AT&T Nexus S ICS Update

juicer731

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering when the AT&T version of Nexus S will receive Ice Cream Sandwich. Will it be within a month, as mentioned before, or does that only apply to the T-mobile variant? Also will there be digital zoom in the stock camera app, finally?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Primed4nexus

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
no idea of yet but the post did say ALL GSM NEXUS S' within the next month, which would indicate us ATT Nexus S'ers will get ICS no later than mid January I assume.

In the mean time. you can check in to the google servers from the phone every now and then. Ive been doing that twice a day to see if the update for my phone is pending

you can do that by going into the dialer and typing *#*#2432546#*#*

theweatherbuzz

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
i keep seeing people say they have 2.3.6 on there ATT nexus S and i dont, was this rommed? whats the ups of that vs 2.3.3? should i leave it alone. i need some good recommended useful rooted apps also. im a n00b to the android scene.need some pointers.:p

SandyDoxy

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Vanguard_HD2 - I was looking at the same thing (AndroidME specifically), but my big reason to upgrade would be to get Wallet. But with the recent news of the PIN hack on rooted devices, I'm unwilling to put Wallet on a rooted device (Yeah, I've got a Citi Card). Looks like even the 2.3.6 OTA can't be manually loaded without rooting.

So:
1. How do you like it? Is anything non-functional? I depend on my phone for a lot (including work), and am unwilling to give up stuff like Bluetooth streaming, GPS, MMS, and all the other random stuff I sometimes hear about not working with custom ROMs.
2. I've come across a few "unroot" methods - do they work on custom ROMs? Will a re-root do another wipe?

SandyDoxy

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, over the weekend I went and rooted & flashed the AndroidME 1.1.0 ROM. LOVE IT! (1.2.3 had a lot of stability problems reported)

Rooting & Clockwork install went smooth - (sorry for not linking to the method but I'm on a different computer). ROM install was also easy - no radio was included so I didn't have to do anything besides flashing that ROM package.

ICS is SOOO much faster & smoother on this phone. I also installed Wallet, but the prepaid cards are suspended while Google figures out how to address the PIN vulnerability. Put my Citi card on there but haven't tried it anywhere yet.

Battery drained pretty quick on day 1, but I figure I was doing a lot of app installs... Battery is also pretty weak today, but I've been talking a lot. We'll see how we do going forward.

The problems I noted are:
- Voice search was broken (but it was broken on stock too). I fixed it by:
1. Installed ES File Explorer. Went into settings and set its Home directory to / (instead of /sdcard), enabled Root Explorer, and told it to Mount File System / as writeable. Allowed root when prompted.
2. Got voicesearch.apk by downloading the CodenameAndroid ROM and extracting it from /system/apps
3. Copied voicesearch.apk to my /sdcard/temp
4. Moved voicesearch.apk from /system/apps (on my phone) to /sdcard/backups/apps
5. Moved voicesearch.apk from /sdcard/temp to /system/apps
6. Disabled the Mount File System / as writeable option (just to be safe)
Works great now!

The other problem I am having is that the bluetooth audio streaming seems a little touchy. Last night I connected to my car, and was streaming (the phone recognized the play command), but no sound was coming out (yes Bluetooth volume was up, and I like how ICS has a separate volume for Bluetooth & media). It's working OK today though after a power cycle, so I'm not sure if it's just a thing I'm going to have to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781