New note 3 owner as of tomorrow.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Just dropping in and saying hi.

Been a member of ac for years now and I am finally buying my first android phone. I figured the note was the way to go with the specs. Coming from a blackberry 9900 and a 4s I'm intimidated by the size and carrying the massive device but we will see when I get it tomorrow.

If there is anything I need to know about the phone or tips please let me know.

Thanks guys

Sent from my Gameboy Color

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the family.

Us Note 3 "warriors" (we've been accused of being "warriors" when it comes to the Note 3) are a enthusiastic bunch. What color did you get? You'll get used to the size w/in a week and everything else will seem positively puny.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just dropping in and saying hi.

Been a member of ac for years now and I am finally buying my first android phone. I figured the note was the way to go with the specs. Coming from a blackberry 9900 and a 4s I'm intimidated by the size and carrying the massive device but we will see when I get it tomorrow.

If there is anything I need to know about the phone or tips please let me know.

Thanks guys

Moving from a 4s will be a BIG step in many ways - size, capabilities and performance. Don't let the size worry you. I considered the Note several times over the years from when they first came out and was always reluctant to make the leap until now because of it's size. After having it just a few days I cannot ever imagine having anything else. Congrats on your new phone, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Moving from a 4s will be a BIG step in many ways - size, capabilities and performance. Don't let the size worry you. I considered the Note several times over the years from when they first came out and was always reluctant to make the leap until now because of it's size. After having it just a few days I cannot ever imagine having anything else. Congrats on your new phone, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

+1 I came from the 4S as well. Took a few days to get used to it but this forum helped ALOT.

Posted via Android Central App

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the family.

Us Note 3 "warriors" (we've been accused of being "warriors" when it comes to the Note 3) are a enthusiastic bunch. What color did you get? You'll get used to the size w/in a week and everything else will seem positively puny.

Warriors heh? Lol

Yeah the size is large. I hold some and don't know if I can get used to it but it will have to wait until it's my daily driver.

I got the black one because the black back looks classier to me. Also I'd get the white one dirty way to fast. I work outdoors. Lol

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Thanks. I can't wait to get used to the size and think the gs4 is small. Lol

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
+1 I came from the 4S as well. Took a few days to get used to it but this forum helped ALOT.

Yeah I love these mobile nations forums. They've helped me become a blackberry and iPhone expert. Lol

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you using both the BB and the iPhone right now. If it is a one for work and one for personal situation I would suggest researching KNOX Personal. The stub isn't on the phone, but easy enough to get. It would basically allow you to turn your Note 3 into two phones so you can carry one device instead of two.

I use it right now for that purpose specifically.

danbee46

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The above posters are absolutely correct. You will be surprised at how quickly you will become comfortable with the size of the III. And I am constantly amazed that it weighs so little. My wife has an iPhone and I have to keep from making any comments about how puny her screen looks. Of course, there's a learning cove but you can always come here to get information and advice. You're going to love this phone.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Are you using both the BB and the iPhone right now. If it is a one for work and one for personal situation I would suggest researching KNOX Personal. The stub isn't on the phone, but easy enough to get. It would basically allow you to turn your Note 3 into two phones so you can carry one device instead of two.

I use it right now for that purpose specifically.

nah. my work phone is an iphone and the blackberry was a personal. i know i am backwards in life, lol

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The above posters are absolutely correct. You will be surprised at how quickly you will become comfortable with the size of the III. And I am constantly amazed that it weighs so little. My wife has an iPhone and I have to keep from making any comments about how puny her screen looks. Of course, there's a learning cove but you can always come here to get information and advice. You're going to love this phone.

yeah i find myself missing the smallness of the iphone but really liking the speed and screen realestate of this phone.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
nah. my work phone is an iphone and the blackberry was a personal. i know i am backwards in life, lol

This sounds like you could use Knox. Well unless there is some requirement for the fruit.

If interested I can tell you were to get the stub.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
This sounds like you could use Knox. Well unless there is some requirement for the fruit.

If interested I can tell you were to get the stub.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Yeah work phone is on vpn so no go. Thank you for the consideration though. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Weight is fantastic. I've had mine since Verizon Day 1 and I still find it a little bulky to talk with (though not the end of the world). I have a bluetooth headset that I bought with it but the ear loop snapped already (>.<). Highly recommended though, makes talking on the phone much less annoying.

Screen Write is great. I had to get my Rx # for a a scrip refill so I was able to call home, turn screen write on, talk via BT and copy the number down to the screen. Awesome that you can use the phone to scribble quick notes when you're in the middle of a phone call. I also find it easier to use in the car for maps and such. It travels fine since the weight is so modest.

Really only downside is it will always be a bit bulky and awkward to hold to the ear but not so bad as to disrupt phone calls. I actually find it much easier to carry around than my old Samsung Stratopshere, which had a fair bit of weight thanks to the slider keyboard.

Morpheus

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am a current BB Torch 9860 user, and looking at the Note 3 as a possible upgrade. I work with a guy always chanting android, so I mentioned the Note 3 to him, and he said," don't get it, it's got touchwiz, its crap"...thoughts? I have had other people talk smack about touchwiz as well. So whats the deal with it? Is it a love/hate thing? I am looking at the Note 3 FOR the screen size. I have recently been told I need bifocals, and the bigger screen will help me with my mobile needs.

Torck screen is too tiny, and the Z30, will take forever to get to ATT, and has dated specs. (I'm tired of BB always being behind in tech)

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am a current BB Torch 9860 user, and looking at the Note 3 as a possible upgrade. I work with a guy always chanting android, so I mentioned the Note 3 to him, and he said," don't get it, it's got touchwiz, its crap"...thoughts?

If he is a fan of android I would be interested to know what phone and ui he is a fan of. The thing is, there is the pure "vanilla" stock android OS found on Nexus devices and then there is modified android from various manufacturers that have their own skin added on top with a variety of added features built into the OS. Touchwiz being Samsung's, an android OS with added features, tweaks and modifications. It is kind of a love hate thing, some like it and some don't. I'm in the camp of liking it. Touchwiz does bring a lot to the table in terms of added features and capabilities. Touchwiz is a heavier OS, meaning it is demanding on the system resources and in the past with lesser hardware that could and often did slow down the device. This is certainly not the case with the Note 3. Through hardware improvements and most certainly some software enhancements, the Note 3 is very fast and responsive. The user has the ability to utilize all, some or none of the added features offered through Touchwiz and not bog down the capabilities of the Note 3. There are a lot of very good and capable phones available today. You should spend some time trying them out at an AT&T store if you can and draw your own conclusions about what is best for you. You are the only one that can make that decision. If you're asking me, the Note 3 would be a great choice in my opinion.

Morpheus

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I had a Palm pilot years ago (dating myself), and always loved the stylus feature of it. The S pen brings that to the table, along with a host of useful apps that work for/with it. This would be a plus for me, and is why I have been leaning towards a Note 3. I am just new to Droid and wasn't sure if the touchwiz was good/bad. The little bit I have watched on youtube and played with in a store help solidify my thoughts on the device. I haven't really messed with an other Droids due to the S pen drawing me to it (pun intended)...

Maybe I will take your advice and tinker with some others just to make sure its what I want/need. Thanks!

My apologies to the OP, wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Just didn't want to create a new thread for my basic questions and clog the forum.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
TouchWiz isn't that bad. It eliminates a couple features from stock that I like (which makes no sense to me). You can just download a custom launcher like Nova if you really want to get those things back though. The S Pen was a strong selling point for me as well because it brought back memories of the HP Jornada Pocket PC I used back in college. I haven't quite gotten the pen working right with a word processor yet (partly because I keep trying to enter commands the way they were entered on the Pocket PC lol!) but that functionality is there which I like quite a bit. It's use as a pointer device is also super handy on the Note 3's smaller screen. The 1080p resolution means that it can be used as a serviceable desktop web browser in landscape mode as well (w/the right software). I find these features very handy for times when it would be inconvenient or impossible to use a larger device but I still need to get some things done.

If you're not quite sure you want this functionality in your phone (i.e. if you want a smaller phone) there are also the Note 8 and Note 10.1 tablets that use the s pen. I've had such a positive experience with my Note 3 so far that I'd been thinking of picking up the Note 10.1 myself.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
My apologies to the OP, wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Just didn't want to create a new thread for my basic questions and clog the forum.

No worries. We are all new learners to this phone. About a week in and I love it. Still finding new stuff daily

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

no1uknowdfw

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I loved my iPhone. But I have not missed it at all. Now I see iPhones as kids toys, I picked up one the other day and wondered how in the world I forced myself into that small little box. If more people would just try it for a couple of days the Note 3 would out sale all phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm