
    02-04-2019 05:49 PM
    I like looked into it and my v20 vs995 is incompatible.

Selling a phone loses money and is a hassle I'd rather avoid.

I've given up on the idea unless Tmobile makes it easier
    I understand about not wanting to resell. This is why I "lease", with tmobile.

Of course it depends on what you consider a loss. Money? Sure. But you get a chance to try out tmobile and you still can sell the phone. Or use it for something else, like a dedicated mp3 player or a gaming device or something. But that isn't always the best. I rarely use my Note 5 that I had to hang onto for 2 years and bought. I considered a clock or something, but I don't need it for that.
    02-08-2019 04:38 PM