Just picked up a AT&T Nexus S from Best Buy yesterday, couldn't resist that "free" offer. Returned my HTC Inspire 4G for it. Hey if I don't like it, I can always sell it. But my question is, is this phone already unlocked? I remember reading that all Nexus phones are factory unlocked
    08-04-2011 12:40 PM
    +1 on that question. I have a mytouch 4g and I would like to be able to switch sim cards but keep the same phone. gonna do some searching around!
    08-04-2011 08:11 PM
    I do not think it is unlocked. I wish I knew someone on T mobile to check it...
    08-04-2011 08:29 PM
    i'm not sure if its unlocked but i can say i just installed the swype .apk from their website with no problem so the at&t vs non market apps issue doesn't exist. thats a good sign...
    08-08-2011 06:57 AM
    Just tested mine today and it did not read the T-Mobile sim card. So they don't come unlocked. Sucks because the T-Mobile ones do.
    08-08-2011 09:34 PM
    There's no way that Best Buy could sell an unlocked phone intended for the ATT network because ATT does not officially permit new unlocked phones onto its network. If you unlock the phone, after the fact, that's another story.

Best Buy has the ability to set up and configure new and current ATT subscriber accounts. Part and parcel of that ability is the proviso that Best Buy not activate new IMEI's that are unlocked. And, for "the deal" phones, last wednesday, the entire basis for it was a new or re-upped 2 year ATT contract, configured by Best Buy, at the point of sale.

So, all these Best Buy ATT version Nexus S phones are sold locked.

If you Google around, you can find out how to unlock the Nexus S without too much trouble. Or, you can buy an already unlocked ATT version Nexus S from other vendors. But an unlocked Nexus S will not have the Samsung warranty, as unlocking the phone voids it. You'd have to buy a 3rd party warranty.
    08-09-2011 02:22 AM
    I finally found someone with a working T-Mobile sim card, so I put it in my phone and it worked, the phone didn't ask me for a sim unlock code or nothing, I successfully made a few calls with it, sent a few text. I tried to get on the internet and send a mms message, but neither worked. I'm assuming I would have to change some APN settings for those two to work. Also, the lock screen said T-Mobile instead of AT&T. I don't know if every phone is unlocked, but I think mine is
    08-11-2011 03:29 PM
    I finally found someone with a working T-Mobile sim card, so I put it in my phone and it worked, the phone didn't ask me for a sim unlock code or nothing, I successfully made a few calls with it, sent a few text. I tried to get on the internet and send a mms message, but neither worked. I'm assuming I would have to change some APN settings for those two to work. Also, the lock screen said T-Mobile instead of AT&T. I don't know if every phone is unlocked, but I think mine is
    Excellent! IMO, that definitely nails it!!

If it booted into a T-Mo lock screen, then it's carrier-unlocked.

After readling your post, I called the Best Buy salesman who sold me my Nexus S and asked him the question. His reply was that Best Buy can't sell unlocked phones for ATT. Then I Googled around, and I found a bunch of comments on various sites which said that the ATT Nexus S was carrier-unlocked, but that the Best Buy salespersons are told they were locked.

So, now I'm convinced. Thanks!!
    08-12-2011 01:51 AM
    I have a t mobile sim card and it did not work on the the phone I purchased from best buy mobile for at&t.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    08-12-2011 01:44 PM
    mine is unlocked I have used a tmobile card no problem
    08-12-2011 09:35 PM
    Makes me wonder if these phones come from more than one source, since some are locked and others are not...
    08-12-2011 09:51 PM
    I have used it with three different SIMs. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Simple Mobile.

Although, I did try it on an AT&T GoPhone SIM and it did not. It required an SUK in settings.
    08-22-2011 11:53 AM
    Yes!
    The AT&T version of the Nexus S is Unlocked. What the problem WAS ... AT&T and Tmobile used different frequencies at one time. So voice always worked but data wasnt compatible. Now that Tmobile has pretty much re-farmed their frequency to the same as AT&T, the phone is now working on Tmobiles 3G bands without any problems (if your in an area where tmobile has already upgraded their towers. I currently switch back and forth between my AT&T Nexus S and other phones using a Tmobile sim and I am having no problems at all here in NYC.

Hope this helps...
    07-29-2013 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD