Hey guys. I'm a current iPhone user who's ready to switch to Android. My thought now is that I could get the AT&T Nexus S on contract (free!) and then sell my old iPhone 3GS. However, I'm worried that I might be wasting a two year contract.

Anyway, the reason I'm so tempted is because its free and because we know it'll be getting the ICS update. But what do you guys think? Worth getting this on a two year contract, or better off buying it off contract if I can afford it? I just want to know it'll be a phone that'll last me a while.

Everyone seems to love the Nexus S......
    11-02-2011 10:13 PM
    iirc, google is committed to a yearly version of the nexusesque line released mid November/December.

google has been committed to backwards compatibility, but I'd guess at some point, as with the original Macs, a 4 or 5 year old phone will not be supported...

wpbfjr on the road
    11-05-2011 10:45 PM
    I wouldn't expect support beyond one more year. We'll get ICS, but who knows what else. No ICS love for the Nexus One. Those owners will have to go to the Devs for further support.

For me, the Nexus S is sufficiently powerful enough for my needs, that I won't be needing to move on for some time. ICS will be a good thing, and I'm sure it will suffice. I am assuming that if I want further upgrades, post ICS, I will be able to turn to the Devs. Of course, that assumes I will want to jump through all the hoops to install custom ROMS. I'll worry about that, when the time comes.
    11-06-2011 04:19 PM
    I'd try to get one used ~250 or so and use the upgrade when the Galaxy Nexus type thing comes to AT&T.
    11-10-2011 02:05 PM
    I have this posted in another thread but what I'm considering and you can see if you like it or not is:
    Buy a nexus S or Atrix 2 at Best Buy for free or 50 dollars on a 2 yr contract and get the buy back program then when the galaxy nexus comes out sell the nexus S back to beat buy for 265 (nexus) 300 (atrix 2) then buy the nexus outright for 650-700 using the credit to make it cheaper. Plus then you are already a couple months into your contract possibly so you don't have the same phone for 2 years
    11-12-2011 05:11 PM