Anybody Experiencing Long, repetitive restarts?

Sandman64

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Just started to notice this when I opt to restart (soft reset) my At&t Note 3. I will see the SAMSUNG LOGO, then the blue and purple swirls, then the At&t Logo, and finally my lock screen. Then it will instantly restart the same process sometimes 1 to 2 more times before completing a full restart. I have hard reset the phone as well and still it continues... Is it possible that with 32GB on Board and a 64GB micro SD for a total of 96GB that this is normal due the size of my memory, or is a sign of a SD card going bad??? Please feel happy to advise.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not normal. I too have a 64GB SD card, and I never see the behavior you're describing. I have no idea what the problem might be, though. Have you tried removing the SD card for a while and seeing if the repetitive restart still occurs?

TJCacher

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing it on and off. I posted in the "Stupid Questions" thread about it a few days ago on the XDA AT&T Note 3 Q&A forum.
I convinced myself it was related to having the "Use for all screens" option enabled in the One-handed settings, as disabling that and rebooting a couple of times seemed to clear it up.
However, the problem reappeared this morning. I was attempting to get a video of this odd behavior to post along with a system log I had made using adb logcat, but as soon as I tried to video the behavior, it stopped doing it.
Would be most interested for a dev or someone knowledgeable about such things to look into this. It's very strange.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sandman64

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try removing the SD Card and see what happens. I'll be back soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Sandman64

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Didn't make any difference with or without the SD Card installed. Still restarts 2 or 3x before it boots up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest trying a factory reset to see if the problem might be cause by some app that you loaded. If the phone still acts that way with just the factory installed apps, then it's defective and I'd suggest exchanging it. Even if the repetitive-boot problem is minor in itself, it suggests an unknown hardware flaw that could get worse or have other, yet-undiscovered consequences.

TJCacher

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I discovered a very long thread about this issue on the XDA forums this evening. After reading the whole thing, the last few postings seem to have identified an effective work-around that prevents this from happening:

Turn off the "Always allow scanning" option in wifi settings.

Step-by-step:

- Settings>Wi-Fi
- Touch the "Menu" button on the lower left of the device and choose "Advanced" from the popup menu.
- Uncheck "Always allow scanning"
- Press the "Home" button
- Try rebooting.

According to the responses on the XDA thread, this has a high success rate in preventing boot loops that were, in some cases, almost rendering some devices useless.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sandman64

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
My update: Ended up going into my local At&t Corporate Store for Exchange and actually had to wait 30 minutes for FEDEX to show up with their days allocation of black Note 3's. They were actually still sold out. Have to say the overall build quality is noticeably better. Think there may be something to the myth of waiting a few days for better quality inventory to hit the stores before you buy. I was one of the first pre orders out the door. "Literally".
So far so good with the new unit. I have also deactivated the unauthorized Wi-Fi searching as well. And so far no booting issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463