WHEN will nexus s get Official Ice cream sandwich?

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I just recently picked up a nexus s and I know it all depends on the release of the galaxy nexus but does anyone have an idea of when the offiicial build of ICS for the nexus s will be released. I have the att nexus s. I know there are roms too so what do you think is the best most functional rom for ICS. im coming from an iphone 3g so im not familiar on how to root the phone...

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't root your Nexus S just for the version of ICS thats available now. Too many apps don't work for it and can't be utilized. I attached a few pics of my Nexus S rooted running ICS and I'm about to roll back to GB 2.3.6 and be done with it until the official drops.

I can tell you this about the ICS rooted versions, they typing and keyboards and spell check rivals Apple. I love my Nexus S but the spell check would come up with some funky stuff sometimes. This new version (ICS) is perfect. Everything gets spelled correctly, it never guesses strange names (like going to spell GUESS and hitting GIU and my NexS spelling Guiseppe). It's making me think twice about it because the typing is soooo smooth, but, not being able to use FB or Google+ or Twitter properly makes it kind of hard for me to stay with this. Ontop of it all it just freezes up on occasion and the camera performs strange at times.

Check out the pics and if you have any questions you can always ask away and I'll give you the inside scoop and webpage links on how to root your phone. It's easier than the new iPhones. Trust me, I've had them both.

bjdrivers

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a n00b question, but I love flashing my Nexus S & trying out different ROMs. My question, what's the best way to backup/restore my apps whenever I flash? Having to re-download them gets old quick. Thanks!

kirk0625

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Only paid apps are saved to your account, and no app data if I remember correctly. I would think that the Nexus S would get ICS before HTC, Sony and the others, but HTC announced a date, and I've heard nothing official from Samsung or Google. Possibly once they're done rolling out the Galaxy Nexus to Verizon.

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
anyone hear any rumblings from google when the will push out ICS for the nexus S yet? I'm thinking some time in january.

UPDATE: Ive been searching around the web and google employees got ICS today for their Nexus S' for "testing".. so I/ sure they will wait til the new year to release it to the public and another thing I'm sure of is that my nexus S will get ICS before my Revue gets HC... sad but true

Last edited:

cpatel112

May 6, 2011
Visit site
sooo what ever happened to the GSM Nexus S' getting their ICS update? I see T-mobile nexus S' got it but no Love for ATT?

Agreed. I have been waiting for a while as well. One of the reasons I picked up a Nexus S. I have an Atrix 4G as well. Rooted because that is the only way I know it will get the ICS via custom ROM. But they need to resume the update.

My NS keeps saying my system is up to date, but I know it is lying.

dissector13

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I have been waiting for a while as well. One of the reasons I picked up a Nexus S. I have an Atrix 4G as well. Rooted because that is the only way I know it will get the ICS via custom ROM. But they need to resume the update.

My NS keeps saying my system is up to date, but I know it is lying.

Same here. I'm getting tired of waiting. All GSM nexus s will get the update? Yeah right...

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to say screw it and just root my nexus s. The only thing is that I don't want to erase all my data then have to start from scratch. I looked into universal androot, z4root and gingerbreak but they don't support 2.3.4 as far as I know

I found this article:
http://www.tech-exclusive.com/root-nexus-s-on-android-2-3-4/

does that process make sense? I I don't wanna do it risking bricking the phone

Last edited:

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
just figured I'd give a little update with my nexus S. I finally gave in to rooting it and I am in the middle of flashing CM( on it as I'm typing this. from what Ive read, it takes about 7 minutes of watching to boot image before its finally ready to reboot.. we'll see how this turns out

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
ok... are you trying to install the official OTA t-mobile ICS update for the nexus S... cuz that will brick it... att nexus s' need the att specific update and that has not been released yet unfortunately so i would stay away from that for now...

I got tired of waiting for the official update so i just went ahead and rooted my nexus and installed cm9 which is ICS w/ the added features like face unlock, android beam and google wallet that the offical OTA update leaves out

i was afraid to root my nexus cuz of the possibility of bricking it but as long s you have the right files it will be fine (right files meaning files for nexus S and not for galaxy s2 or w/e)

but its really a easy process, it maybe took me 30 minutes to root and install cm9

oo and also the rooting process is a lil different using a mac or windows computer but here is a link to how I rooted mine

[GUIDE] Rooting AND Unrooting NS4G using a Mac - xda-developers

and a little hint..... INCASE SOMETHING WERE TO GO WRONG DURING THAT PROCESS, BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE FILES ON THE NEXUS, MAKE SURE WHEN YOUR IN RECOVERY MODE TO DO A "BACK UP" OF YOUR DEVICE SO YOU CSN RESTORE IT.

if you have any questions you can send me a private message or hit me up on google +, these links are in my forum profile

dckmastaflex91

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
o man im about to root my nexus s on at&t with 2.3.4 too, i dident know that beam wasn't in the real update or wallet! how is cm9 running, im just nervous to screw with my insurence threw best buy.

jxbravo

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
ok... are you trying to install the official OTA t-mobile ICS update for the nexus S... cuz that will brick it... att nexus s' need the att specific update and that has not been released yet unfortunately so i would stay away from that for now...

it wont brick it all you need to do is flash an att radio after the t-mobile ics build my nexus s is working fine with no problems

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463