Merger approved!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although there is something to be said about having more choices, the problem is that Verizon and AT&T have been the two largest Godzillas in the industry, and therefore have too much control. T-Mobile has made inroads, but has still been too small to really put up a fight, and Sprint has been an afterthought for a while. So I think the combined clout of T-Mobile and Sprint (especially when it comes to 5G) will act as a good balance to Verizon and AT&T.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Although there is something to be said about having more choices, the problem is that Verizon and AT&T have been the two largest Godzillas in the industry, and therefore have too much control. T-Mobile has made inroads, but has still been too small to really put up a fight, and Sprint has been an afterthought for a while. So I think the combined clout of T-Mobile and Sprint (especially when it comes to 5G) will act as a good balance to Verizon and AT&T.

It's odd though. The play should have been Dish buys Sprint and actually builds out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But did anyone actually think Dish would be serious about running a wireless carrier? They're a media/entertainment company, and have no experience with it at all. Comcast recently went into wireless, but at least they've had experience with landlines over cable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But did anyone actually think Dish would be serious about running a wireless carrier? They're a media/entertainment company, and have no experience with it at all. Comcast recently went into wireless, but at least they've had experience with landlines over cable.

They're not. And the Dish rollout will probably be a joke. They'll continue to sit on spectrum then sell it one of the three remaining.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting for sure. Better to have 3 more or less equal competitors than 2 strong competitors and 2 weak sisters. But I wonder if the new TMo will eventually dial back some of their innovative practices, especially with Legere leaving. They were a leaner company before the merger, plus they needed to do things differently to become relevant. Now...who knows. Most likely will depend on the new management team's vision.

The one big positive is all the spectrum that TMo/Sprint now has. Will certainly improve coverage and support a robust 5G rollout.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting for sure. Better to have 3 more or less equal competitors than 2 strong competitors and 2 weak sisters. But I wonder if the new TMo will eventually dial back some of their innovative practices, especially with Legere leaving. They were a leaner company before the merger, plus they needed to do things differently to become relevant. Now...who knows. Most likely will depend on the new management team's vision.

The one big positive is all the spectrum that TMo/Sprint now has. Will certainly improve coverage and support a robust 5G rollout.

It's amazing to me how many people fell for the Uncarrier marketing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's good marketing. You could say the same thing about any good marketing campaign or gimmick.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

dish is a dying company. I doubt they will even make a ripple as a wireless carrier. imo, they will have to do something spectacular if they want to become a player

bonedatt

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've seen T-Mobile steadily improve their network since I've been with them (15 years). I hope they continue to do so with this merger ????????????

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Just waiting for nationwide band n41 mid-band, to go with the current band n71 low-band. Then I'll buy a 5G phone. Would be nice if they would build out bands n260 and n261 mmWave as well.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I feel sorry for Tmobile users to be honest, anything related to Sprint is absolute trash. This is like absorbing cancer and being happy about it.

Mobius

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
No. It's a terrible and will ruin our beloved TMobile. These types of mergers have shown time and time again they are only good for CEOs and stock holders. Service will stagnate and prices will go up. Terrible news.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
No. It's a terrible and will ruin our beloved TMobile. These types of mergers have shown time and time again they are only good for CEOs and stock holders. Service will stagnate and prices will go up. Terrible news.

As part of the merger TMo has promised not to raise prices for at least 3 years.

I feel sorry for Tmobile users to be honest, anything related to Sprint is absolute trash. This is like absorbing cancer and being happy about it.

Sprint has a decent amount of mid band 5G spectrum to help build out 5G faster. How well TMo will handle the integration is yet to be seen. I don't feel like it's going to hurt them though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it seems unlikely that T-Mobile's network would worsen because of the merger. Sprint's 5G capabilities would be the main benefit, and that could potentially be huge given the expected lag time before millimeter wave 5G becomes adequately widespread to matter in the US.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown