Trading in a locked T-Mo phone to Samsung?

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
So... I've got a T-Mobile-purchased, carrier-locked Galaxy S9 that I got a year ago (when they offered me a $200 credit for a phone Galaxy S4 that was collecting dust in a drawer for years). Getting the $200 required me to pay for the device in monthly installments (getting a $8.34 credit a month for 24 months), and so there's still a balance on the device and it's still carrier-locked.

Samsung offered $550 for me to trade in my S9 and pre-order an S10. Their FAQ says:

"The device I’m trading in is one that I bought using an equal payment or other financing plan, and I still have payments left on it. Can I still trade it in?

Yes – however, please note that all remaining payments on the device you’re trading in are your responsibility. You may also be subject to additional fees. Check with your current carrier for details."​

I'm HOPING that T-Mobile will let me continue to make payments even though I won't be using that device, since I'll be sticking with their service. I don't think T-Mobile really cares what device I use (I went back to my old Pixel for a couple weeks by swapping SIMs and they didn't care), but I wasn't sure if they'd ding me for the remaining value for some reason - which would suck, since then I wouldn't get the full $200 in credits I'd been hoping for.

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
And, to answer my own question, speaking to a T-Mobile rep, they confirmed that I can send in my device and continue to make EIP payments, however, the device will stay locked to T-Mobile.
Tmotrade.jpg

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So your trading a phone in that you are still paying on for another phone that your going to have to pay on as well???

Why would you do that....???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34