[ICS][4.0.4][NEXUS S] ICS 4.0.4 Factory Image Installation

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What is this FASTBOOT method exactly? Fastboot is a method provided by the Android SDK of talking to your device and flashing stock "images" or OS. It also can be used to flash a custom recovery or a different radio.

Note: This method will also work in the event your rooted and need to restore to factory/unroot :)

[WARN]Warning, I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your device. I have the Sprint NS4G so I can not test this personally but the methods are basically the same.[/WARN]
Nexus S (AT&T) ICS 4.0.4 IMM26D Optional FASTBOOT Method Install
Setup/install your drivers :: 1. Download Android SDK 2. Unzip & launch "SDK Manager.exe" 3. Cancel the first popup & go to "Available packages" > "Third party Add-ons" > "Google Inc." 4. Select "Google USB Driver package" & click "Install Selected" 5. Once you're finished go to your SDK installation "extras\google\usb_driver" directory to verify drivers were download/installed. Flash the 4.0.4 IMM26D Factory Image Files: 1. Download these two files i9020a IMM26D 4.0.4 Factory Images.zip Fastboot_Install.zip 2. Using 7Zip unzip the Fastboot_Install.zip to your C:/ Drive. This will give you a folder called Fastboot_Install with the tools & scripts needed inside. 3. Next using 7Zip unzip the contents of i9020 IMM26D 4.0.4 Factory Images.zip to the folder that was created above on your C:/Fastboot_Install. So when finished you will have all the image files inside that new directory that was created as shown the the screen shot below.
attachment.php
4. Now shut down your device and then power into your bootloader. (Press UP+Power) 5. Once your at your bootloader screen, plug in your device to your computer. Open up the Fastboot_Install folder on your C:/ drive. 5a. If you haven't previously unlocked your bootloader click/run the " run_unlock.bat " file. This will unlock your bootloader. NOTE: This will wipe your device. 6. From the bootloader screen, click/run the " run_install.bat " file. This will start the flash process of the 4.0.4 IMM26D Factory Image Files. 7. When the script is completed flashing (takes a few minutes) your device will automatically reboot into ICS 4.0.4 IMM26D !

Reactions: h2opoloplyr_11

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4][NEXUS S] ICS 4.0.4 Fastboot Installation

Hope this makes the few members requesting this happy :)

Enjoy.

feastingonflesh

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
sweet. thanks will try this tonight/morning. one newb question though. when new install "wipes" phone, this means everything right. all apps and contacts. everything. if this is so would having backed-up contacts through google allow me to reinstall with minimum hassle. or is there a way/app that will save me this hassle?
thanks in advance.

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Nice post Paul627g!!!! Now everyone is informed on how to update their nexus s without having to wait for ATT to push it (and the likelyhood that ATT will push this is very low!)

@feast - it wipes everything off the phone. if you have your contacts, calendar, etc backed up and synced with google, once you reboot the phone, it'll ask you to login to your google account and contacts, gmail, and calendar will sync and restore them. Paid apps should appear in the market as well....(would just have to reinstall it).

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been having hardware problems with my AT&T Nexus S. It kills the battery even when turned completely off. Anyway I sent it to Samsung for warranty repair and all they did was flash the original ROM on it which did not help the hardware battery problem. Anyway, I have sort of given up on the phone so I decided to do some flashing of my own. I went ahead and installed the 4.0.4 factory image and was very surprised how well ICS runs on this phone! Of course, this did not fix the hardware issue but I just thought I would confirm that 4.0.4 works great and I am sure 4.1 will be even better when it is released. If anyone is still running a Nexus S on Gingerbread I suggest you upgrade.

Last edited:

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this it was a great help! Does anyone have a zip file containing the factory images for jelly bean? I tried off of the Google Site but I can't seem to open the tar file properly to get the image files?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy