I normally use some kind of hard case for my handsets. But, unexpectedly, I got an email from Rearth Ringke, who make protective gear for personal electronics. They asked if I would be willing to give one of their Nexus S cases a try, and then review it. I'd heard a lot about them, so I agreed.

I've always avoided silicone cases because I heard they are lint-catchers. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the Ringke has a polymer coating over the silicone base material which gives it grip in your hand, but not the stickiness that collects lint. Very nice feel and look.

The case fit all the curves of the Nexus S perfectly. Each of the cutouts were aligned with the same precision as the fit.

The kit also comes with two "Ringz", which are silicone plugs to protect the audio jack from debris. The head on the Ringz is angled to match that of the Nexus S. Very easy to insert and remove.

It seemed to me that the Ringke case has plenty of shock-absorbing ability to protect the phone well in an ordinary drop.

In summary, I like this case, and it completely changed my view of silicone cases. When you consider the quality of the material and the fit, the price of this product is unbeatable.

Only one negative: the case fits the power button and volume rocker so well, that it is very easy for me to accidentally power on or off the phone, or change the volume setting. This is the only aspect of the case which I would change. Apart from that, I'm very happy with the Ringke case.

A couple of views of the Ringke case, along with the "Ringz":

09-06-2011 03:37 AM